Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 03:22 PM

1,297 posts, read 4,770,145 times

Advertisements

I have 2 adult females kitties and took in a stray that is now 5 months and 6 lbs and drives older kitties crazy by wanting to play all the time. So yesterday I adopted another 6 week old so Little Bit will have a playmate closer to his age and leave older kats alone more. They are all indoor cats
and get equally spoiled.

My wife thinks I'm turning into a crazy old cat man but I'm disabled and home all day every day and they keep me sane.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2008, 04:35 PM

605 posts, read 2,989,960 times
Two! Especially if you plan on getting kitten. I have found that gender does not matter.

Old 12-29-2008, 04:49 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
One.
If you are talking about two sibling kittens...they will be close to each other, but will have less reason to pay the slightest attention to you.
If you are talking about two unrelated kittens/cats you want to get at the same time...they might want to pay attention to you, but they could hate each other and proceed to pee all over your house.
Cats do not need the company of other cats. They just want to be left alone unless they are hungry. If they FEEL like it, they might play with you once in awhile.

Old 12-29-2008, 05:10 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,420,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
One.
If you are talking about two sibling kittens...they will be close to each other, but will have less reason to pay the slightest attention to you.
If you are talking about two unrelated kittens/cats you want to get at the same time...they might want to pay attention to you, but they could hate each other and proceed to pee all over your house.
Cats do not need the company of other cats. They just want to be left alone unless they are hungry. If they FEEL like it, they might play with you once in awhile.
I have two littermates...brother and sister and they are as bonded to me and my family as any other cat we have had. It sounds as tho you have had a very bad expeirence with cats. Sorry...

Old 12-29-2008, 05:17 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
I have two littermates...brother and sister and they are as bonded to me and my family as any other cat we have had. It sounds as tho you have had a very bad expeirence with cats. Sorry...
Ya, maybe. I do not have siblings, but the two I have are not good companions.

Old 12-29-2008, 09:09 PM

1,464 posts, read 1,026,948 times
Definitely Two!

Old 12-29-2008, 09:14 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,420,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Ya, maybe. I do not have siblings, but the two I have are not good companions.
Not to say that all cats will get along. My two are the only siblings and littermates. The others have been brought in singularly. All 5 get along famously, but each cat that was brought in was brought in as a kitten. I would never attempt to bring in an adult. That would create havoc with my group. With a kitten they seem to instinctively know it is a kitten and treat it as such. Even with 5, they have all bonded with me and the family. In fact, we call 3 of them velcro kitties...follows us around like dogs. Of course, I think the breed plays a part in their behavior as well.

Old 12-29-2008, 10:08 PM

412 posts, read 939,371 times
In most circumstances, I recommend two. Ideally, get kittens that are littermates or already know each other, so you won't have any personality conflicts. Kittens like to play a LOT, so you will probably like that they play with each other sometimes. Most cats would probably prefer some company, especially if you're out all day.

I've never heard of cats getting sick of each other over the years. My cats annoy each other sometimes, but they mostly like (or tolerate) each other.

If you're adopting from a shelter, you might be able to get a "deal" if you adopt a pair. (Of course, if you can afford it, it's nice if you can donate the savings back to the shelter). Shelters love to adopt out pairs of cats or dogs that already know and like each other.

Last edited by skchi; 12-29-2008 at 10:19 PM..

Old 12-30-2008, 09:03 AM

2,221 posts, read 2,926,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbm32206 View Post
Although I don't feel that cats are really all that lonely when at home alone, they know how to entertain themselves just fine. However, having two instead of one, offers each other a playmate.

I also hope that you would keep your kitty (or kitties) strictly inside...it's not safe, (especially in the city where there's traffic and people) to let them fend for themselves and their safety, outside. Of course, if you live in the country where you have lots of land, that's a different story.
Yes I will definitely only keep my kitten inside. I have done my research and found that nothing good comes out of letting cats outside.

Sorry it took me so long to respond, I have been busy. We just got a kitten about a week ago and are going back and forth on whether to get it a playmate. Just thinking when the kids go back to school, she won't have all this excitement that she does now. Thanks for all of the insight.

Old 12-30-2008, 10:54 AM

1,684 posts, read 3,955,448 times
definately get another....my 2 are lost when the other is missing....I had The Mooch and Tyson moved in and she hated everything and everybody, but deferred to Moochie as the "elder statesman" ....she knew he'd beat the crap out of her if she acted up. When Bubba moved in, she was intimitated by his size and behaved around him.... she disappeared and a few months later Annabelle Lee's litter was born and 6 mos later she moved in with us.....She's always had a big brother.... and doesn't like being an only cat.

Buckley, my mom's cat, was an only for awhile and he drove my parents crazy, needed someone to aggravate and bully and then they found Peanut.....he had a friend!!! Peanut got sick and went to kitty heaven and Buckley was driving my parents crazy again.....even started nipping when they wouldn't do what he wanted them to!!! along came Trouble..... she fits her name. When my mom got where she couldn't care for the cats, my sister took them....she now has 4 Siamese, 1 Domestic shorthair and a golden retriever.....Buckley had plenty of friends to aggravate!.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats