Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2010, 08:10 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,038,726 times

Advertisements

http://news.mobile.msn.com/en-us/art...1&aid=36434056
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2010, 11:08 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,847,369 times
Glad to see that "Schnautzie" didn't out to be a canary in a coal mine! But I think the significance of the ceremony and reward was lost on him/her, lol.
It's uncanny how pets' instincts are. Many years ago, my then-6-month-old cats charged onto my bed and woke me up with their frantic meowing. Only then did I notice that it'd gotten very cold in the house on that January night. Checking around the cellar, I found that the pilot light in our furnace had blown out. Somebody from the gas company answered my call within an hour, and no safety hazard ever existed, but how'd those young felines with their fur coats know something wasn't right?
One more anecdote for this thread: In more recent times, Weasie roused me one summer morning ahead of the radio by yelling at me and batting my nose. Groggily, I heard a smoke alarm sounding next door. There was no smoke to be smelled or seen. As if she could understand, I told her there was nothing to be concerned with and that she ought to let me go back to sleep. But she continued with her insistence that I not leave it alone. It was then that I heard the fire engines idling on the street out front and noticed the red lights flashing. Long story short - a neighbor had needed repairs done on a hot-water heater, and the klutz mechanic hadn't reopened the boiler connection once the job was finished. No matter that it was summertime, with the normal outlet blocked the furnace was overheating and could've exploded. Had alarms not sounded to bring the firefighters - and had they not responded immediately and taken care of the issue - well...we're in a densely populated urban area, and the adjoining townhouses aren't even 50 yards away. Again I ask, how did that cat know something wasn't right? Remove the effective alarm system and excellent fire department from that equation. Weasie might conceivably have saved us from being killed - or died trying.

Old 04-13-2010, 11:35 AM

Cats are not stupid. I have a few foul neighbors that hate cats. I dont understand why. One moron told me all cats do is sleep & eat. I said "thats all you do as well". I DONT like people that dont like cats. Plain & simple.

Old 04-13-2010, 11:45 AM

50,371 posts, read 47,120,861 times
Years ago I was sitting up late at night and my Tom started growling at something. If heard him do this at Foxes and Skunks so I got up to take a look. What I found was some guy peeking into the girl's next door's room. He saw me and buzzed outta there. I called the Cops but they never found anyone. The next day I asked her if she knew anyone that matched this guy's description. Nope.

Cat may have saved the day for her.

Old 04-13-2010, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Years ago I was sitting up late at night and my Tom started growling at something. If heard him do this at Foxes and Skunks so I got up to take a look. What I found was some guy peeking into the girl's next door's room. He saw me and buzzed outta there. I called the Cops but they never found anyone. The next day I asked her if she knew anyone that matched this guy's description. Nope.

Cat may have saved the day for her.
The guy sounds like a peeping tom. Its good tom alerted you. I have a female cat that growls when she hears something outside at night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats