Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2024, 06:56 PM

1,852 posts, read 829,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
I don't think you guys are understanding the situation here. My cat is in MY BACKYARD GETTING ATTACKED. It is NOT out roaming the streets. I had to spend another $1000 to finish off the other side of my 6' fence with the topper of the cat fence as I didn't have it before because my neighbor has a dog. Apparently that cat didn't care and entered my yard and attacked my cat. So, I just installed the rest of it. It is STILL trying to enter my yard after my ENTIRE FENCE is covered in additional cat fencing.

We had the same situation when we lived in the suburbs, only the cat would sit on owner's roof & torture our dogs. It was a tom & did this godawful yowl all night. There was no talking to the neighbors, they did what they wanted. We borrowed a have-a-heart trap from a rescue organization, trapped the cat, took it to rescue organization. It took awhile to get the cat in the trap, we used some really fish-smelling cat food & disguised trap with a fender cover.

Now I live rural but have a neighbor who also just throws their cat out at night. They are far enough away that the cat usually doesn't bother the dogs, but it's unbelievable that they just throw the cat outdoors at night. It gets cold here, there are lots of predators, & people driving fast on dark country roads. They have "lost" around 7 cats that I could see. They just replace it with another "barn cat' is what the strays are called here. They don't have a farm.

I think people who leave cats outside at night are despicable. Every cat that's humanely trapped is being done a favor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2024, 07:04 PM

6,175 posts, read 4,558,515 times
How about checking out the neighborhood group on Facebook or NextDoor and see if anyone else is having trouble with this cat. If a few other people were involved, talking to the cat's owner(s) or their landlord might have a little more force behind it. You could also talk to some local shelter where they take in cats like the aggressive one and see if they have any suggestions on dealing with the behavior, or any deterrent ideas.

Old 04-10-2024, 07:24 PM

24,720 posts, read 11,055,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalWorth View Post
We had the same situation when we lived in the suburbs, only the cat would sit on owner's roof & torture our dogs. It was a tom & did this godawful yowl all night. There was no talking to the neighbors, they did what they wanted. We borrowed a have-a-heart trap from a rescue organization, trapped the cat, took it to rescue organization. It took awhile to get the cat in the trap, we used some really fish-smelling cat food & disguised trap with a fender cover.

Now I live rural but have a neighbor who also just throws their cat out at night. They are far enough away that the cat usually doesn't bother the dogs, but it's unbelievable that they just throw the cat outdoors at night. It gets cold here, there are lots of predators, & people driving fast on dark country roads. They have "lost" around 7 cats that I could see. They just replace it with another "barn cat' is what the strays are called here. They don't have a farm.

I think people who leave cats outside at night are despicable. Every cat that's humanely trapped is being done a favor.
so you took a cat with an owner to the pound because it tortured your dogs. I am so glad the new neighbor's cat does not bother your dogs.

Old 04-10-2024, 07:27 PM

24,720 posts, read 11,055,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
How about checking out the neighborhood group on Facebook or NextDoor and see if anyone else is having trouble with this cat. If a few other people were involved, talking to the cat's owner(s) or their landlord might have a little more force behind it. You could also talk to some local shelter where they take in cats like the aggressive one and see if they have any suggestions on dealing with the behavior, or any deterrent ideas.
Who knows if the cat is aggressive of it is OP. Would some shelter please take in the dogs of three of pour neighbors who are the local canine choir. Should I just bait and catch them to take them to the shelter of simply take care of business?

Old 04-10-2024, 08:54 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,480,058 times
Quote:
I don't think you guys are understanding the situation here. My cat is in MY BACKYARD GETTING ATTACKED. It is NOT out roaming the streets. I had to spend another $1000 to finish off the other side of my 6' fence with the topper of the cat fence as I didn't have it before because my neighbor has a dog. Apparently that cat didn't care and entered my yard and attacked my cat. So, I just installed the rest of it. It is STILL trying to enter my yard after my ENTIRE FENCE is covered in additional cat fencing.
I think it is you who does not understand.

The other cat does not understand outdoor boundaries, and neither does your cat. It is unreasonable of you to harm the other cat for normal cat behavior or to put your own cat into a situation where it might be harmed simply because you feel you are in the right and/or because you spent money on a fence topper that is not accomplishing what you hoped it would.

Your backyard is not a safe place for your cat, yet you don't seem to care enough about your cat to either build a CATIO for indoor/outdoor access or to keep your cat indoors, even though that is best for it.

Speaking from experience, we once had a wonderful cat who was allowed outside simply because we had never known of "indoor cats" growing up. To make a long story short, our cat died outdoors and we learned from our veterinarian how much happier and healthier it is for cats for them not to roam.

Our next cats lived indoors around 17 happy years each and neither would even try to get outside if once of us stepped outside briefly. We would only have indoor cats, perhaps with a catio, ever again.

It's what is best for them.

Old 04-10-2024, 09:02 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,480,058 times
Quote:
...I believe they are renters as the mailing address is not the same as the property address. ...
I am a very long term homeowner and my mailing address (at the post office) is not the same as my property address.

Old 04-11-2024, 04:43 AM

175 posts, read 56,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
Some people are simply bad. Just do it!
People who attack other people get arrested and put away. And if they kill someone, they may get put to death themselves.

Why should cats be any different?

Old 04-11-2024, 04:48 AM

175 posts, read 56,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by considerforamoment View Post
Live and let live.

If you need more protection, beef up your fence - put large cactus along the fence or plant dense, obstructive plants.

You can't control other people or animals (nor should you try).

There are no laws prohibiting cats from roaming because that is their nature and they should be allowed to do their thing.
So the OP should alter how he and his cats live ON HIS OWN PROPERTY because of a cat that's mean, nasty and aggressive?

There's so much I could say here, but I'm going to be nice.

Old 04-11-2024, 06:15 AM
Status: "It's WARY, or LEERY (weary means tired)" (set 2 days ago)

16,089 posts, read 21,212,980 times
Quote:
The way you are stating it is the cats are purposely refusing to understand why the fence is in place. They don't KNOW you're trying to keep them out, and sounds to me like your solution isn't really working as intended.
You don't need advice on your neighbors cats, you need advice on your yard and your cats.

You CANNOT control outdoor cats. Your neighbors aren't doing anything other than letting the cats outside, same as you do with your cats. Only difference is your cats can't get past the fence you put up. Short of offering to put a similar fence in the neighbor's yard there isn't much you can do to keep their cats in their own yard. It's not likely you can get renters or the LL to fence the yard unless it's legally required.
That doesn't leave you with a lot of options.

The safest, most reliable option for your cats has already been mentioned several times. The other options consist of killing, injuring, or scaring other animals off. For me killing and injuring are off the table, just because... morals. That leaves scaring, but cats aren't that smart so that usually means doing whatever over and over and over again. Not to mention the possibility of having to repeat the entire process again if (when) other free roaming cats come into your neighborhood.

Motion activated sprinkler
Soaker gun
Commercial or home made cat deterrents, citrus oils, coffee grounds, urine, etc.
Dog

Old 04-11-2024, 10:40 AM

22,403 posts, read 29,522,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post

Yes, I did a post on ND and was reached out by another neighbor who is also having issues. Except their cat hasn't been attacked. It's going into their yard and growling at their cats through the sliding glass door. They spoke to the cats owners face to face who basically said "oh well". So, they are those type of owners.

So, if the urine doesn't work, then I will attempt to trap it and take it to a shelter. They will have to pay to get the cat out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats