Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 07:08 AM

8,185 posts, read 12,641,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eger View Post
Spoke with the Doc late in the evening.

It took around 7 hours for the Barium to run through his sytem. The dye stopped at a point it shouldn't have half way in the intestines. There is definately blockage.

Lolo is going into surgery at 12:00pm today and they will either try to remove the foreign object or they will have to cut a part of his intestines out and sew him back up.

Doc quoted me $400-$600 for surgery, I paid more for last Sundays Vet visit to get him fluid.

New Vet said the previous bill was rediculous and he would never itemize charges like that. He cares about animals and he's not out to make me go broke.

Still keeping my fingers crossed. Thanks for all the support. I'd imagine he will probably be in the hospital for a few more days.

My cat has had this surgery several times (damn her rubber fetish!).

You will be surprised at how fast Lolo recovers. You will no doubt be able to take her home late today. You will have to feed her special food for a week or so, and getting the staples removed is an experience in and of itself - but the worst is over!

Now take me advice on this one - whatever they pull out of Lolos intestine make sure you scour your house and get rid of anything like it. The surgery will make that part of her intestine narrower with the scar tissue and less apt to allow non digestible objects through. Which means more surgeries in your future.

And yes you completely were hosed by the emergency vets. The only thing they should have done to Lolo was a barium x-ray and fluids. The rest was just opportunistic fluff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2010, 07:08 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,424,010 times
Thanks for the update. Sorry to hear about the blockage and hopefully, the surgery will relieve him. Please, keep us updated and sending healing thoughts your way.

Old 02-02-2010, 07:13 AM

2,807 posts, read 7,586,460 times
Sending you & Lolo positive, healing energy...hang in there!!!

Old 02-02-2010, 08:49 AM

2,410 posts, read 6,005,392 times
I hope Lolo comes out ok. Sending good thoughts your way. Luckily only one of my cats eats non food items and since that thing is styrofoam, I just never have any in the house.

Old 02-02-2010, 09:08 AM

1,463 posts, read 4,327,091 times
I'm hoping the best for Lolo. Sending the good vibes your way!

Old 02-02-2010, 09:15 AM

1,086 posts, read 3,360,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
My cat has had this surgery several times (damn her rubber fetish!).

You will be surprised at how fast Lolo recovers. You will no doubt be able to take her home late today. You will have to feed her special food for a week or so, and getting the staples removed is an experience in and of itself - but the worst is over!

Now take me advice on this one - whatever they pull out of Lolos intestine make sure you scour your house and get rid of anything like it. The surgery will make that part of her intestine narrower with the scar tissue and less apt to allow non digestible objects through. Which means more surgeries in your future.

And yes you completely were hosed by the emergency vets. The only thing they should have done to Lolo was a barium x-ray and fluids. The rest was just opportunistic fluff.
Just out of curiosity how much did the surgery run you? I sent aside a couple of grand, hope it's not that expensive.

Lookin forward to getting my boy back!

Old 02-02-2010, 09:18 AM

1,463 posts, read 4,327,091 times
Hey thanks for the visual aide! Nice pic of the baby. I'm still hopin' the best!

Old 02-02-2010, 09:24 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,676,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I wish you well and I feel for you.

I once had to take my Popoki into the emergency vet at two in the morning. When they told me what the bill would be I burst into tears. She took pity on me and knocked about 50% off the bill.
lucky you! when i brought my cat to the emergency vet she didn't care that i cried, and in fact she tried to make me feel guilty because i simply couldn't afford to hospitalize him there (at 3 times the cost to hospitalize him with my regular vet, who's not the cheapest).

i ended up having him unblocked and although he partially re-blocked, he made it through to the next day so i could take him to my own vet (who ended up treating him with medication and he was fine).

i understand that the emergency vet costs more, i understand the necessity of an emergency fee, but three times as much is too much. and i really don't like the way i was pushed towards the most expensive option and made to feel guilty for not choosing it, especially when my vet said it wasn't necessary (and it wasn't!). next time we have an emergency i'm definitely taking her to the other 24 hour place in town; hopefully they're better.

eger, i hope your kitty is ok! but please don't barbecue him when he gets back!

Old 02-02-2010, 10:29 AM

1,086 posts, read 3,360,993 times
Update:

Lolo is out of surgery, they found the corner of a towel in his intestine. The towel was removed and the cat is recovering.

Unfortunately he will probably go back to eating foreign objects again, so he'll need to go on Meds. It seems as though he gets seperation anxiety when I leave for work.

I have a small patio that is screened in on the 3rd floor. I am going to put some lattice up to block him from clawing the screen and put some linoleum down to lay on. He loves to be outside, so if I stick him on the porch all day while I am gone he should enjoy it and there is nothing for him to chew.

Vet bill is at $2000 and climbing.

Old 02-02-2010, 11:59 AM

605 posts, read 2,990,160 times
I am glad that he is OK. Sorry about the huge bills, though.

I don't begrudge vets to charge what they charge in most cases, although it does sound like the emergency vet took some liberties and overcharged you for procedures you didn't need.

Vets have to go through just as much schooling as human doctors, plus they need to know many species - not just one. Many times, they have to buy all their hospital and diagnostic equipment themselves, and the animal equipment costs just as much as the human equipment. Plus, they have the burden of needing to diagnose ailments without the benefit of communication from the patient. So many times I could simply ask my cats "where does it hurt?".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats