Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2011, 06:58 AM

27 posts, read 103,333 times

Advertisements

I have an automatic paper shredder that will seek out all paper in the house and shred it. Not only will it shred important financial documents you forgot to shred, it will shred paper you didn't think needed shredding, such as your paper towels and toilet paper. As a bonus, it uses no electricity and comes with an automatic "vibrate" function.

My cat will shred paper left out with his teeth (not claws). He started this as a kitten, but I thought it was because he was teething and would grow out of it. Now he's a cat, and it's still going on. Do you know how much paper there is in a roll of toilet paper once it's been shredded? I do. He usually does this when no one's around, so he can't just be corrected. What should I do?

Would anyone believe the excuse "My cat ate my homework?"

Edit---
I've tried keeping various types of paper hidden away, but my cat is very intelligent. After a couple weeks, he figures out how to open any drawers or cabinets that I put the various types of paper in, so just keeping it hidden away hasn't worked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2011, 02:35 PM

6,825 posts, read 9,061,623 times
My cat, a 6 year old orange tabby, will shred with his teeth any newspaper that is left on a chair in the breakfast nook. We end up with little bits of paper all over the floor. It's cute but also really annoying. I try to solve the problem by leaving the paper on the table instead of the chair. Unfortunately, my partner thinks it's cute and puts the paper back on the chair.

My other cat is fascinated by the paper shredder in our office. He's afraid of pretty much anything but he wants to get near the paper shredder when he hears the noise. I have to make sure he stays away from it.

Old 09-17-2011, 02:51 PM

2,886 posts, read 7,136,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithgreat View Post
I have an automatic paper shredder that will seek out all paper in the house and shred it. Not only will it shred important financial documents you forgot to shred . . .
Get that shredder a friend - what you need is a copy cat, who would make duplicates of everything - twice the fun!

Old 09-17-2011, 06:17 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,580,966 times
I have a couple of shredders, too.

My job requires me to complete many pages of paperwork at home. I came home one day to find a stack of paperwork all shredded at the edges. They didn't get to the middle, because there was, thankfully a large book acting as a paperweight.

How I dreaded the thought of redoing all that paperwork. I called my supervisor and said "The cat ate my paperwork". She thought I was making a joke at first, but then I explained in detail. She laughed and laughed. Then she said as long as nothing pertinent was chewed, she would accept it this one time.

Since then I am careful to keep all paperwork tucked in files away from little cat teeth.

I often wonder what the auditors thought that year, when they saw those particular papers.

Old 09-18-2011, 11:46 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times
My cat is not a "shredder". But he is very intent on supervising the printer and fax machine. Anytime the fax machine starts, he has to run over to it, and watch the entire process. Sometimes he just watches it, waiting for a fax. He has grabbed paper out of the fax, and drags it around the house. So, I have to look around to find faxes. Found one under the bed once, after I called the people to tell them I never received their paperwork, which they said they sent.

Jasper, fax theif.

Old 09-18-2011, 12:25 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,995,469 times
One of our cats is a grocery bag shredder. She loves the cheap plastic bags from Wal*Mart and Kroger and other stores. She crawls in and out of them and attacks them with both teeth and claws. They just shreds when she's finished with them.

Old 09-18-2011, 12:37 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,139,020 times
Leo was my mom's cat and when he was with her he was terrible about tearing up *any* paper in sight. After my mom died, and Leo came to live with us, we made special efforts to "protect" all paper items, including my most loved books. However, once he settled in, and started playing with the other cats he didn't bother paper. I think that he did it previously because he was bored.

20yrsinBranson

Old 09-19-2011, 06:54 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,633,921 times
Our kitty is a shredder. I don't dare take her paper away because I am afraid she will start on my books! She especially likes that long craft paper that is commonly used as packing material. She carefully tears off a little 1/2" square with her teeth, spits it out, then rips off another - all pieces almost exactly the same size and shape. Like she needs confetti for a parade or something, cracks me up.

Old 09-19-2011, 07:31 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,580,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tilli View Post
Our kitty is a shredder. I don't dare take her paper away because I am afraid she will start on my books! She especially likes that long craft paper that is commonly used as packing material. She carefully tears off a little 1/2" square with her teeth, spits it out, then rips off another - all pieces almost exactly the same size and shape. Like she needs confetti for a parade or something, cracks me up.
Yep, there is always a big wad of brown packing paper in the middle of my living room floor. One uses it for shredding, the others use it for temporary forts and burrows.

There is also the all important Chewing Box, for the cats who prefer cardboard to paper shredding

(click on pics to play videos)

Last edited by catsmom21; 02-17-2012 at 05:28 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats