Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 02:31 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,788,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overcooked_Oatmeal View Post
Madonna: Sure, she's made good pop songs, but she has average looks and she can't sing worth a damn. She made her way to the top by lying on her back and I truly believed she sold her soul to the devil in order to get to where she is today
No doubt!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
the problem with SNL is that they think they're funnier than they are. Plus it's NBC and they are the most insular, self-promoting, recycle their own talent network out there.

Ive thought of this before and I just attribute SNL being on today with the fact that there is no competition in their timeslot, late night on a saturday?

there is always a steady stream of new high schoolers who haven't yet found drugs/alchohol/sex yet whose main highlight of the weekend might be to stay up and watch SNL. such rebels!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John23 View Post
SNL's success is weird. I guess in the 70's, to the mid 80's the show was somewhat iconic. Given you only had 3 major networks then. Pretty limited programming. And they had great talent.

Bill Murray
Chevy Chase
Dan Aykroyd
Eddie Murphy

Then up to Dana Carvey, Mike Myers....Coneheads, Waynes World. Only 2 movies based on SNL sketches have made more than $100 million worldwide....waynes world, conehead. Many were complete bombs. This is suppose to be iconic?

NBC is good at self promotion. I.e., interviewing their stars on the today show or something. Without the self promotion, and big bankroll of NBC (and GE), I cant imagine the show being that big. I think In living color produced more stars (relative to the size of the cast). The wayans, jim carey, and jamie foxx, tommy davidson, were half the cast. Plus it was when fox was just getting started.

Kristen Wiig is brilliant on SNL, doing Suze Orman, lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kp2WeQ1MF9o
Badger and John--excellent observations ! Totally agree with you both.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2011, 04:51 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,561,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John23 View Post
SNL's success is weird. I guess in the 70's, to the mid 80's the show was somewhat iconic. Given you only had 3 major networks then. Pretty limited programming. And they had great talent.

Bill Murray
Chevy Chase
Dan Aykroyd
Eddie Murphy

Then up to Dana Carvey, Mike Myers....Coneheads, Waynes World. Only 2 movies based on SNL sketches have made more than $100 million worldwide....waynes world, conehead. Many were complete bombs. This is suppose to be iconic?

NBC is good at self promotion. I.e., interviewing their stars on the today show or something. Without the self promotion, and big bankroll of NBC (and GE), I cant imagine the show being that big. I think In living color produced more stars (relative to the size of the cast). The wayans, jim carey, and jamie foxx, tommy davidson, were half the cast. Plus it was when fox was just getting started.

Kristen Wiig is brilliant on SNL, doing Suze Orman, lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kp2WeQ1MF9o
I like Kristen Wiig as well, there still are funny people on there and funny characters but it's alot more seldom these days.

I remember when they started calling re-runs of SNL "encore presentations" , good one pea****!!!

Old 02-19-2011, 02:01 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,838,511 times
Re awards shows - it has to be remembered that they're actually "industry functions", and it's only the fact they're televised and reported on that make them anymore than that.

Old 02-19-2011, 02:22 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,196,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
Re awards shows - it has to be remembered that they're actually "industry functions", and it's only the fact they're televised and reported on that make them anymore than that.
Yeah, to me they are just as boring as any other type of work awards event I've been to. I don't know who wants to watch that, but they keep adding new ones for actors, musicians etc... so boring and stupid.

Old 02-19-2011, 07:41 PM

5,163 posts, read 3,654,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
Yeah, I mentioned how much I hate them earlier in the thread, but that is a GREAT way to put it: Industry functions.

Old 02-20-2011, 12:15 AM

244 posts, read 629,288 times
The Kardashians, what's up with them? She has 6M followers on Twitter, and then? All people say is how good she looks, but none can actually say what she's done that's so great.

She's useless, can't act, can't dance, can't sing

Old 02-21-2011, 02:12 PM

5,163 posts, read 3,654,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathieuL View Post
The Kardashians, what's up with them? She has 6M followers on Twitter, and then? All people say is how good she looks, but none can actually say what she's done that's so great.

She's useless, can't act, can't dance, can't sing
I think they are the worst--I have no problem with people being talented and getting accolades, but they have no talent at all...

Old 02-21-2011, 02:17 PM

2,296 posts, read 6,283,220 times
Taylor Swift
Drew Barrymore
Demi Moore
Jennifer Aniston
Miley Cyrus
Paris Hilton
Lauren Conrad
Speidi
Jennifer Lopez
Jenny McCarthy

*fragrance release!*

Old 02-21-2011, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemon&lime View Post
Taylor Swift
Drew Barrymore
Demi Moore
Jennifer Aniston
Miley Cyrus
Paris Hilton
Lauren Conrad
Speidi
Jennifer Lopez
Jenny McCarthy

*fragrance release!*
I agree with all, but Drew Barrymore. I feel her fame is pretty equal to her work and success level, especially now that she has been producing and directing as well as acting. She is a strong intelligent woman whose overcome a lot of pain, works hard, she lives quite privately when not promoting a movie, I'd have no issue with my daughter being a fan of hers.

Last edited by detshen; 02-21-2011 at 02:47 PM..

Old 02-21-2011, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IXCell View Post
I think they are the worst--I have no problem with people being talented and getting accolades, but they have no talent at all...
I also think they are the worst, they are everything that is wrong with our current celebrity culture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities