Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 12:35 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,846,929 times

Advertisements

Ah, but you have us for support! Come here when you need it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2010, 07:53 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,430,742 times
Hey Girl...Welcome back! Sounds like you've had a rough few weeks!

Old 02-17-2010, 12:47 PM

1,463 posts, read 4,327,596 times
What an ordeal. Welcome back to the forum. Sorry to hear you in pain and injured. Ow.

I once tripped over a cat...not mine but the nieghbors. I was out for a jog when I was in middle school and this neighbor's cat loved me so much it decided to come along. Well, he ran into between my legs and down I went. I ended up twisting and ankle....a prescious tennis playing ankle and was out for the rest of the season.

Hope you get better very soon.

Old 02-17-2010, 07:52 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,411,522 times
Now its an insurance issue---insurance wants to know details of accident, etc, wants to know if I'm suing anyone, getting any lawsuit settlement, I have to sign that over first before insurance will pay.

Well, guess what, I fell on my own property, or at least near it, that's the address I gave to 911, I wasn't sure where I was but that was the closest address. So, guess I can't be expected to sue myself. Its just sad in today's society not only does everyone look to sue everyone, but you're backed into it by insurance. Perhaps that's why no one answered my cries for help---they didn't want to get involved and be sued. Guess I'd think twice, too, before offering aid and perhaps getting sued for it. After all, if she's screaming, she's alive, someone will eventually find her, like the garbage men, don't get involved.

Old 02-17-2010, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseystarz View Post
What an ordeal. Welcome back to the forum. Sorry to hear you in pain and injured. Ow.

I once tripped over a cat...not mine but the nieghbors. I was out for a jog when I was in middle school and this neighbor's cat loved me so much it decided to come along. Well, he ran into between my legs and down I went. I ended up twisting and ankle....a prescious tennis playing ankle and was out for the rest of the season.

Hope you get better very soon.

See that's the type of thing people sue for--can't sue a cat, but can sue the owners. For my part I would just consider it an accident, stuff happens, and go on from there.

Old 02-17-2010, 10:40 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,840,601 times
With regard to insurance issues, as someone who works in the industry I'm happy to let you know that the scenario you outlined comes up very rarely. All of the few injury-related claims which have triggered litigation had to do with traffic accidents where the other driver was found to be at fault, or with an unaddressed and significant safety issue. Matter of fact, there are now "Samaritan laws" in most states which prevent legal action being taken against anybody who comes to the aid of an injured person. It may seem like we live in a society where people call their lawyers every chance they get, but that hasn't been my experience at all. "I should've been more cautious" is what I hear, not "I'm suing my landlord because the patch of ice I slipped on was missed when he salted the front walk."
Insurers need to be provided with accident details only because there's no reason to make payment on related medical services if a case is found or settled in the plaintiff's favor. So taking care of furnishing that info should make for a quick and easy release of benefits. BTW Marylee, you might want to place a call to your insurance company's Member Services line. My company allows for accident details to be relayed over the phone, and that makes everything go forward all the more quickly.

I'm sorry for having made my own slip, by walking on touchy ground from bringing up the guy with a knack for aiding and comforting cats. Maybe the 12-year-old will surprise you as well as herself by "stepping up to the plate" and providing help and companionship if she isn't already. Even middle-schoolers have innate goodness, though a lot of the time you'd never know it!

Good to know the Marshmallow reins have been loosened, lol...

Old 02-18-2010, 11:56 PM

I'm sorry for having made my own slip, by walking on touchy ground from bringing up the guy with a knack for aiding and comforting cats. Maybe the 12-year-old will surprise you as well as herself by "stepping up to the plate" and providing help and companionship if she isn't already. Even middle-schoolers have innate goodness, though a lot of the time you'd never know it!

Well, my 12-year old is learning! she tries, just needs to get the hang of it. Yesterday she tried to make a grilled cheese sandwich, followed my instructions, but it came out "funny" Then we realized she didn't know to take the plastic wrap off

All she really has to do is push buttons, microwave food, run dishwasher, clothes washer/dryer, completely within her cpapbilities, but she needs to fine tune her knowledge. She can walk to school, eats breakfast and lunch there, then "pushes buttons" to make dinner at home. Reallly, this is stuff she should have known all along, she's awiz at Facebook, Twitter, etc, but can't figure out a clothes washer!

Old 02-19-2010, 09:17 AM

1,463 posts, read 4,327,596 times
When I was 12 my mom broke her arm. Of course it was over summer break so I got absorb all the house chores. I had to cook, do dishes, laundry, and take out the trash. By the time I was six I could operate the microwave. When I was about eight I could make my own scrambled eggs. But laundry and loading the dish washer was a whole new world.

It just took a little doing on learning the stove stuff and about a dozen mess ups. It just takes time and patience.

Your daughter will get there. Just take some time. Try something fun like making cup cakes or pancakes. Girls love to mess around in a kitchen.

Or next time on grilled cheese try using shaped sandwiches cut out from cookie cutters. They're smaller, fun and easy to make. Just don't forget to take off the plastic! Tell your daughter not to worry about the plastic too much. I had a boyfriend in high school I made a grilled cheese for and I forgot to take off the plastic too....LOL.

Old 02-19-2010, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseystarz View Post
When I was 12 my mom broke her arm. Of course it was over summer break so I got absorb all the house chores. I had to cook, do dishes, laundry, and take out the trash. By the time I was six I could operate the microwave. When I was about eight I could make my own scrambled eggs. But laundry and loading the dish washer was a whole new world.

It just took a little doing on learning the stove stuff and about a dozen mess ups. It just takes time and patience.

Your daughter will get there. Just take some time. Try something fun like making cup cakes or pancakes. Girls love to mess around in a kitchen.

Or next time on grilled cheese try using shaped sandwiches cut out from cookie cutters. They're smaller, fun and easy to make. Just don't forget to take off the plastic! Tell your daughter not to worry about the plastic too much. I had a boyfriend in high school I made a grilled cheese for and I forgot to take off the plastic too....LOL.
Problem is her attitude. She acts like she shouldn't have to lift a finger. We haire a cleaning serivce 1x week for the heavy stuff, all I ask of her is basically picking up after herself, pick up her clothes, wet towels, put dishes in dishwasher, put clean dishes away, take out trash 1x week, feed cats, scoop litter, hey, its not that big a deal, but you have to ask each thing at least 6-8 times, then get that snotty look, then she always says she
s doing homework, when sh'es not doing anything, just watching TV, then all of a sudden she's "busy". She even tells her teachers at school she can't do her homework because I make her do house chores. Hey, I hire the heavy stuff, all she needs to do is pick up after herself, am I supposed to hire her a maid?

Old 02-19-2010, 04:57 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,339,266 times
It's because she's a "tweenager." You may have to bribe her with something. Maybe pay her $1.00 for each chore that she accomplishes, unless she already gets an allowance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats