Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 11:52 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,345,799 times

Advertisements

Julius has been found! the little stinker found his way back into our yard. after much digging around, it's become apparent he doesn't belong to anyone on our block, and it doesn't look like he was taken care of during the few days he was gone (seems a bit skinnier, dirtier). still super friendly, but I've come to the conclusion that he is likely an abandoned pet (sadly, there are a lot of these in our area)

now that he's back, we need to come up w/ ways to keep him from sneaking out. he's a fast little bugger and zooms out the second we open the door. I'm hoping neutering him will help a bit w/ the roaming issues. anyone have any idea on keeping him in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2009, 12:11 AM

7,835 posts, read 8,439,670 times
YAY!!!!! Welcome home, Julius!!

Old 09-28-2009, 04:47 AM

48,133 posts, read 22,004,457 times
YIPEE! I am so glad for you and Julius. I think you are right that neutering him will make him more of a "home boy"; I think that you will need to be hyper-vigilent about not letting him slip out till he has lived with you for several weeks and really gotten used to having all his meals at your house.

I have had cats but am no expert by any means.......but I think "home" is built on having a place to be.... where needs are met, where we feel safe and surroundings are familiar and routines anticipated and satisfying. Habit=habitat. It takes a little while.

When I kept chickens.....you had to keep them in the "hen house" all the time before you could open the door and let them out and know they would come "Home to Roost".

Love him up, feed him, let him get the feel and smell of home......and do take care of his hormones.

Congratulations.

Old 09-28-2009, 10:06 AM

1,765 posts, read 4,349,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
YIPEE! I am so glad for you and Julius. I think you are right that neutering him will make him more of a "home boy"; I think that you will need to be hyper-vigilent about not letting him slip out till he has lived with you for several weeks and really gotten used to having all his meals at your house.

I have had cats but am no expert by any means.......but I think "home" is built on having a place to be.... where needs are met, where we feel safe and surroundings are familiar and routines anticipated and satisfying. Habit=habitat. It takes a little while.

When I kept chickens.....you had to keep them in the "hen house" all the time before you could open the door and let them out and know they would come "Home to Roost".

Love him up, feed him, let him get the feel and smell of home......and do take care of his hormones.

Congratulations.

What Elston said, so well. Get that little stinker fixed, for sure.

Yay that OJ is "home"...and I hope he does realize very soon that it's a wonderful home!

Old 09-28-2009, 12:24 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,187,018 times
I'm glad Julius came back. By all means, get his equipment removed. He is used to living outside. Now he's got to get used to living indoors if you want him to have a long life, unless your environs are unusually favorable. My cats don't have any desire to go outside, and in this trafficky neighborhood, it's a good thing.

Old 09-28-2009, 06:07 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,345,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catfancier View Post
What Elston said, so well. Get that little stinker fixed, for sure.

Yay that OJ is "home"...and I hope he does realize very soon that it's a wonderful home!
oh lord, we are not nicknaming him "OJ"! too creepy! just Julius, or Jules

Old 09-28-2009, 06:11 PM

5,296 posts, read 7,236,621 times
I'm happy for you and Kitty but......
Have you checked to see if he is lost first?
Someone might be missing their Pet.
And some Cats just *travel.lol.

Last edited by Summerz; 09-28-2009 at 07:19 PM..

Old 09-28-2009, 06:47 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,020,411 times
I agree with Summerz - it could just be a lost pet, in which case, the owners are heartbroken. Feral cats aren't friendly. Contact the local Animal Control for reports, the Animal Hmane shelter (s), etc... I don't mean to rain on your parade, but if this cat belongs to someone else, it needs to go home. There are a lot of other cats that need a home.

Old 09-28-2009, 06:58 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,424,202 times
If no one claims him, would get him microchipped when you get him neutered (they'll likely scan him before chipping him so you'll know if he belongs to someone else). So glad you got him back though!

Old 09-29-2009, 08:42 PM

622 posts, read 1,724,331 times
I would personally neuter him, no matter who he belongs too. people that cant afford to or dont want to neuter/spay their pets simply shouldn't have them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats