Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 03:45 PM

628 posts, read 2,078,779 times

Advertisements

I am really at my wit's end with him!! He is approx 4 years old and a domestic short hair. He has the absolute biggest mouth I've ever heard on a cat. Every morning he starts at 4:30 literally screaming until I get up and feed him and then at least 3 to 4 times a day he will start meowing and screaming non stop. I will call him over try to give him attention and it does not stop. He was brought to the vet and received a perfect bill of health. The vet suggested using a spray bottle to spray him when he acts up; every time I reach for it he runs away and when I put it down he comes back and starts all over again! At this point he is really affecting me and my wife's life and putting my stress level over the top!!! At first we thought this was just a stage but this has been well over a year now. I really want to try to quiet him down because he is part of my family and I couldn't get rid of him...it wouldn't be right. By the way he is an indoor cat and I have another indoor cat which is quiet as a mouse. Pleas help me if you can. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2008, 04:07 PM

2,206 posts, read 3,361,673 times
Sounds like my cat! He wakes me up every morning at 4 AM. He'd like me to get up but sometimes I rub his chin and he'll fall asleep on my pillow for almost an hour. Then he wants me to get up and feed him (although the food is out 24 hours a day). He'll climb on my bed frame, gnaw on the furniture edges (that makes me move quickly!) or knocks things down, all in efforts to get me out of bed. We know a few other cats that do this, too! My guy's a siamese. Have you thought about getting him a cat buddy? I have...and I'm afraid then I'd have two cats waking me up at 4 AM!

Old 04-25-2008, 04:15 PM

1,378 posts, read 6,212,143 times
How many times a day do you feed him? We feed ours twice a day. So my idea was to maybe feed him later in the evening so it will tide him over till morning? I wish we could leave food out, so we wouldn't have to deal with it either, but my cats don't seem to have a control mechanism to make them stop eating.

In the meantime, I have this funny video I'd love to share with you or anyone else who wants to see, it's hilarious- it's exactly how my little monsters act in the morning when they want to be fed. I posted the picture on here, but I don't know how to post a video. It was sent to me via email by a friend of mine. Can I even post a video? I'm not sure. If you want to see it, just send me a DM with your email address and I'll forward it to you. You'll get a laugh out of it for sure.

Old 04-25-2008, 05:13 PM

628 posts, read 2,078,779 times
I love that video....It's one of the funniest one's I've seen!! The other post suggested getting another cat. I already have one and it's the quietest cat...the complete opposite of my little problem.

Old 04-25-2008, 05:33 PM

190 posts, read 764,398 times
My cat is similar in character, meows and meows 4:00am, it does help when I make sure to fill his bowl at bedtime. But other times he meows real loud at dusk and dawn, the times when a cat usually prowls out side, I think. My cat was born in the alley by my house. His mother left him on my front porch step, at midnight, but then I had to chase him around the yard in my nightgown, now he is my mama's boy. Anyway I think that incessant cry is out of boredom, a little attention and he stops. At 4am, I just ignore him or get up. I know that doesn't help you, sorry. throw a shoe at him, he he , just kidding!

Old 04-25-2008, 06:53 PM

240 posts, read 1,284,791 times
Is this cat Siamese, or part Siamese? They are known to be 'talkers' although mine is very quiet and even when he meows, it's a mere whisper.

Is there a room you can shut him up in at night, or whenever he behaves like this? Or, can you get a cage or kitty-condo that you keep him in at night? The kind that they use at kennels and animals shelters. You can place food dishes, a litter box and a nice comfy bed in there for him. Place it in an area where he is out of hearing range from your bedroom, possibly an attached garage. Provide a space heater during the winter to keep the area warm.

It may sound cruel to some people but it really is better than the alternative which is probably what you're thinking about at this point: getting rid of him.

If you live in a small apartment, this may not be an option for you.

It sounds like he is bored and wants to go outside. I have a cat, now an indoor cat who used to be an outdoor kitty, and occasionally he'll run around the home squawking, but not apparently to the degree your cat is doing this.

You really do sound quite upset over this, and I can certainly understand why. This cat sounds like he is very annoying. I hope you can figure something out to at least prevent him from interfering with your sleep, but it could be this cat has a personality disorder.

Old 04-25-2008, 08:24 PM

2,178 posts, read 9,578,995 times
I liked your attitude about him being part of your family and not getting rid of him, that is exactly how I feel about mine. So many people just dump their problems out on the streets.

I just wanted to share with you what I did as a last resort with a problem cat that was my Mothers. Mama died in 1999 and my sister had her until last year when they moved across country and I took her. When I brought her to live with me, I had 3 others and it did not go well at all. She hated being here, was not a happy cat and it was pure hell. She bit me twice and was constantly attacking my other cats. I had tried all I knew to try and there was nothing else to try so I gave this a try and it made that cat do a complete turn around and she is now a totally different cat. She is HAPPY, sweet and loving now...

What did I do? I used a pet psychic that some people I know have tried and had great results with. You email her pictures of the cats, send her a list of questions you want answers for and somehow, she reads them through the picture, writes down what she learns from the cat and calls you on the phone.

I know there are many out there who think this kind of thing is hog wash but what this woman did for this cat was unbelievable. She told me things that I didn't know and I had to call my sister to verify she was right. She told me things about my sister and my Mama that with all the researching in the world, she could never have found and known. One thing she told me was this cat is ANGRY! ANGRY! ANGRY! Mama's death tramatized her (she was laying on Mama's chest when she died) and since Mama died, she feels like she has never been able to get her footing anywhere and has been yanked and yanked around, never setteling or belonging anywhere.. My sister moved around a lot between the time Mama died and I got her.. I knew my sister had moved several times but in actually counting the moves, it was a lot more than what I remembered. I had asked her if she would be happier if I sent her to live with my sister again and she told me "NO! Do not do that! Your spirit is most like your mothers and she sees that. If she has even a slight chance at being happy, it will only be with YOU!" This woman did not know me from Adam (<old saying) so she had no way of knowing I was the most like my Mama, which I am. She also told me a lot of personal stuff that I won't go into that answered some things I had wondered about for a long time. She does a follow up call several days later to answer any questions you may have from the first reading.

I have to tell you, the turn around started as soon as the phone rang. Boo came sat at my feet the whole time I was on the phone with this lady and left when I hung up. That night, the change started and while it has taken months, peace came back to my house again. Every month I saw another hudge improvement in her. I am so thrilled that Boo is such a happy cat now. It was an amazing experience.

I had her read my handicapped girl also. Amy has CH (cerebella hypoplasia) and during the winter months she can hardly walk and looks like she feels miserable, I wanted to know if her winter problems were due to her CH or something else and what I could do to help her feel better. She reccomended I put her on Cosequin, I did and it has made a big differance in her.

This woman was a life saver for my house. My heart just swells with so much love for Boo when I see how happy she is now and she has slowly come around to having a Mom that pampers, pets, grooms and loves on her all day now. Amy feels better so she is more affectionate and begging for attention all day too now that she can move without so much pain. I have one more I want her to read just because she is the funniest cat I ever had and I want to know what she is thinking when she is acting so funny... she is a real clown!

If you want to give it a try, just respond and I will personal message you her email address and her fee.. To me, I found her to be unbelievably cheap for how accurate she is. She could charge so much more for what she does and get it. She stays booked up and it takes 4 to 6 weeks for her to get to your cat once you contact her. It was well worth the wait and the money for me.

Sorry if this sounds like a sales pitch! I assure you it isn't. I only know her as I as I have told you here....I do not personally know this woman and have never met her except as I explained here.

Old 10-26-2010, 05:14 PM

2 posts, read 6,544 times
HELP HELP HELP!!!! Laura, I joined this site so I can message you & I don't know how. I am desperate! I found my kitty when she was a few weeks old & bottle fed her & I love her, she seemed to be just fine until the past year or so. We moved to NY from LA 2 1/2 years ago & she pees on things randomly, scratches up shoes, meows in the middle of the night, runs outside & then meows at 2am to come in--- my husband hates her & has begged me to get rid of her since we moved in... but he's nice to her because that's what someone told us, so she'll be good, for him to feed her & pet her & give her treats, but it's not working & she just peed on our brand new uber-expensive sofa & seriously, I think he's going to go drop her off in a remote location or a pet shelter soon if things don't abruptly change! It's a huge strain on our marriage. ANY help would be so so welcome!!!! Thank you!!
Jessi

Old 10-27-2010, 09:36 PM

5,168 posts, read 11,439,950 times
Have you had your kitty checked by a vet for a urinary infection? I would do this first to rule that out. Is she spayed??? If there are no medical problems, I think your kitty is extremely stressed out and is urinating because she feels insecure and stressed. Even if your husband "acts nice" she probably picks up that he does not like her. I would try confining her to one room with lots of toys, a litter box, cat beds and food and water. Spend some time with her everyday and talk to her in a calm voice, play with her and give her some love. I would try the Feliway plug ins and possibly Rescue remedy for pets. (you can purchase this in pet stores or try Amazon. Maybe someone else will come along with more ideas.... good luck to you and let us know how she does.

forum rules, please read them

Old 08-07-2011, 09:51 PM

2 posts, read 6,544 times
Yes, she is spayed & she has seen the vet in hopes that it was something fixable & not just behavioral. I have used feliway & while it made her more affectionate it didn't stop the peeing in my bed.

Good news!!! Things have gotten a lot better--- we've figured out exactly what it is she likes to pee on, really anything soft & fluffy--- unfortunately it's the feel of our bed's duvet or a basket of laundry… also if her box isn't immaculate-- scooped after single time she goes in, she goes outside of it (on something soft)--- to remedy these things we never leave out laundry, had to take off our duvet cover & use a regular blanket (boo), & purchased her an automatically cleaning litter box. Luckily she hasn't since peed on the couch! It was on a soft blanket on said couch when it happened.

The thing is, when I moved in, my husband was really excited to have a kitty because he'd never had one, so he was definitely nice to her at the start & then was put off after repeated episodes of peeing on our things & the other things she does just added to the annoyance. In regards to the other things, we moved our shoes to a high door rack where she can't reach them, she still runs out the front door but has gotten better about quietly waiting until we get up in the morning to let her in if she stays out & I make sure to always fill her bowl when she stays in so she doesn't wake us up to feed her. My husband likes her a lot better now, especially because a few months ago she brought this disgusting decaying dead bird to the porch & stood proudly over it when he went to let her in, she clearly found the bird & in cat that's a great prize, so he was touched by her "present" even though it was nasty. So things are coming along much better. Thank you everyone for your input
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats