Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 10:14 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,397,515 times

Advertisements

Tomorrow I say "Good Bye" to a little fur friend, Mackie.

Actually, she's just being temporarily re-housed. My dh lives in another city and comes home on weekends, until we can sell our home and move . But we have 5 cats, and Mackie just isn't buying it, she wants to be an only cat. She's taken to fighting with the others, and peeing all over the house to claim her territory. Its becoming intolerable.

We have an alternative--my dh apt allows pets, so, tomorrow he is taking her up to be with him. I think its a win-win situation, she wants to be an "only" cat, and is destroying our home. Only problem is, I will miss her, and feel slightly guilty. She want to be my kitty! I fell and broke my lower pelvis about 6 weeks ago, its healing, I had surgery a week ago, during that time she's been my faithful companion, wouldn't leave my side. About all I could do was rest on the bed or couch, she followed me everywhere, chased the other cats off, and even brought me her little toys. She was trying to take care of me!

The sweet little thing! But, she will have a good home and be loved, and we will see her often. Its just "breaking up is hard to do". But better than dumping her!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2010, 11:19 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,179,640 times
MaryleeII: I thought you were saying goodbye to a terminal cat. I'm glad to find out that you're not.

I think you're doing the right thing. It couldn't go on the way it was!

Old 03-20-2010, 11:28 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,827,228 times
WOW, did that thread title have me worried. Glad (and relieved) to read that Macrame is actually still part of the family. She can be with her stepdad and with St Francis/Dr Doolittle, who themselves could well be happy to have a feline household member under their roof full-time.
My main concern now has to do with what happens when the house changeover occurs. With spring upon us, folks are starting to get into home-hunt mode if they need/want to move. Y'all might have a different address in the not too far distant future. What will become of Mackie then? My gut feeling is that everything will turn out OK. All the cats will be on new turf at the same time, so there won't be any of that seniority ("I was here first") drama going on. Hopefully there'll be plenty of space to allow for the one-litter-box-per-cat rule. Outside of that, they'll probably stake their own claims and be flexible with boundaries.
Chin up! Even temporary separations are tough to handle, but this IS temporary. In the meantime, it'll be interesting to hear about how Marshmallow et al react to the queen bee cat's absence. You might end up with four feline caretakers in the bargain.

Old 03-21-2010, 07:37 AM

622 posts, read 1,723,920 times
How do you know the apt landlord wont require that your dh get her maimed ? go to

www.StopDeclaw.com. - show this site to the LL

Maybe you could create a room just for her.

Old 03-21-2010, 09:15 AM

2,178 posts, read 9,576,090 times
I am glad you have a place for her to go rather than just dumping her. Some are just meant to be a only child and I hope this works for all concerned.

I had a cat that my daughter kept for me while I worked (leave home for 28 days when working) and he just adores my daughter, SHE was his human of choice so I ended up letting her keep him so he now lives in his "perfect world" where he gets to live with his human. I see him all the time and he has blossomed living in her house... he just adores my daughter.

Old 03-21-2010, 10:57 AM

1,463 posts, read 4,325,312 times
Whoosh,

I was glad you were saying adiós to a ill cat!

I'm glad you found a solution that seems better for you, your cats and Mackie.

Old 03-21-2010, 11:51 AM

Oh, sorry, I could have worded the thread better, it was late at night and I just chose a title.

No, I'm not having any of my fur children PTS, just re-homing Mackie. Dh, St. Francsis, and mackie leave in about 2 hours. I feel like a heel getting "rid" of her, she was my devoted companion while recovering from my back injury, and in some very real ways she contributed to my recovery. Studies have shown a pet helps with healing, mood, mental health, etc. It took about 6 weeks to to "recover" and I'm still in pain and mincing around, but not almost bedridden. I spent a lot of time just laying on the couch watching old movies, couldn't do anything more, Dr's orders to rest, little Mackie was my constant companion.

Well, she leaves soon, so does half my family, dh and ds (aka St Francsis), but I will be too busy to miss them much as we prepare to sell our home and move. We had to get mackie out of here to sell the home, managing the others will be difficult but having a cat 'staking territory" doesn't help with resale value!

Old 03-21-2010, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
WOW, did that thread title have me worried. Glad (and relieved) to read that Macrame is actually still part of the family. She can be with her stepdad and with St Francis/Dr Doolittle, who themselves could well be happy to have a feline household member under their roof full-time.
My main concern now has to do with what happens when the house changeover occurs. With spring upon us, folks are starting to get into home-hunt mode if they need/want to move. Y'all might have a different address in the not too far distant future. What will become of Mackie then? My gut feeling is that everything will turn out OK. All the cats will be on new turf at the same time, so there won't be any of that seniority ("I was here first") drama going on. Hopefully there'll be plenty of space to allow for the one-litter-box-per-cat rule. Outside of that, they'll probably stake their own claims and be flexible with boundaries.
Chin up! Even temporary separations are tough to handle, but this IS temporary. In the meantime, it'll be interesting to hear about how Marshmallow et al react to the queen bee cat's absence. You might end up with four feline caretakers in the bargain.

Rest assured Mackie goes with us, along with our other fur kids. We are looking for a house with some land around it, perhaps out in the country,we are looking for a house to accomodate all our family, that includes the fur kids.

You're probably right, once all 5 enter at once they won't have that pecking order thing, or at least it won't be quite so dramatic.

Old 03-21-2010, 09:19 PM

Well, Mackie has arrived at her new home, and I'm beginning to wonder if we made a mistake. She was quiet and subdued the whole trip, but she's not adjusting well at all to her new environment. They tell me she slinks along the floor, shivers, and clings to an old tee shirt of mine. I mean, she literally wraps her paws around it and won't let go. She hasn't eaten or drank anything or used the litter.

I should have thought to sent some Feliway, we have a bottle here, perhaps they can go get some tomorrow, but she's having a bad night. I'm beginning to think I made a mistake, poor little girl. Well, time will tell, if she doesn't adjust, we will bring her back.

But, in the meantime, my other cats are much more relaxed now that Queen Cat is gone!

Old 03-21-2010, 11:08 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,179,640 times
It's normal for a cat to be freaked in a new environment. Give her a little time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats