Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 06:36 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,303,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
Henry Zuckerman, credited as Buck Henry

Henry's dry humor attracted attention in the entertainment community. He became a cast member on TV programs such as The New Steve Allen Show (1961) and That Was The Week That Was (1964–65). He was a co-creator and writer for Get Smart (1965–70), with Mel Brooks. Two of his TV projects had short runs but are fondly remembered by fans: Captain Nice (1967) with William Daniels as a reluctant superhero, and Quark (1978), with Richard Benjamin in command of a garbage scow in outer space.
He appeared on the television show Will and Grace (2005). He made two guest appearances on The Daily Show as a contributor in 2007. He has also appeared as Liz Lemon's father, Dick Lemon, in the 30 Rock episodes "Ludachristmas" (December 13, 2007) and "Gentleman's Intermission" (November 4, 2010). In 2011, he appeared in a multi-episode arc of Hot in Cleveland as Elka's groom

Henry has appeared in more than 40 films including Catch-22, Taking Off, The Man Who Fell to Earth, Gloria, Eating Raoul, Aria, The Graduate, Tune in Tomorrow, Defending Your Life, The Player,[5] and Grumpy Old Men. He co-directed Heaven Can Wait, the 1978 remake of Here Comes Mr. Jordan, and appeared in the film as an officious angel, reprising the character originally played by Edward Everett Horton.
His many writing credits include Candy, The Owl and the Pussycat, What's Up, Doc?, Catch-22, The Day of the Dolphin, Protocol, and To Die For. He shared an Oscar nomination for his screenplay, The Graduate, a film in which he made a cameo appearance. In 1997, Henry was the recipient of the Austin Film Festival's Distinguished Screenwriter Award.
His Broadway credits include the 2002 revival of Morning's at Seven. Off-Broadway in July 2009, he starred opposite Holland Taylor in Mother, a play by Lisa Ebersole.[6]

Buck Henry - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This one has a pic of Buck!

Buck Henry - IMDb
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2014, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praline View Post
Raul Julia
Ben Gazzara
Great one!

Ben Gazzara - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-19-2014, 08:18 PM

7,121 posts, read 5,229,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by picklejuice View Post
These are great, MystMoonstruck! Thanks for joining us!!!
My wife is a huge movie buff, too, and has always said that there should be a book made about "wallpaper actors". She called them something else. She also said it would take forever to write, and be the biggest book ever written. Ha!!I think she is right!!
I have more than 1,000 profiles printed out but haven't been able to print out the rest because they're on my ancient Brother word processor. Yes, I've been working on it that long! I went through two processors, and this one might still work. The ink cartridges might not be made anymore. That means that I'd have to fire up the WP, and, with the info on the screen, type it on my laptop~once I get Microsoft Office that is. I'd really like to pick up on working on that project.

There are so many more actors/actresses who are recognized but basically are unnamed. Some actually manage to get a lead role occasionally. I have many more of them among my favorites than ones we'd think of as stars.

I'll name a few more:
Roscoe Lee Browne - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ~ From Box in "Logan's Run" to himself as a godlike voice in "Smiley Face", he's amazing!
Billy Drago - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ~ one of the great villains! His son, Darren Burrows, didn't quite follow in his footsteps but had a great role in "Northern Exposure" (TV series).
Beth Grant - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ~ You'd know her as soon as she starts talking.
Swoosie Kurtz - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ~ She always delivers memorable performances.
Joe Morton - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ~ I can't praise him enough!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_J._O%27Connor_(actor) ~ "What was that?!" "'The Girl from Ipanema'?" ~ I love that elevator moment from "Deep Rising". The director, Stephen Sommers, likes casting O'Connor in his movies, usually as some weaselly, cowardly character.
Percy Rodriguez - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ~ What a handsome man with a magnificent voice!
Fisher Stevens - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ~ He even got to be a murderer on "Columbo"!
Kristoffer Tabori - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ~ He captured my heart when I first saw him in "The Glass House" (1972 TV movie). Actually, his unusual name in that TV Guide listing caught my attention. Since then, I've seen/taped nearly every bit of work he's done and still collect memorabilia on him. He's the son of actress Viveca Lindfors and director Don Siegel. He took the name of his stepfather, writer/director George Tabori.

I simply have to post this memorable Fisher Stevens scene from "The Brother from Another Planet", starring Joe Morton, also on the above list:

The Brother from Another Planet - New York Subway (Sam the Bellhop trick) - YouTube

Old 02-19-2014, 09:40 PM

^^^Terrific!

I'll add....

Jack Gilford

Jack Gilford - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-20-2014, 03:34 AM

^^^He's terrific! I think his best role is in "They Might Be Giants" as the quiet little man who dreams of being the Scarlet Pimpernel. Of course, he's adorable in those Cracker Jack commercials.

60s Cracker Jack Candy Commercial - YouTube

Let's see... I should be able to think of some more:
Bud Cort - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ~ I love that his cult film "Harold and Maude" has become rather well-known thanks to video. That leads me to his co-star...
Ruth Gordon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ~ I think her best work was when she was older, including "Rosemary's Baby", "Harold and Maude" and "My Bodyguard". When she did the "Columbo" episode "Try and Catch Me", it was just a matter of who could steal what scene. She certainly gave Peter Falk a challenge!
Ona Munson - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ~ Say her name to people, and they'd simply look puzzled. Say, "Belle Watling", and they might hear the tinkling of those golden bell earrings she wore in "Gone with the Wind". Some people act all of their lives and never create a really memorable role, but she certainly did as the flame-haired prostitute who is someone Rhett Butler can talk to but not fool.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avery_Schreiber ~ Of course, his former partner Jack Burns also showed up from time to time, most notably on "The Andy Griffith Show": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Burns

Old 02-21-2014, 05:05 PM

Beulah Bondi

Beulah Bondi - Biography - IMDb

"She was typecast as mothers and, later, grandmothers, and played James Stewart's mother four times, most famously as "Ma Bailey" in It's a Wonderful Life (1946). Her greatest role is considered her turn in Leo McCarey's Depression-era melodrama Make Way for Tomorrow (1937), in which she played a mother abandoned by her children."

Old 02-21-2014, 06:19 PM

He just showed up as a hotel worker on "Night Court":
Gino Conforti - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
When he was younger, I used to come close to mistaking him for Vito Scotti, as both are adept at accents. Later, I saw listings for "Gene Conforti".

Vito Scotti - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I'm sure that you'd recognize him immediately, whichever accent he's using. Here he is on "The Dick Van Dyke Show":

The Dick Van Dyke Show - Give Me Your Walls * Part One * - YouTube

She played the sweetest, cuddliest little old lady and was especially charming on "Kolchak: The Night Stalker" as Darren McGavin/Kolchak's co-worker Miss Emily:
Ruth McDevitt - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I have to admit that I don't recall this commercial with its bow to "Goldfinger" and OddJob's lethal hat. How'd I miss this?!

1964 Heinz Pickles Commercial w/Ruth McDevitt - YouTube

Old 02-21-2014, 06:32 PM

99,552 posts, read 4,490,935 times
Character actor Robert Shayne- best known as Inspector Henderson on the Adventures of Superman TV series.

Superman Homepage - Superman on Television

Old 02-21-2014, 08:12 PM

51,691 posts, read 15,692,067 times
Jack Warden. He was in 12 Angry Men, Here To Eternity and many other films.

Old 02-22-2014, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MystMoonstruck View Post
He just showed up as a hotel worker on "Night Court":
Gino Conforti - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
When he was younger, I used to come close to mistaking him for Vito Scotti, as both are adept at accents. Later, I saw listings for "Gene Conforti".

Vito Scotti - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I'm sure that you'd recognize him immediately, whichever accent he's using. Here he is on "The Dick Van Dyke Show":

The Dick Van Dyke Show - Give Me Your Walls * Part One * - YouTube

She played the sweetest, cuddliest little old lady and was especially charming on "Kolchak: The Night Stalker" as Darren McGavin/Kolchak's co-worker Miss Emily:
Ruth McDevitt - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I have to admit that I don't recall this commercial with its bow to "Goldfinger" and OddJob's lethal hat. How'd I miss this?!

1964 Heinz Pickles Commercial w/Ruth McDevitt - YouTube
Again, you are coming up with some really great ones!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities