Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2009, 05:56 PM

1,116 posts, read 2,962,874 times

Advertisements

One of my kitties absolutely adores bread. (well, both do, they're from the same litter) But one, Crowley, will go to all lengths to get it, tearing through plastic wrap and tinfoil and generally wreaking havoc on anything that stands in his way. We have a special bread cabinet now because of it.

Well as I was making pizza dough today, he got very upset at the smell of bread and not being able to have any. While I wasn't looking he apparently grabbed a foil packet of yeast, tore through it and ATE THE YEAST.

I'm not too worried..but should I be? Bread is one thing..but I was pretty sure that cats shouldn't eat straight yeast. Should I be expecting tummy troubles?

Thanks for any help. I love him to death, but his addiction is driving me bonkers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2009, 10:03 PM

1,688 posts, read 8,145,302 times
- Hmmm. That's a new one.

I would expect a bit of digestive upset... but I have to admit I've not run across a yeast scoffing cat before. I would suggest first and foremost you call your vet and ask what sort of reaction to expect.

It's interesting because with cats being pure carnivores would not, normally, be attracted to bread. But as all the food/nutrition research has shown, cats can easily become addicted to grains/high carb content in the cheaper cat foods. If you are feeding a cat food packed full of grains and with a high carb content, you cat may have made the connection that bread=food. (What food are you feeding the cat?)

But your cat went for the yeast and ate it... which is, I'd have thought, rather unusual. I have a few theories, but it all comes back to the great unknown of what food you're currently feeding your cat.

If you are feeding a high grain content/high carb cat food, I'd suggest you really need to look at changing foods to a grain-free diet. Cat's derive no nutrition from grain, but it can be highly addictive to cats. Seeing as you seem to have one of the more determine addicts out there, I'd suggest it's something you need to seriously consider.

Old 03-27-2009, 10:29 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,811,151 times
Many of my cats have loved the smell of bread and some have tried to eat it. One of them once opened the kitchen cabinet, pulled out a fresh loaf, and ate about 1/2 of it before he stopped. He then proceded to vomit it up over the next couple of hours (after I had come home and found the remains of the bread).

Old 03-28-2009, 07:08 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,410,939 times
We have 2 that would kill for bagels or any kind of bread. Nothing like that can be left on the counter, you can be sure, when you come home, the ziploc bag will be torn and little bite marks all over the food. They also both love any kind of crackers! My DH will give each of them a small piece..and they will choose that over any kind of cat treat! Straight yeast, I'm not too sure about!

Old 03-30-2009, 08:16 AM

1,437 posts, read 4,605,699 times
Your cat should be ok after eating yeast ,might have to go to the litter box more than usual

Old 03-30-2009, 11:01 AM

1,116 posts, read 2,962,874 times
He turned out fine. No upset tummy even.

As far as the food he gets, we feed him 9Lives dry (the only kind he'll eat), supplemented with bits of raw beef, chicken, and fish (whatever I'm cooking for us). I've heard it's not an amazing brand, but he's got a sleek, healthy coat, no weight issues, and he's generally really healthy. His sister is pretty much the same. We've had him since he was a kitten, and he's never really liked wet cat food, or the higher quality brands of food. Plus he eats so much (probably from bouncing off the walls so much) that it's nice he prefers the cheap stuff.

I think it really is the yeast he likes though. He won't touch crackers, rice, biscuits, cookies, or anything else that doesn't have yeast in it. Glad to know I'm not the only one with a carbo-kitty though, lol.

Old 03-30-2009, 01:33 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,468,580 times
My older cat eats bread too. He will go after the crusts on my plate after I'm done eating and throw them onto the carpet for some light snacking before leaving the crumbs everywhere.

No, no, it's okay. I don't mind vacuuming. AGAIN!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats