Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 08:38 PM

2 posts, read 5,613 times

Advertisements

Can anyone recommend a 'low ash' 'low protein' diet for a cat with bladder crystals. I see everyone agrees that is what is required but I would really appreciate specifics.

Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2011, 09:18 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,062,587 times
you would get better response if you start your own thread and not try to hijack one that is 3 years old.

Old 04-14-2011, 09:40 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,932,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hblitz View Post
Can anyone recommend a 'low ash' 'low protein' diet for a cat with bladder crystals. I see everyone agrees that is what is required but I would really appreciate specifics.

Thanks,
This might help.........Dog & Cat Homemade Struvite Diet (http://www.naturalhealthtechniques.com/recipes/Dog-Cat_Food_Struvite_Diet_files/Dog-Cat_Food_Struvite_Diet.htm - broken link)

Than, this is what the ash and magnesium content should be........
Friskies Special Diet: Ash 6.5 | Magnesium, .085
Purina Cat Chow Special Care Formula: Ash 6.2 | Magnesium .08
Iams Senior Formula For Cats: Ash 6.75 | Magnesium .099
Sensible Choice Chicken Meal & Rice Adult Cat Food Ash 5.5 | Magnesium .09

Good Luck, stay away from cheap end food.

Old 04-15-2011, 07:10 AM

2,455 posts, read 6,664,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hblitz View Post

Thanks,
Post above mine please don't follow the advice. None of those products would I feed my cats, and I have 10 FLUTD cats which if you don't know, is a fatal kidney disease.

Above all do not feed dry food. Your cat needs a lot of water right now, so supplement water (filtered or spring) with his food. Foxy posted a beautiful post explaining what to look for in canned food, and I am crossing my fingers I am not breaking forum rules by posting the link here for you:

//www.city-data.com/forum/18700159-post21.html

Here is a link for you to read with tons of information, not only how to feed a cat right, but so many other issues regarding cats.

Cat Nutrition.Org (http://www.catnutrition.org/index.php - broken link)
Feeding Your Cat Know the Basi

I have a blog in which I have posted my own home made recipe for my cats and here is the link for that.

//www.city-data.com/blogs/77400...n-of-eden.html

The information I posted here will take you days to get through. Education is the key here and believe me, seeing you are new here, there are many of us who have struggled with researching in order to know what the best foods are to feed our cats. Prevention is the BEST policy to minimize dis-ease in our cats. Just because your cat has problems now, doesn't necessarily mean he will in the future IF you take full responsibility for the health of your cat.

I wish you all the luck. And oh, yes, no kudzu has a point. When you want help, start your own thread. There is a button on the forum that says NEW THREAD. Push that and voila! A message box pops up for you to post your very own thread!

Old 08-25-2011, 10:19 AM

2 posts, read 5,926 times
My cat has a UTI and we have had him on the antibiotics for 4 days. He is still having issues peeing outside his box and is still licking his genitils A LOT. How long after they start the antibiotics do they start peeing int he box again? Or feeling better? He is peeing a lot more then he was, but it still looks like he is straining some.

Old 08-25-2011, 06:11 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,564,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddys mom View Post
My cat has a UTI and we have had him on the antibiotics for 4 days. He is still having issues peeing outside his box and is still licking his genitils A LOT. How long after they start the antibiotics do they start peeing int he box again? Or feeling better? He is peeing a lot more then he was, but it still looks like he is straining some.
If your cat has crystals in his urine he will continue to have pain, in spite of the antibiotics. Antibiotics cure bacterial infections only. Call your vet and tell the vet he is still showing symptoms. He may need a different antibiotic, but I urge you to ask your vet to send a urine sample out for a urine culture, to get a better idea of what is going on.

Depending on what you are feeding him, you may need to make some diet changes for him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garden of Eden View Post
Post above mine please don't follow the advice. None of those products would I feed my cats, and I have 10 FLUTD cats which if you don't know, is a fatal kidney disease.

....<snip>...
Though this is an old post, it needs clarification. FLUTD is NOT a fatal kidney disease, and is not fatal at all if managed properly.

FLUTD stands for Feline Lower Urinary Tract Disease and covers a lot of issues, including UTI, crystals, idiopathic cystitis (inflammation the cause of which is not known) to name a few.

Left untreated and unmanaged, FLUTD can lead to kidney problems, but they are NOT the same thing.

Old 08-29-2011, 01:05 PM

2 posts, read 5,926 times
So I took him BACk to the vet and he doesnt have any crystals in his urine and it is back to being yellow, but he is still peeing all over my house. He goes in his litter box and will do his business there(I clean the box in the morning when I get up, when I get home from work, and before I go to bed at night) but he will also go all around the living room as well. I have added wet food to his diet again as the vet said it would be good for him and we have a bowl of water on the floor, our shower has been dripping and he drinks that water, and any water from the plants and the sink if the urge hits him. How long is he going to pee EVERYWHERE!?? I have a 2 yr old at home and all this pee is very stressful on us all!! He is still on the antibiotics for the next week and doesnt seem to be straining or in pain any more. Seems like his old self except for the puddles!! HELP!!!

Old 01-07-2013, 01:12 AM

2 posts, read 3,686 times
I need some advice my male cat is an inside/outside cat, he goes outside to use the bathroom but this morning he was in my brothers room & my bf tried get him out but he wouldn't move so he picked him up & when he did he urinated in the floor a little bit which is not normal for him but I didn't think much of it until tonight. I noticed him sitting at the bedroom door crying a very unusual cry for him so I picked him up to check him out & took him to have my brother help me check cuz he seemed to be in a lot of pain, he noticed his penis was out a little(sorry tmi) & said to watch him & take him into the vet first thing tomorrow, he believes he has an infection somewhere, but right after he started straining like he was pushing or something & screaming several times & is still doing it off & on but sleeping for now...I have been looking on line & am thinking it is a blockage??? Any help is appreciated!

Old 01-07-2013, 05:32 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,564,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yadon View Post
I need some advice my male cat is an inside/outside cat, he goes outside to use the bathroom but this morning he was in my brothers room & my bf tried get him out but he wouldn't move so he picked him up & when he did he urinated in the floor a little bit which is not normal for him but I didn't think much of it until tonight. I noticed him sitting at the bedroom door crying a very unusual cry for him so I picked him up to check him out & took him to have my brother help me check cuz he seemed to be in a lot of pain, he noticed his penis was out a little(sorry tmi) & said to watch him & take him into the vet first thing tomorrow, he believes he has an infection somewhere, but right after he started straining like he was pushing or something & screaming several times & is still doing it off & on but sleeping for now...I have been looking on line & am thinking it is a blockage??? Any help is appreciated!
This is an emergency. Get him to the vet immediately. Your cat is in terrible pain and will die if given immediate medical care.

Old 01-29-2013, 09:06 AM

2 posts, read 3,589 times
My male cat was just treated for UTI, had all the liquid medication. But still is constantly licking. I'm stumped!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats