Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 08:30 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,831,224 times

Advertisements

I have a cat in the house, 2 kittens outside, and I'm caring for my aunt's 6 kittens for a week.

One litter of my aunt's kittens was purring as soon as they saw me. The other litter, not so much.

My kittens purr a lot. My house cat usually only purrs at night.

Why do some cats seem to purr at the first sign of happiness, and others seem happy but don't purr often? I guess it's just because they have different personalities. But I was wondering if anybody else noticed this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2009, 08:47 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
According to animal behaviorists, cats purr not to show happiness but to show sociableness, approachability. Mother cats pur while giving birth. Some cats just aren't social.

Old 10-03-2009, 08:56 PM

41,958 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Both my cats love to purr. BoyKitty purrs if you just look at him the right way; he seeks attention a lot (a lot!) so he can purr while he's being petted. He also purrs when he wants food. (he saw "Sucker!!!" printed on our foreheads from day one) He gets so into it that he forgets to breathe and his purring rhythm gets all messed up. He gets all unglued; it's the funniest thing.

GirlKitty, who we're guessing was the runt of the litter, also seeks attention but less frequently. She likes to nuzzle up to us, curl up in a ball, and suck her back toes while she kneads whatever she's lying on -- the blanket, my leg (ow!). She gets the hiccups when she purrs.

Never had a cat that didn't purr when it was petted.

Old 10-03-2009, 09:48 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,335,832 times
I have read that some cats will purr when stressed, which I find interesting.

The first night our tuxedo lad was with us after being adopted from the Humane Society, he prowled back and forth across our bed purring like mad and meowing constantly, all night long. He was clearly under a fair amount of stress from the move to a strange new place with strange new people, and he was very, very noisy about it - so much so that we started wondering if he was going to stay with us, as neither my spouse nor I got much sleep that night.

He settled in quickly, though, and has become an affectionate love-sponge, who still purrs thunderously whenever he's in a lap (as he is at the moment), riding on a shoulder, curled up around my head on my pillow, or hoping that we'll feed him.

Old 10-04-2009, 03:22 AM

672 posts, read 5,094,266 times
My friend's cat doesn't purr, she's had that cat for over 2 years now. It's hard for her to figure out what it likes when she pets her kitty :P

Old 10-04-2009, 03:29 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,595,230 times
All the kitties I've ever had purr. Especially at night when they climb up in my lap for a nap.

Old 10-04-2009, 04:48 AM

2,175 posts, read 9,170,731 times
Maybe they are kinda like people.
Some people talk a lot and show emotion. Some are kind of quiet and reserved. Doesn't mean they aren't happy or caring.
Animals can be the same way I would think.
Depends on the individual makeup and personality and the traits of the parents.

Old 10-04-2009, 05:42 AM

4,265 posts, read 11,424,269 times
My cat Tommy does not purr but is very very sociable! He jumps up to greet me, lays in my lap rubbing his head on my face but just doesn't purr.

Old 10-04-2009, 06:00 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,420,868 times
We too have one that rarely purrs, but he is very, very sociable.. Cats do purr when stressed...although, the bulk of the time is is too show pleasure. Most of mine all purr when being petted and the recieving attention they all want.
I have also read that it is an individual trait. And can be inherited. Also...some cats def. purr louder than others. Some you can actually feel the vibration, others you can not.

Old 10-04-2009, 06:59 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,135,904 times
I have two who will awaken you with purrs (they are very loud-Snarf & Sidney) and then there is Munchkin he tries to purr but cant. It comes out more like a shallow weeze. He had to get breathing treatments as a small kitten and since then, to this day, he cannot purrr like the other cats. We know what his "attempted purr" sounds like, and we think its special.

I agree with many others who have already posted about this, but I find the purr very interesting and I dont know if anyone really knows WHY or HOW a cat purrs...But I will take it as a sign of affection or their way to show me a smile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats