Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2014, 07:56 PM

51,691 posts, read 15,690,410 times

Advertisements

Remember Joe Penny from "Jake and The Fatman" and "Riptide"?
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2014, 08:04 PM

1,492 posts, read 1,617,489 times
From another of my all time favorite tv shows - The Paper Chase

James Stephens - Mr. Hart

and (although hardly "lesser")

the Great John Houseman - Professor Kingsfield

Old 02-18-2014, 08:23 PM

12,477 posts, read 17,788,054 times
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hazel_(TV_series)
Hazel Burke (Shirley Booth)
Hazel is an American sitcom about a fictional live-in maid named Hazel Burke (Shirley Booth) and her employers, the Baxters. The five-season, 154-episode series aired in primetime from September 28, 1961, until April 11, 1966, and was produced by Screen Gems. The show aired on NBC for its first four seasons (in black-and-white for all but one episode of the first season, and in color for the next three), and then in color on CBS for its final season.
The show was based on the popular single-panel comic strip by cartoonist Ted Key, which appeared in the Saturday Evening Post.

Don DeFore - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Donald John "Don" DeFore (August 25, 1913 – December 22, 1993) was an American film, radio, and television actor. DeFore is best known as "Thorny Thornberry", the Nelson family's neighbor on the long running sitcom The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet and as "George "Mr. B." Baxter" on the 1960s sitcom Hazel
Whitney Blake - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Whitney Blake
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Whitney Blake
Born
Nancy Ann Whitney
February 20, 1926
Eagle Rock, Los Angeles, California, USA
Died
September 28, 2002 (aged 76)
Edgartown, Massachusetts, USA

Cause of death
Esophageal cancer
Occupation
Actress, director, producer
Years active
1956–1998
Whitney Blake (born Nancy Ann Whitney; February 20, 1926 – September 28, 2002) was an American film and television actress, director and producer. She is known for her four seasons as the mother on the NBC early 1960s sitcom Hazel, and as co-creator and writer of the CBS mid-70s to mid-80s sitcom One Day at a Time. Her daughter is actress Meredith Baxter.

Old 02-19-2014, 08:00 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,803,961 times
Biographical information for most of these people can be found on Wikipedia.

Old 02-19-2014, 08:36 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,757,973 times
Henry Zuckerman, credited as Buck Henry

Henry's dry humor attracted attention in the entertainment community. He became a cast member on TV programs such as The New Steve Allen Show (1961) and That Was The Week That Was (1964–65). He was a co-creator and writer for Get Smart (1965–70), with Mel Brooks. Two of his TV projects had short runs but are fondly remembered by fans: Captain Nice (1967) with William Daniels as a reluctant superhero, and Quark (1978), with Richard Benjamin in command of a garbage scow in outer space.
He appeared on the television show Will and Grace (2005). He made two guest appearances on The Daily Show as a contributor in 2007. He has also appeared as Liz Lemon's father, Dick Lemon, in the 30 Rock episodes "Ludachristmas" (December 13, 2007) and "Gentleman's Intermission" (November 4, 2010). In 2011, he appeared in a multi-episode arc of Hot in Cleveland as Elka's groom

Henry has appeared in more than 40 films including Catch-22, Taking Off, The Man Who Fell to Earth, Gloria, Eating Raoul, Aria, The Graduate, Tune in Tomorrow, Defending Your Life, The Player,[5] and Grumpy Old Men. He co-directed Heaven Can Wait, the 1978 remake of Here Comes Mr. Jordan, and appeared in the film as an officious angel, reprising the character originally played by Edward Everett Horton.
His many writing credits include Candy, The Owl and the Pussycat, What's Up, Doc?, Catch-22, The Day of the Dolphin, Protocol, and To Die For. He shared an Oscar nomination for his screenplay, The Graduate, a film in which he made a cameo appearance. In 1997, Henry was the recipient of the Austin Film Festival's Distinguished Screenwriter Award.
His Broadway credits include the 2002 revival of Morning's at Seven. Off-Broadway in July 2009, he starred opposite Holland Taylor in Mother, a play by Lisa Ebersole.[6]

Buck Henry - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-19-2014, 01:52 PM

4,481 posts, read 3,637,629 times
Raul Julia
Ben Gazzara

Old 02-19-2014, 03:14 PM

8,612 posts, read 10,757,973 times
Wardell Edwin "Ward" Bond

Bond made his screen debut in Salute, and thereafter played over 200 supporting roles, rarely playing the lead in a theatrical release but starring in the television series Wagon Train from 1957 until his death in 1960. He was frequently typecast as a friendly policeman or as a brutal thug. He had a long-time working relationship with directors John Ford and Frank Capra, performing in such films as The Searchers, Drums Along the Mohawk, The Quiet Man, and Fort Apache for Ford, with whom he made 25 films, and It Happened One Night, It's a Wonderful Life and Riding High for Capra.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ward_Bond

Old 02-19-2014, 06:15 PM

7,121 posts, read 5,229,393 times
My father, who learned about movies from his mother, knew every actor it seemed and was especially fond of character actors. He taught me to spot them, and I've followed their careers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Anderson_(actor) ~ not just MacGyver's granddaddy
Eve Arden - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ~ the ultimate wisecracking, wry sidekick + Rydell High's principal
Royal Dano - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ~ I've always confused him with Victor Jory.
Sterling Holloway - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ~ Winnie the Pooh and so much more!
Victor Jory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ~ I've always confused him with Royal Dano.
Strother Martin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ~ "What we have here is failure to communicate."
Butterfly McQueen - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ~ She isn't just Prissy!
Thelma Ritter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ~ a superb character actress from her very first role
S. Z. Sakall - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ~ He didn't like being called "Cuddles" or having his chubby cheeks chucked.

This stunning gentleman tested for the role of Ashley Wilkes in "Gone with the Wind". If he'd won, there would be no question about why Scarlett O'Hara was pursuing him!
Douglass Montgomery - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ~ *sigh*
I fell in love with him after seeing "The Mystery of Edwin Drood", starring Claude Rains.

Actually, I have a mammoth trivia project that I hoped someday would become a book. It includes many of these people; I dubbed them "wallpaper actors", being that they often make up the background but often are overlooked because of the stars. I could name dozens of these! But, I don't want to overwhelm you. If I chatted about each, it would be far too much. So, guiding you to the Wikipage should do. You can see at least one picture then scroll to the bottom and click on the IMDb thread if you'd like to check out fan-chat about that actor/actress.

Last edited by MystMoonstruck; 02-19-2014 at 06:32 PM..

Old 02-19-2014, 06:29 PM

7,121 posts, read 5,229,393 times
Is a double post OK? This is as much as I'll do because I wouldn't want to wear out my welcome on the first visit.

Clara Blandick - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ~ Practically everyone knows her but not her name. "Aunty Em! Aunty Em!"
Elisha Cook, Jr. - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. ~ He's EVERYWHERE!!!!
Donnie Dunagan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ~ Bambi!
Marty Feldman - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ~ He turned a botched operation for his illness into comic genius.
Chief Dan George - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ~ He always was a delight!
Robin Hughes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ~ What a gorgeous Devil in "The Howling Man" episode of "Twilight Zone"!
Glynis Johns - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ~ Mrs. Banks in "Mary Poppins", twice a mermaid, etc.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Lane_(actor) ~ grouchy old man for most of his career
Kenneth Tobey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ~ Kenneth Tobey saves the world! ... and again! ...and again! Ditto!
M. Emmet Walsh - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ~ Check out "Monster!"!

Old 02-19-2014, 06:32 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,301,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MystMoonstruck View Post
My father, who learned about movies from his mother, knew every actor it seemed and was especially fond of character actors. He taught me to spot them, and I've followed their careers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Anderson_(actor)
Eve Arden - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Royal Dano - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Sterling Holloway - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Victor Jory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Strother Martin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Butterfly McQueen - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Thelma Ritter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
S. Z. Sakall - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This stunning gentleman tested for the role of Ashley Wilkes in "Gone with the Wind". If he'd won, there would be no question about why Scarlett O'Hara was pursuing him!
Douglass Montgomery - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I fell in love with him after seeing "The Mystery of Edwin Drood", starring Claude Rains.

Actually, I have a mammoth trivia project that I hoped someday would become a book. It includes many of these people; I dubbed them "wallpaper actors", being that they often make up the background but often are overlooked because of the stars. I could name dozens of these! But, I don't want to overwhelm you. If I chatted about each, it would be far too much. So, guiding you to the Wikipage should do. You can see at least one picture then scroll to the bottom and click on the IMDb thread if you'd like to check out fan-chat about that actor/actress.
These are great, MystMoonstruck! Thanks for joining us!!!
My wife is a huge movie buff, too, and has always said that there should be a book made about "wallpaper actors". She called them something else. She also said it would take forever to write, and be the biggest book ever written. Ha!!I think she is right!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities