Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 10:32 AM

3,984 posts, read 5,013,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
I don't want to see it. Does he get laid in the end? I only saw "Crazy Stupid Love" because it was on the tv monitor in front of me on the plane. I even saw "Planet of the Apes" on the way back. It was under classics.

Steve Carell has kind of a goofy face and a really long nose. I guess if you accessorize him correctly, you can make him into a geek, no?
I like his face...the sum of his face is attractive, but separately I suppose, he could totally be geeky. With 40 Year Old Virgin, he's surprisingly normal and his so called work friends are the ridiculous ones who try to get him, well, you know... His appeal here is that he seems normal, if not quirky, and that's his strong suit. Yep, he does get laid in the end...I can see why people wouldn't like this movie, but I enjoyed it and laughed, too. It's OK to be silly!

Same with Crazy, Stupid, Love. I really liked the back and forth between his character and Ryan Gosling's character. I think he's likable because he seems like a normal guy who's going through some crisis. Overall, I didn't care for this movie - I just don't like watching movies where spouses cheat on each other.

I know several people who enjoy his role on The Office, but I confess, I've never followed that show so I can't speak to that character, but overall, he presents as a relatively inocuous guy, who ends up showing some great characteristics, which in turn, make him loveable. For me, his big nose is an added bonus...super sexy!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2012, 10:55 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,800,858 times
I think he's cast more as "Average" guy. Geek has conotations beyond just average looking and a little goofy. If you've ever watched 'The Big Bang Theory', that's what passes for "geek" when casting a role.

Old 08-02-2012, 02:37 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,745,070 times
Maybe he's able to play a role as a geek.

Old 08-04-2012, 10:59 AM

3,763 posts, read 6,708,082 times
He fits that lovable idiot role well, I mean come on..."The Office" was great!

Old 08-05-2012, 08:19 PM

19,697 posts, read 20,229,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
I never saw "Forty Year Old Virgin" with Steve Carell
Dude, seriously..?!

Old 08-06-2012, 02:59 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,670,906 times
It's his "hook".

My fav was:
"Hey, how can we help you, sir?"
"No, no, he don't need no help! He's already been served. I served him. He's taken care of. He's a little slow, but he got it. See, what he thought was he can come up here and make the rules. But now, he see that Jay make the rules at Smart Tech, that I run this *****, and now he 'bout to bounce!"
"This your boy?"
"Yeah, *****, that's my boy. We rep the same Smart Tech. "
"You just got ****ed up with him. Both ya'll *****s gonna get clapped up when I get back."
"Both ya'll *****s!"
"What? What did I do?"
"It don't ****ing matter!"
"Yeah, well, aim high, Willis. Aim high!"

Old 08-07-2012, 08:57 PM

74 posts, read 122,512 times
It's the same reason why William Zabka always got cast as jerks/bullies - because of physical appearance.

Old 08-07-2012, 09:04 PM

19,697 posts, read 20,229,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AishaGurl91 View Post
It's the same reason why William Zabka always got cast as jerks/bullies - because of physical appearance.

lol

Old 08-09-2012, 02:54 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,826,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
Dude, seriously..?!
I didn't see it until I was 18...so I saw it late too I guess.

Old 08-09-2012, 07:19 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,361,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellNic View Post
Same with Crazy, Stupid, Love. I really liked the back and forth between his character and Ryan Gosling's character. I think he's likable because he seems like a normal guy who's going through some crisis. Overall, I didn't care for this movie - I just don't like watching movies where spouses cheat on each other.
I couldn't stand the Ryan Gosling character. A superficial person who finds depth on his deathbed. It was the Steve Carrell guy who was "more" normal all along. Granted, his ramblings at the bar, prior to his make-over, were odd, but I think that's because the length and "old shoe" factor in his marriage had made him insular to pop culture around him. I would think that's the way it is for most.

Again, it was "free" - on the plane. "Man on a Ledge" had a lot more edge to it - different genre, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities