Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2008, 07:02 AM

573 posts, read 1,689,635 times

Advertisements

I have a kitty (approx. 1 year of age, female) that I found a few weeks ago. Since I've brought her in she has been having intermittent problems w/ using the litter box.

Background: kitty, about a week after I found her, ended up w/ an eye injury from being outside. She may have always been an outside cat. Since the eye injury she's been inside. She used to poop/pee outside the box, but for the past week she's been pooing in the box and peeing outside. But not just outside the box, she pees on the carpet, on the couches, on the floor (she even "buries" on the tile, it's pretty funny.)

The litterbox is clean and pristine, so much so I'M thinking of using it! She was recently on antibiotics and other meds, so not sure if that might be it. Could it be it just takes this long to get used to the box? Every other cat I had just "got it." I have two other cats and two other dogs. Everyone is finally getting along. I also have two kitty litter boxes, with hers all to herself.

She may not be fixed, the vet couldn't tell unless he shaved her. She had just had eye surgery and told him I'd take her in to get fixed after she healed from surgery if it turned out she wasn't. Could this be the problem as well? She's not spraying, just peeing wherever she pleases.

Any thoughts?

Cindy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2008, 07:10 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,187,952 times
I suggest keeping her in a small room, like the bathroom with the litter box and her food/water. If she continues to not go in the litter box, change the type of litter you are using being sure you use unscented. Some cats don't like the scented litter. Since she was an outside cat she may not realize that she should use the litter box only, since she had all of outside to do her thing.

If she still has a problem after a few days of being in the bathroom, I would suggest you have her blood sugar checked for diabetes.

You can do a search.. someone had this problem recently with their new kitty and putting her in the bathroom until she learned to use only the litter box worked for them.

Old 11-24-2008, 09:54 AM

Because she had an injury, she actually was already segregated in a small room on her own for about a week and a half, with the same results. I could move her to the bathroom (smaller) but it's getting painted so that's out. She's on unscented now. I'll try switching brands, though....hopefully that will work, I'm ready to pull out my hair!!!

Old 11-24-2008, 05:07 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,341,957 times
Several years ago we adopted a senior cat from the humane society. She had been in several families and returned because she would not make an attempt to actually go in the litter box--just the vicinity of it. We went to Walmart and got a package of dog training pads, put them around the litter box, and clean up was very easy. I would start there with your kitty. Then, when she is taken in for spaying, let the vet check her out. It may just be that she is getting acclimated to her new environment. I agree that she might not like the litter, so change to another brand. We had a wonderful cat years ago, and while Reggie was a sweetheart, it took him quite a while to learn how to use the litter box. Not all cats pick it up easily (slow learners).

Old 11-24-2008, 05:32 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,187,952 times
The smaller room is what where you want to put her.

SMX Great Idea I do this too.. I have a big male cat and he sometimes misses the sides when he is in the litter box even the covered ones. I put the litter box in a bigger oblong plastic box with a puppy pad just in case..

Old 11-24-2008, 05:38 PM

5,453 posts, read 8,221,113 times
Did your vet check for a bladder infection? I had a cat that kept doing her business on the couch, on the rug, and even in the dog bed. Took her to the vet and low and behold bladder infection is what it was.

Old 11-24-2008, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassy1 View Post
Did your vet check for a bladder infection? I had a cat that kept doing her business on the couch, on the rug, and even in the dog bed. Took her to the vet and low and behold bladder infection is what it was.
She had a full check up and blood workup prior to surgery, but not sure if they tested the urine. I'll have to call and find out.

Hopefully she's just a slow learner. Sometimes she goes in the box, sometimes she doesn't. I'm just tired of the pee and occassional turds....but she's cute x 100,000,000 so she makes up for it!

Old 06-18-2009, 10:34 AM

4 posts, read 33,475 times
I agree with Cassy- could be bladder problems. Years ago I had a male cat who suddenly started marching up to me and peeing right in front of me. lol imagine the look on my face....took him to the vet and sure enough, bladder infection. The vet even told me he has seen that kind of behavior before- he said it's almost as if the cat is trying to get your attention, to tell you something is wrong...

Old 06-18-2009, 10:48 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,024,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassy1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by playallday0421 View Post
I agree with Cassy- could be bladder problems. Years ago I had a male cat who suddenly started marching up to me and peeing right in front of me. lol imagine the look on my face....took him to the vet and sure enough, bladder infection. The vet even told me he has seen that kind of behavior before- he said it's almost as if the cat is trying to get your attention, to tell you something is wrong...

this was going to be my suggestion too .... i had a little female who was prone to kitty bladder infections .... this was back in the day when science diet was the ONLY food that was low-ash..... in any case, when she would get the bladder infections, she would pee in the sink and completely avoid her litter box.....

does it look like your kitty might be straining to pee with little to nothing coming out at times?? that is a SURE sign of a kitty bladder infection.... they develop crystals that can be painful during urination and can eventually block the urethra..... poor little things....

Old 06-18-2009, 11:56 AM

605 posts, read 2,989,381 times
I also suggest another vet visit. Infections can come up fast.
I'll post my favorite site for all things litterbox - it is really excellent advice:
THE LITTER BOX
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats