Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 07:22 PM

5,168 posts, read 11,439,950 times

Advertisements

I am so glad to hear that the Newcomer has settled down in his new space! Yeah : ). They just need time and love... the rest will come.

forum rules, please read them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2010, 06:59 AM

1,086 posts, read 3,360,993 times
This morning's update:

I got home last nigt from the gym and Bubba was watching me upstairs in the window as I walked by. I went to go visit him and he was sitting in the bath tub.

I went over and petted him for about 15 minutes, he got up was doing circles, jumped on his hind legs and rubbed his face on mine. As I pet him he looked up at me and drooled all over...lol My other cat used to do that when I pet him. He jumped up into my lap and rubbed himself all over me.

As I was leaving he jumped out of the Tub to follow me, and as much as I wanted to let him out I didn't.

This weekend when my gf arrives he will spend the weekend with us in the living room with the bedroom doors shut so he doesn't go under the bed.

If all goes well, next week I will start having him interact with my kitties.

Old 02-12-2010, 07:46 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,424,010 times
Yay!
Sounds like things will work out...but kudos to you for holding your ground and keeping him contained.
Remember to go slow with the intros. Start by rubbing each of the cats with towels and then switch the towels. Intros are all about getting comfortable with each others scent. By placing the towel rubbed down with your current kitties scent, your new guy can start adjusting and vice-a-versa.
You can also leave a well worn t-shirt or something similar in the bathroom with him...adjusting to your scent as well. It may even comfort him.
Have a great weekend with him! Remember...slow and steady wins the race!

Old 02-12-2010, 08:13 AM

2,455 posts, read 6,667,278 times
Good morning, Eger and all!

Hey, I thought you decided to let your gf take this feral because you didn't have the patience to do this? What changed your mind?The drooling? Did eating in the bathroom with him win your heart over? Wow! I am ecstatic that you've decided to do this, for deep down inside, I felt this guy chose you and you him. Sometimes new beginnings are rough waters. But lookee here! He was actually looking out the bathroom window waiting for you? Wow again! AND he jumped up on your lap independently? My head is spinnning! Even some of my wild cats that I have had for years still won't jump up on my lap! You have got the magic touch, Eger! Way to go!

And boy, am I ever proud of you for keeping him in the bathroom. I know it is so hard especially when they look at you and want to follow you FOR LIFE with that woe-be-gone expression on their faces. Good for you! You are doing exactly what he needs....he NEEDS structure in his life right now, even though it is hard for you to do it! Shelbygirl1......great thought! Get the feral used to your other cats by bringing in towels or old tees with their scents on them, and leave them in the bathroom.

HAHAHAHA I think your Maine Coone knew all along he was staying. She was singing his welcome song to him the other night......don't you worry none, ya gonna stay.....I know it! LOL LOL LOL

I am so thrilled by this news, wow! You made my day, Eger!!!!! Yippeeeee!! REMEMBER>>>>SLOW AND EASY DOES IT!!!!!

Old 02-12-2010, 08:17 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,424,010 times
LOL....I'm guessing if the OP is the "all American" male...those well worn t's and clothes may already be on the bathroom floor! JK Eger!

Old 02-12-2010, 08:53 AM

1,463 posts, read 4,327,091 times
I'm glad to see things are looking better. Keep up the goooood works!

Old 02-12-2010, 10:59 AM

1,086 posts, read 3,360,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garden of Eden View Post
Good morning, Eger and all!

Hey, I thought you decided to let your gf take this feral because you didn't have the patience to do this? What changed your mind?The drooling? Did eating in the bathroom with him win your heart over? Wow! I am ecstatic that you've decided to do this, for deep down inside, I felt this guy chose you and you him. Sometimes new beginnings are rough waters. But lookee here! He was actually looking out the bathroom window waiting for you? Wow again! AND he jumped up on your lap independently? My head is spinnning! Even some of my wild cats that I have had for years still won't jump up on my lap! You have got the magic touch, Eger! Way to go!

And boy, am I ever proud of you for keeping him in the bathroom. I know it is so hard especially when they look at you and want to follow you FOR LIFE with that woe-be-gone expression on their faces. Good for you! You are doing exactly what he needs....he NEEDS structure in his life right now, even though it is hard for you to do it! Shelbygirl1......great thought! Get the feral used to your other cats by bringing in towels or old tees with their scents on them, and leave them in the bathroom.

HAHAHAHA I think your Maine Coone knew all along he was staying. She was singing his welcome song to him the other night......don't you worry none, ya gonna stay.....I know it! LOL LOL LOL

I am so thrilled by this news, wow! You made my day, Eger!!!!! Yippeeeee!! REMEMBER>>>>SLOW AND EASY DOES IT!!!!!
He's won me over, I am taking it one small step at a time. The bathroom trick really worked. The bathtub is his little safe ground and I came in for a few minutes at a time and he felt comfortbale with me to eventually let me go near him.

I know the right time to remove him from the bathroom is when he leaves his confines and follows me. Unfortunately I will be spending Valentines day alone in my bed as the GF sleeps with the cat instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
LOL....I'm guessing if the OP is the "all American" male...those well worn t's and clothes may already be on the bathroom floor! JK Eger!
Actually my previous cat Lolo broke me of that habit. If I leave clothes laying around he would eat them. Even though he is no longer around my subconcious tells me to pick them up.

I will post pics this weekend.

Old 02-12-2010, 01:22 PM

5,168 posts, read 11,439,950 times
Oh, yes, please do photos. I am sooooooo happy this is working out after all. I believe so firmly that they come around, if we just let them do it on THEIR terms. After all we are big and scary to them.

Happy Valentine's Day!

forum rules, please read them

Old 02-12-2010, 01:25 PM

1,463 posts, read 4,327,091 times
[quote=eger;12871293] I will be spending Valentines day alone in my bed as the GF sleeps with the cat instead. [quote]

Don't feel bad. I'll be alone this Valentine's Day house sitting for my brother. It'll be me and his dog.

Looking forward to the pics

Old 02-12-2010, 03:28 PM

2,455 posts, read 6,667,278 times
WHOA! Is it Valentine's Day already? (head spinning) I must be married too long! Valentine's didn't even cross my mind......just cats! LOL LOL LOL Dang! I need a life! Oh, to receive a Valentine's from a sweetheart.....yep! married too L-O-N-G!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats