Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 12:18 PM

4,721 posts, read 5,310,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
I'm responding to a "celebrities" post just for the hell of it, because I don't follow any celebrity gossip, and maybe I speak for others who actually have a life and don't follow this stuff. Or maybe I'm just an alien living under a rock (you can decide)
If you really don't know who these people are, I wonder how old you are. Of course, it is really none of my business but I am curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2013, 12:30 PM

3,984 posts, read 5,013,787 times
Oh Tracy, your post is funny but please note that just because some of us know who these people are doesn't mean we "don't have a life". On many of those, I find it hard to believe such an aware person as yourself is unaware...but then, that's still not indicative of having a life or not.

FYI...

Kristen Stewart was a big time child actor but made it huge with her Twilight movies
John Mayer is a singer songwriter who apparently dates every actress
Katherine Heigl has also been acting for quite some time, she's now on Grey's Anatomy and every romantic comedy film
Anne Hathaway: funny, but no...how about Devil Wears Prada?
LeAnn Rimes isn't so young anymore and she dated a married actor (Eddie Cibrian) and then married him herself after the divorce
Ashton Kutcher gets a bad rap IMO...but who cares?
Shia LeBouf is a dude and he's been in quite a few movies lately, including Transformers
Jesse James: tattooed dude who married Sandra Bulloch and then slept with dozens of trampy women....oops
Chris Brown...who...hehe...singer who beats Rihanna

There, now you know...one only has to read a few headlines or listen to morning radio to know any of these folks but it's only if the interest is there...just sayin.

Old 06-12-2013, 01:54 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,890,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgianbelle View Post
If you really don't know who these people are, I wonder how old you are. Of course, it is really none of my business but I am curious.
I'm 43. I just don't follow any "celeb" things unless they bleed over into regular news. But I don't think it's just that I'm "old," because lots of people my age seem to talk about the Karsashians, Beyoncé, Dancing with the Stars, and other stuff that I have no interest in and know very little about.

Don't get me wrong, I do have LOTS of useless knowledge--I can kick ass at Jeopardy! every night, but I stink at Teen or Kids Jeopardy because of all the pop culture questions.

Old 06-12-2013, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellNic View Post
Oh Tracy, your post is funny but please note that just because some of us know who these people are doesn't mean we "don't have a life". On many of those, I find it hard to believe such an aware person as yourself is unaware...but then, that's still not indicative of having a life or not.

FYI...

Kristen Stewart was a big time child actor but made it huge with her Twilight movies
John Mayer is a singer songwriter who apparently dates every actress
Katherine Heigl has also been acting for quite some time, she's now on Grey's Anatomy and every romantic comedy film
Anne Hathaway: funny, but no...how about Devil Wears Prada?
LeAnn Rimes isn't so young anymore and she dated a married actor (Eddie Cibrian) and then married him herself after the divorce
Ashton Kutcher gets a bad rap IMO...but who cares?
Shia LeBouf is a dude and he's been in quite a few movies lately, including Transformers
Jesse James: tattooed dude who married Sandra Bulloch and then slept with dozens of trampy women....oops
Chris Brown...who...hehe...singer who beats Rihanna

There, now you know...one only has to read a few headlines or listen to morning radio to know any of these folks but it's only if the interest is there...just sayin.

Thanks, but like I said, I would Google them. I did, and got profiles on who they are. The only radio I listen to is talk/politics, and classic rock (60s, 70s, some 80s) on satellite radio. If the headlines are on Drudge, Newsmax, Breitbart, The Blaze, or major news sites, I'll see them, but I avoid news from MSN, yahoo, the Comcast home page, etc. Yes, I might be under rock when it comes to pop culture. The last time I saw a People magazine was like 9 months ago when I was waiting way too long at the eye doctor and had read everything else in sight, and the battery was dying on my phone. I don't think I've watched a tabloid-TV show like Extra! since the 90s. If a celebrity shows up on History channel, HGTV, Discovery, Animal Planet, H2, and some TLC shows, I might learn who they are.

I didn't mean to imply that everyone in the thread has no life! Being aware of celebs is one thing, but following them is another. If people "follow" celeb news, I might question their life's priorities....

BTW, I did figure out that I sort of knew who Jesse James was. I saw him on that Tattoo show LA Ink when he was with "Kat Von D" (see, I know cool things!) but I just didn't know his last name, or that he is still in the public eye. I also recognized Katherine Heigl from Knocked Up, I just didn't know that was her name. I saw Devil Wears Prada on On-Demand (kind of hated it, not my kind of movie and some of the messages ticked me off, but Meryl Streep was hilarious), and I also saw Hathaway in the Jane Austen movie, which was decent. But I don't think I ever learned her name; she didn't make much of an impression I guess.

Old 06-13-2013, 02:23 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,078,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgianbelle View Post
I don't HATE anyone, but I do dislike some celebrities. Their actions, words, and attitudes are like anyone else's likable or not. Not liking someone would not cause most people to rape or murder. Those crimes are indicative of a personality flaw or a mental illness.
Ok, you never met these celebs in real life. You are claiming to disliking someone you never met in REAL LIFE. That's crazy!!

Old 06-13-2013, 02:34 AM

2,569 posts, read 7,741,192 times
Quote:
I'm 43. I just don't follow any "celeb" things unless they bleed over into regular news. But I don't think it's just that I'm "old," because lots of people my age seem to talk about the Karsashians, Beyoncé, Dancing with the Stars, and other stuff that I have no interest in and know very little about.

Don't get me wrong, I do have LOTS of useless knowledge--I can kick ass at Jeopardy! every night, but I stink at Teen or Kids Jeopardy because of all the pop culture questions.
I don't think its an age thing either. I am 41, and someone might point to my age as the reason for my lack of celebrity knowledge, but my 21 year old son is the same and so is my 15 year old for that matter. We have all become pretty clueless since we dropped cable. We don't watch TV, we just stream shows or movies on Netflix or Hulu and I pay attention to news but not really celebrity news. What little celeb knowledge I have I get from being bored waiting in the checkout line and having nothing to look at besides People magazine.

This applies to everyone in my household though. We don't listen to radio really, maybe NPR in the car but we opt for listening to what we have in our own individual collections of music. Plus, we are not a super social bunch, preferring to spend time with one or two close friends and so we aren't in large groups on a regular basis... we are definitely a family of introverts.

I have lots of weird obscure knowledge I'm sure, but last semester I took a class, the Sociology of Popular Music and I was teased on day one by the professor (who was in his sixties) because I was the only person in class that had never heard the song "Call Me Maybe" -- and I still haven't heard it but I know about it now, after being picked on for being so out of touch! For the record, I only took the class because I had to register late and sociology is my minor and it was all that was left that fit my schedule. I loathe popular music in general so it kind of sucked.

Old 06-13-2013, 02:47 AM

808 posts, read 1,877,922 times
Why can't a person dislike someone they've never met before? If I made a list of famous people that I like I bet nobody would ask me how I can like someone I've never met before. Disliking someone is simply the opposite reaction and is no less reasonable than liking someone. Can anyone honestly say they only have opinions about people they've met in person and are completely ambivalent towards everyone else?

Old 06-13-2013, 08:55 AM

Agree. Isn't it fine to say you probably hate Hitler, or Bin Laden, etc? You don't have to know a person personally to form an opinion. Who a person is, is revealed by their words and actions. Figure out who the person is using those words and actions, and feel free to love them or hate them!

Old 06-13-2013, 09:19 AM

6,129 posts, read 6,807,419 times
Quote:
Agree. Isn't it fine to say you probably hate Hitler, or Bin Laden, etc? You don't have to know a person personally to form an opinion. Who a person is, is revealed by their words and actions. Figure out who the person is using those words and actions, and feel free to love them or hate them!
Sorta, except Gwynneth Paltrow is no Hiltler. LOL. I get disliking someone but when it rises to the level of hate and the person hasn't actually done anything all that horrible... I mean Paltrow is "most hated?" More than Chris Brown? For doing what exactly... being pretty and dating good looking guys? Marrying a British soft rocker? Having a pretentious website? It just doesn't make sense to me. LOL

I kinda get why the adulterers are on here though. But people like Anne Hathaway just have me scratching my head.

Old 06-13-2013, 09:53 AM

No, I agree, and I clearly said I can't see people like Paltrow conjuring up any deep feeling in me, positive or negative. But I was just refuting the idea that was put forth that one cannot hate a person they've never met.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities