Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2009, 10:00 AM

244 posts, read 718,201 times

Advertisements

My SIL sent me the following email this morning concerning a strange behavior her cat, Molly, was exhibiting. I hope someone here can help me, as ya'll have been very helpful in the past.

"Hi there! This is a little odd, but I have a cat question for you! I've been looking online and I can't find a website talking about this. Ever since I got Molly, she's done this odd thing and it's usually only in the kitchen by the cabinets under the sink or occassionally I'll see her do it in front of the couch. She kind of stands with her butt facing the surface and her hind legs it looks like she's on her tippy toes. Her tail is straight up and it looks like she's shaking it. The first time she did it I thought she was spraying, but I didn't see anything coming out. I know they have scent glands back there, so I thought that maybe that's what she was going. But then this morning I was in the kitchen and I turned around and saw her doing it, but she was doing it longer than normal, and then all the sudden I saw a few drops of some kind of liquid come out. I smelled it (I know, gross, but I wanted to make sure it wasn't pee) and it didn't smell like anything. I sprayed it with a disinfectant spray and wiped it up, but I'm wondering if this is something I should be worried about... I just don't want it to get worse. I hope you can help"

Please and Thank-you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2009, 10:46 AM

15,129 posts, read 32,339,266 times
A trip to the vet is in order. She may need her anal glands cleaned out.

Old 12-07-2009, 01:01 PM

244 posts, read 718,201 times
Yikes! Do you think it might have something to do with the cat's diet?

Old 12-07-2009, 01:20 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,846,929 times
That's exactly how male cats spray to mark territory. I don't know if some females can do it or not.

Old 12-07-2009, 02:02 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,339,266 times
Yes, females can spray! I had one years ago that would spray my apartment and when she visited my downstairs neighbor, she would spray in her apartment, too.

Old 12-08-2009, 01:33 PM

1,086 posts, read 3,361,280 times
Get the Glands cleaned. The next thing the cat will do is scoot it's rear end around the carpet leaving a trail of stinky anal leakage.

My Maine Coon did this one day and seemed to use my house as a race track leaving burnt rubber marks around the whole house, what a mess..lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats