Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2014, 12:24 PM

20,361 posts, read 14,636,289 times

Advertisements

I'm glad this thread got resurrected, it is interesting because everything Karen said specifically, sounds very similar to my Nimbus. He's not really a Russian Blue or any breed (rescued!), he bears some similarity to the Nebelung which is a half-recognized breed of longhaired variant russian blue descendents.

But all that stuff about being cautious, curious...loving his fuzzy fluffy furry bed (he sleeps mostly on his lambskin, still!) He insists on a feeding schedule, although he starts to "remind" us about an hour before time, every time...and he has no desire to go outside at all. He's scared of new people or things. I tried to take him out on a leash once and he was very frightened. If a friend brings her small children to our house to visit, he hides the whole time. He doesn't like strangers or noise. But if a strange adult is sitting quietly, he'll eventually come and look at them, slowly, and on his own terms. He can open dresser drawers and close doors. He's pretty smart, definitely very keen on "If I do this, then this happens." He picks up on a simple cause and effect chain very quickly, which really is the basis of training almost any animal...do this behavior, get a treat. I could probably teach him tricks if I wanted to.

My boy is not the most affectionate cat I've ever seen, in that he's not one to come up on your lap on his own volition, but sometimes he will enjoy a few minutes of snuggles, mostly he just tolerates it. However, he follows me everywhere. He just wants to be nearby, not held. He does however like it if we look at him and pay attention to him, and talk to him.

My biggest cat question has been, since I got him, whether he'd be happy with a second cat companion or not. My husband doesn't think so. The rescue didn't think so. I have no idea. I haven't yet seen one at the Petsmart adoption center or a rescue or on Petfinder that has "spoken" to my heart the way Nimbus did, in such a manner I knew I was looking at a family member...so I haven't brought home that second cat yet to find out. But I often wonder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2018, 05:12 PM

6 posts, read 3,762 times
I have an adult Russian blue male and I want to get him a Russian blue male kitten to be friends with. Do two Russian blue males get along?

Old 12-25-2018, 05:15 PM

6 posts, read 3,762 times
They’re very sweet cats, so I think they would?

Old 12-25-2018, 05:20 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
I've never had a Russian Blue but they are so shy and introverted that it would be hard to imagine them fighting and not getting along. However, cats do have their own personalities so who knows if the first one might get jealous of a new cat? And maybe they wouldn't fight but there are other antics that cats can get into. Hoping for a Russian Blue expert to weigh in on this topic.

Old 12-25-2018, 05:33 PM

6,849 posts, read 4,847,655 times
It is easier to introduce a cat and kitten than it is to introduce adult cats to each other. The adult cat feels less threatened. This is how it was explained to me by my vet when one of a bonded pair I had died. My cat was not thrilled with the kitten for a while but he didn't attack it as he did other adult cats that came in his territory.

Old 12-25-2018, 05:37 PM

10,089 posts, read 6,420,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I've never had a Russian Blue but they are so shy and introverted that it would be hard to imagine them fighting and not getting along. However, cats do have their own personalities so who knows if the first one might get jealous of a new cat? And maybe they wouldn't fight but there are other antics that cats can get into. Hoping for a Russian Blue expert to weigh in on this topic.
I've had 2 Russian Blue cats, one male and now and now a female. Oddly enough, both of them were paired with a purebred Tonkinese as well. Both Blues were/are extremely intelligent and sensitive, and once accustomed to me, totally devoted to me as their "person". In fact, their devotion was such that both of them exhibited strong jealousy toward the Tonks, even though the first Russian Blue had been with that Tonkinese since the age of two months. My current Russian Blue has only been with my present Tonkinese since last February when she came from my late sister's house. Both of them are really jealous of the other, but Sweet Pea, the Russian, will stalk Kassumi if she sees her.

I will echo the shyness and introversion though. Sweet Pea has to have a kitchen cabinet door left slightly ajar so that she can "cave" if she's frightened. She's good at opening cabinet doors if there's just the slightest crack between them - it's really cute to see her hide on the shelves. Sometimes she just likes to get away from the others, and she will dive into the shelves in a flash if the UPS guy or the postman comes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats