Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 03:44 PM

19,697 posts, read 20,225,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
Damn nobody mention her duet with Rick James "fire and desire"....Teena Marie was a soul artist and this lady is annoited in the black community.

Music forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2010, 12:13 AM

4,593 posts, read 9,191,907 times
I know her better for the song "Portuguese Love" than Lovergirl. Lovergirl was more pop-ish.

Classic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7MJXRIqU7E

Old 12-29-2010, 01:19 PM

1,781 posts, read 2,680,722 times
Lightbulb Okay...I'll Grant You Your Opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Lexus View Post
I thought she had the most annoying voice in history and felt her sappy music was an utter nightmare. She did have a following though and I am sorry to hear that she died so young. Tragic.
AND your right to express same...however, be prepared to deal with those of us who don't agree with you---like, ummmm...me, for instance

Teena Marie was that rarity of rarities...a singer, songwriter, AND a good instrumentalist...her voice was nowhere near annoying, and what's more, her music wasn't sappy either...

Now, I don't pretend to know your musical tastes, but please, don't tell me Teena's music was sappy, and her voice annoying, and then in the same breath lavish praise on (examples):

Someone who wears a dress that's just begging for barbecue sauce (Lady GaGa)

Someone who thought it was cute to run around the Muppet Show with her assets and titulars jiggling every which way (Katy Perry)

Someone who thinks Rehab means 'that angry ol' peg-legged guy chasin' after Moby Dick' (Lindsey Lohan...I know, not a singer, but I'm going somewhere with this)

Someone who could be the poster child for talentless and annoying (Britney Spears)

And various other members of their particular generation, who seem to revel in the fact that the only two letters that matter in the word 'TALENT' are the first two---T and A...and who seem oblivious to the fact that their singing is irritating on the level of, say, a room full of howling, starved coyotes...not THOSE folk...

Teena Marie's body of work, even on her worst day, will stand the test of time, long after this generation of singers-in-name-only have fried their remaining brain cells, and realized that multple plastic surgeries leave you scarred, saggy, and looking like the Crypt-Keeper's baby sister...and that true talent will trump jiggling chests, spandex-clad rumps, barbed-wire dresses, and made-for-video 15-second wonders...

Sappy and annoying? Yeah right

Old 12-29-2010, 07:00 PM

18,467 posts, read 31,621,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincatfish View Post
AND your right to express same...however, be prepared to deal with those of us who don't agree with you---like, ummmm...me, for instance

Teena Marie was that rarity of rarities...a singer, songwriter, AND a good instrumentalist...her voice was nowhere near annoying, and what's more, her music wasn't sappy either...

Now, I don't pretend to know your musical tastes, but please, don't tell me Teena's music was sappy, and her voice annoying, and then in the same breath lavish praise on (examples):

Someone who thought it was cute to run around the Muppet Show with her assets and titulars jiggling every which way (Katy Perry)

Someone who thinks Rehab means 'that angry ol' peg-legged guy chasin' after Moby Dick' (Lindsey Lohan...I know, not a singer, but I'm going somewhere with this)

Someone who could be the poster child for talentless and annoying (Britney Spears)

And various other members of their particular generation, who seem to revel in the fact that the only two letters that matter in the word 'TALENT' are the first two---T and A...and who seem oblivious to the fact that their singing is irritating on the level of, say, a room full of howling, starved coyotes...not THOSE folk...

Teena Marie's body of work, even on her worst day, will stand the test of time, long after this generation of singers-in-name-only have fried their remaining brain cells, and realized that multple plastic surgeries leave you scarred, saggy, and looking like the Crypt-Keeper's baby sister...and that true talent will trump jiggling chests, spandex-clad rumps, barbed-wire dresses, and made-for-video 15-second wonders...

and I SECOND everything that was just said.

The singers of today don't have one spec of the talent that Teenamarie had. Teenamarie could sing as well as compose as well as play instruments. She was bursting with talent!!!!!

Portuguese Love was my favorite song.

Old 12-29-2010, 10:22 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,370,760 times
I only knew her for Fire & Desire and I was appalled to hear her and Rick trying to sing it at the BET awards a few years back still its sad because she was so young. My condolences for her family

Old 12-29-2010, 10:45 PM

7,528 posts, read 11,359,277 times
^

What were you appalled by?

Old 12-29-2010, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
^

What were you appalled by?
Their performance was horrible. I was trying to find a clip but they seem to have been removed.

Old 12-29-2010, 10:52 PM

BET Awards '04 | Moments | Teena Marie & Rick James Performance | Videos | BET.com Video (http://www.bet.com/video/1547306 - broken link)

Ok here we go. perhaps if they had just sung the song the way it was written it wouldn't have been so bad.

Old 12-30-2010, 07:39 AM

884 posts, read 2,641,613 times
Most BET performances are HORRIBLE at the awards shows. I don't know if they take tokes before performing or liquored up but damn.

Rick was not at his prime then.. RIP to both of them.

Old 12-30-2010, 08:08 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,377,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincatfish View Post

Yep, yep, yep. It's OK for you or anyone else to disgaree. Doesn't bother me the least bit. To me, she is one of the most forgettable singers I have ever heard. I can guarantee that I will never hear another one of her songs, except by accident.

May she rest in peace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities