Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 05:27 PM

387 posts, read 607,965 times

Advertisements

Our cat WILL NOT sit still. I swear he outsmarts me too. Just when I have him all set up and senses that a drop is about to fall out of the tube, he moves his head and makes me miss, which makes a mess of the washer/dryer, since it's oil-based. Every time it's a fightr to get ';em in. He DEFINATELY doesn't like it, but that's what the vet said to do.

I'm successful every time, but does anyone know how to calm him down while I'm putting the drops? I found one way, but I stopped doing it after two times, since it involves me scooping him up while he's sleeping to bring him to the washroom, and I don't want to bother him while he's sleeping.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2009, 05:34 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,117,979 times
I usually go for the petting and loving until he is all happy then get him into position and *whammo*. I do the same for clipping nails. It isn't that the nail clipping really bothers him it is just that he doesn't like me handling his paws so if he is all relaxed and happy I can usually get away with it.

Old 05-09-2009, 06:33 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,846,929 times
Try some Feliway, used to calm cats. It may or may not work. I havce to give fluids to one of my cats and I swear she is psychic! When I look at her and think about doing it, she runs under the bed. Good luck!

Old 10-18-2019, 05:03 PM

294 posts, read 180,837 times
This is a very old post, but we have the same issue. Giving ear drops sounds easy and looks easy on YouTube, but she is wiggling and moving and eventually hissing. The drops are super thick too. If I have to do this for 10 days (!), she will hate us after! So far, not one drop went in, and she is now grumpy. :-(

Any ideas? Will try the snuggle idea tomorrow ...

Old 10-18-2019, 05:33 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,591,664 times
I'm doing ear drops at the moment too, but luckily my cat actually goes into the bathroom where it's done and asks for them, because she knows they make her feel better. She screams down the house while I'm doing it though but that's just her way.

Important to talk to the cat, tell her what's going on and why. Be confident, not hesitant.

Are you using the holding position? Kneel on the floor hold cat between your knees facing out, feet crossed behind you. Give a treat. Tell her what you are doing and why, do the ears, massage them, and give a high value treat after.

Alternately, wrap cat in a towel, or get a restraint bag.

https://smile.amazon.com/s?k=cat+res...nb_sb_ss_i_1_9

Old 10-18-2019, 05:42 PM

My husband was holding her. I tried to get the drops in. I was surprised how thick they were. Would be easier if they just go in instead of sticking to her ear hair...will try the treat and towel version next. I guess her diet have to wait till after this. Hahaha she is now exhausted and sleeping.

Old 10-18-2019, 06:46 PM

6,150 posts, read 4,525,082 times
We had our rescue cat about 2 months when we had to do this. I would pick her up and put her on the kitchen counter - in a corner, no backing up, talk to her, show her the bottle, grab an ear and drop. You need about 4 hands to do this, but the corner keeping her in place was really helpful.

If you have someone hold her, have her in between their legs and have them get her head in kind of a four point hold, thumbs in back and some other fingers on the jaw bone. Then you have to open the ear and get the drops in. Whether this is fast or slow is up to her and if she can't manage it, wrap her like a burrito and do what you have to. Then give her a treat, a good one.

I always showed her the bottle so she wouldn't be afraid every time she saw me. And don't get tense. My cat can sense tension and good luck finding her. Just pick her up and do it.

Old 10-18-2019, 07:37 PM

Thanks - and we will have to try again tomorrow with more “firmness”.

This evening I could at least manage to get one drop in each ear. I was talking to her, showing the bottle (I had it close to my body so it’s warm) and feeding her treats ...while sneaking one drop into the left ear. She got smarter with the second one so I put her between my legs. But she eventually jumped out. She is fast! She is now “bathing” herself (was a terrible day for her) but at least close to me so it seems to be ok.

Learning every day. Have had cats for so many years but never an ear issue. She is also “over grooming” herself on her belly and the vet hopes she stops it by herself after she got fully accustomed. But first we deal with the ears :-)

Old 10-18-2019, 09:39 PM

6,150 posts, read 4,525,082 times
I held the treats until last. Several times she would get the last drop and jump off the counter and run away - but reappear in the kitchen doorway, looking wet and angry, but wanting the treat. And I felt matter-of-factness more than firmness. She had to have the drops and it wasn't a punishment, so I'd just babble about how I was sorry and had had ear infections myself, and drops, and I knew how it felt and on and on and we'd be done and she'd run off - but come back for what was owed her. She didn't hate us when it was over and if she looked suspicious, I'd show her empty hands.

I put her on the kitchen counter because I wanted her to have a bad association and not jump on there, but I never told her that.

Old 10-19-2019, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post

I put her on the kitchen counter because I wanted her to have a bad association and not jump on there, but I never told her that.

Smart!!! We are about to “wrestle“ her down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats