Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2009, 07:12 AM

973 posts, read 3,304,255 times

Advertisements

For years, I took my cats to a family veteranarian practice. Dr. Doug was their primary vet and had been a vet for over 20 years. Whenever my cats needed their teeth cleaned, he would "crack" the tarter off of their teeth in the exam room. It took about 2-3 minutes and he never charged a dime extra. Kitties didn't exactly love the process but it was quick and they were hardly traumatized by any stretch of the imagination.

Fast forward...........I have been searching for a new vet since I left Ohio who will crack the tarter from my cats teeth and all these younger vets seems horrified by the idea. WTH!!! They insist that it traumatzes the cat and will not do it. They insist upon putting the cat under and doing the teeth cleaning.

I would never put my cat through anything that would hurt or scare her but I think this is so silly. Instead of a quick teeth cleaning after an exam like my cats used to get, now I'm expected to drop Emme off for an entire day just to get her teeth cleaned and pay a big, whopping charge for it too.
I suppose I could load Emme up in the car and drive to Ohio. It will cost less in gas than what the vet wants to charge me. I feel like I am just paying the rent for their fancy office.

Is it just me or has anyone else noticed these younger ones coming out of school are going the more costly route for routine things? Anyone else out there still get the tarter "cracked" on their cats teeth without the expensive all day visit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2009, 09:35 AM

1,280 posts, read 6,977,848 times
Your old vet was not practicing good medicine. Sorry. Chipping the tarter off like that does nothing for what's underneath the gumline, which can be a significant source of irritation and infection. Also, scraping off their teeth without polishing them leaves tiny scratches in the enamel. This leaves the tooth extra vulnerable to bacteria and increased plaque and tarter build-up. He was temporarily making the teeth look better, but setting them up for more problems in the long run. It's a good thing he didn't charge you for it!

If you are dead-set against anesthesia there are people who will perform 'anesthesia-free dentals'. They have all the problems I just mentioned, but they're out there if you insist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats