Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 10:20 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,262,871 times

Advertisements

I use a combo. My elderly cat had some digestive issues last fall and it's now wet food only for him with few ingredients. Grain free, meat protein for all of them. My female got addicted to dry, but now she gets into moods where she steals the old boy's wet food, so go figure. Maybe it's a dominance thing as the old boy doesn't control the food like he used to. The extra cat gets dry when I'm gone for the day and wet when I'm home.

Cats evolved to eat wet raw food - fur, feathers, guts, and bones. That's what cleans their teeth. Unfortunately, mine do not do well on a raw diet. You never see a cat out there chowing down in a soybean or corn field. That isn't the proper diet for an obligatory carnivore.

The other issue for a lot of cats is getting enough water. Wet food gives them a substantial amount of their water requirement. They evolved as desert animals who get water from their food and have a limited instinct to drink plain water. Dry food can cause problems for cats who aren't good at drinking enough water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2008, 02:12 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
Purina dry urinary food for our cats.Also give then alttile tuna as treats.My neighbor just had two cats live to be twenty teo which just passed and has another twenty years old. I personally believe like wet dog food it often gives them bowl problems and they would drink enough water if feed wet.Cats eat grass just liike dogs all the time if in the wild.

Old 09-02-2008, 11:23 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,659,169 times
From everything I've read, canned.

Old 09-02-2008, 12:38 PM

4,097 posts, read 11,481,166 times
We started to have a serious consipation issue with two older cats last year. All used to get IAMS weigh control dry exclusively. I did some research after $1000 in vet bills and found that carbs are possibly the biggest problem. We researched for a premium wet cat food with low carbs and they all are on it now. We soak it with water or homemade broth and their liquid intake is much higher. No vomiting from the older cat anymore. They love the wet food and there is never any left. Dry is out for a treat.

Coats are glossier, eyes are clear, cat with the problem looks thriftier/healthier. Just took in another urine sample to see how he is doing.

I have always been of the opinion a variety of foods is better than one kind. More possiblitiy of getting all the necessary vitamins and such. We used to rotate every day and fed a midrange food diet.

Old 09-05-2008, 08:54 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
Ask your vets and I bet the answer will surprise you. Not many bredders of cats and dog use canned food.

Old 09-06-2008, 09:53 AM

605 posts, read 2,990,160 times
Many vets were sent through vet school with the support of the dry food companies, and thus push their food. Plus, many vets aren't animal nutrition experts. If you really want the best for your cats and dogs, feed a raw foods diet - but most folks don't like dealing with organ meats and raw bones.

Old 09-10-2008, 06:47 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,277,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Ask your vets and I bet the answer will surprise you. Not many bredders of cats and dog use canned food.
I had this discussion with my vet a few days ago and she said canned is better then dry. Cats need as much water as possible which they don't get with dry cat food. If they were in the wild they would be living on mainly mice, which have soft tissue and bones.

Old 09-10-2008, 06:49 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,277,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
We started to have a serious consipation issue with two older cats last year. All used to get IAMS weigh control dry exclusively. I did some research after $1000 in vet bills and found that carbs are possibly the biggest problem. We researched for a premium wet cat food with low carbs and they all are on it now. We soak it with water or homemade broth and their liquid intake is much higher. No vomiting from the older cat anymore. They love the wet food and there is never any left. Dry is out for a treat.

Coats are glossier, eyes are clear, cat with the problem looks thriftier/healthier. Just took in another urine sample to see how he is doing.

I have always been of the opinion a variety of foods is better than one kind. More possiblitiy of getting all the necessary vitamins and such. We used to rotate every day and fed a midrange food diet.
If you don't mind me asking, what is the name of the canned food you are giving your cats?

Old 09-10-2008, 06:58 PM

8,815 posts, read 21,282,976 times
Fancy Feast is all that The Empress Gracie will eat. She especially likes the new chicken & veggies kind that are almost 85 cents a (tiny) can & she eats three of those a day plus dry food (anti-hairball ) .

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 09-11-2008, 06:37 AM

42 posts, read 117,343 times
Don't want to tread jack but can someone tell me, do you mix the dry and wet food together?

And anybody has any comments on pet Promise?

Also I am only giving wet food once a day now, can my cat become overweight if I start giving him twice a day + dry food??

thanks

Steph
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats