Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 10:03 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,814,475 times

Advertisements

Some interesting factoids:

-NBC wanted William Shatner for the title role in the TV series Dr. Kildare. He wasn't interested, and the role went to Richard Chamberlain.

-Lee Marvin, who said he was out of the country and really fishing at the time, passed on the role of "Quint" in Jaws, as did Jon Voight for the role of Matt Hooper. The roles ultimately went to Robert Shaw and Richard Dreyfuss, respectively.

-Producers originally wanted Bing Crosby to play the title role in Columbo, but he didn't want to interrupt his prolific golf schedule, so the role went to Peter Falk.

-Cher passed on the hit, "The Nights the Lights Went Out In Georgia," so Vicky Lawrence went on to "sing" it. Sonny, who was also Cher's manager, was actually the one who nixed the song.

-Spielberg wanted Steve McQueen for the lead role in Close Encounters..., but he wasn't able to cry on cue. Richard Dreyfuss had no such problem, so he landed the role.

-Network brass wanted to create a show called Our Four Daughters featuring the Lennon Sisters. They couldn't commit the time, however, and the show ended up being about a widowed dad with three sons, called....My Three Sons.

-John Travolta passed on the lead role in American Gigolo, so it went to Richard Gere. Travolta, busy with flying lessons, also turned down Gere's role in An Officer and A Gentleman.

-Karen Allen was the producers' first choice for the lead in Pretty Woman, but she turned it down. So did Molly Ringwald, who said she couldn't play a prostitute. I hope Julia Roberts sent them both a fruit basket.

-Tom Selleck passed on the role of Indiana Jones, which ultimately went to Harrison Ford.

-Tuesday Weld was originally offered Mia Farrow's role in Rosemary's Baby, but she turned it down.

-Geena Davis and Lori Petty sure seem to be mismatched as sisters in A League of Their Own. In fact, Debra Winger was originally tapped for Geena Davis' part, but dropped out when Madonna was signed.

-Angie Dickinson was offered the role of Krystle Carrington in Dynasty, but refused it, so Linda Evans got the role.

-Bruce Willis turned down Patrick Swayze's role in then-wife Demi Moore's movie, Ghost, because he didn't want to play a ghost. He went on to rave reviews about 10 years later in The Sixth Sense in which he played....a ghost.

-Don Johnson passed on Mark Harmon's role in NCIS.

-The part of Mrs. Robinson in the movie of the same name, was originally offered to Doris Day.

-Bette Midler turned down the role of Annie Wilkes in Misery, calling it "too violent." Kathy Bates went on to win an Oscar for her performance in the role.

What's interesting is that a lot of these roles were offered to celebs who were often just coming off a successful long-running TV or movie role. Producers like "flavors of the month' but, as we can see, that doesn't always matter and doesn't always translate into repeated success.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2014, 03:35 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,257,171 times
I would say that the vast majority of the actors who "missed out" on those roles did alright anyway.

Old 04-23-2014, 03:38 PM

17,565 posts, read 15,226,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
I would say that the vast majority of the actors who "missed out" on those roles did alright anyway.
Of course.. If they didn't become famous, they're not even trivia-worthy.

Another one that I know of.. Doesn't snugly fit with the above ones that you've mentioned, but Chris Farley had recorded something like 85% of Shrek before he died. They brought in Mike Myers to replace him.

Old 04-23-2014, 03:42 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,734,689 times
You wonder of the movies/tv would be as good. I can't imagine most of the 'original' actors.

Gwynth Paltrow passed on the role of Rose in Titanic. I cannot picture her over Kate Winslet.

Old 04-23-2014, 04:10 PM

21,461 posts, read 10,562,304 times
Comments in red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Some interesting factoids:

-Producers originally wanted Bing Crosby to play the title role in Columbo, but he didn't want to interrupt his prolific golf schedule, so the role went to Peter Falk. Man, I can't imagine Columbo without Peter Falk. Bing Crosby would have done the whole thing differently and not as memorably.

-John Travolta passed on the lead role in American Gigolo, so it went to Richard Gere. Travolta, busy with flying lessons, also turned down Gere's role in An Officer and A Gentleman. So, that must have been when Travolta stopped getting roles. I think he was probably smart to turn down American Gigolo, but An Officer and A Gentleman was a good movie.

-Karen Allen was the producers' first choice for the lead in Pretty Woman, but she turned it down. So did Molly Ringwald, who said she couldn't play a prostitute. I hope Julia Roberts sent them both a fruit basket. Molly Ringwald? Wow, I did not know that. Can't picture it at all.

-Geena Davis and Lori Petty sure seem to be mismatched as sisters in A League of Their Own. In fact, Debra Winger was originally tapped for Geena Davis' part, but dropped out when Madonna was signed. I wonder what was going on between Debra Winger and Madonna? Or was Debra Winger just too good to work with a pop star? I've heard both of them are biatches, so maybe it was just one biatch too many.

-Bruce Willis turned down Patrick Swayze's role in then-wife Demi Moore's movie, Ghost, because he didn't want to play a ghost. He went on to rave reviews about 10 years later in The Sixth Sense in which he played....a ghost. I think Willis made a very good choice there. He was the new action star after Die Hard, so probably didn't want to screw that up.

Old 04-23-2014, 07:12 PM

8,067 posts, read 4,741,997 times
Quote:
Gwynth Paltrow passed on the role of Rose in Titanic. I cannot picture her over Kate Winslet.
The iceberg would have been a more suitable role for her.

I recall Nicollette Sheridan was the other finalist in the casting of Grace in Will and Grace, the role ultimately going to Debra Messing.

It is said that the 'Dorothy' role on The Golden Girls was offered to Lee Grant, but she turned it down.

Old 04-24-2014, 11:58 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,253,680 times
Audie Murphy was director Don Siegel's first choice to play the role of the Scorpio killer in "Dirty Harry". Murphy died in an airplane crash before Siegel had a chance to ask him about it.

Old 04-25-2014, 07:47 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,257,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Of course.. If they didn't become famous, they're not even trivia-worthy.
I actually think it's more interesting to read about career character actors and B-list leads that passed on roles that might have taken them to the top of the heap.

Old 04-25-2014, 10:07 AM

3,550 posts, read 6,487,576 times
They wanted Jeffrey Hunter to play the Captain of the Enterprise in "Star Trek" but his wife made him turn it down because she thought it was a kiddie show. Today William Shatner is a world famous icon.
George Lazenby was supposed to play James Bond in more than just one film but his wife (again the wife!) told him spy movies were out, it was all about hippie movies now.
I'm thinking these guys wouldv'e been better off had they been single

Old 04-25-2014, 10:17 AM

3,051 posts, read 3,278,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielAvery View Post
The iceberg would have been a more suitable role for her.

I recall Nicollette Sheridan was the other finalist in the casting of Grace in Will and Grace, the role ultimately going to Debra Messing.

It is said that the 'Dorothy' role on The Golden Girls was offered to Lee Grant, but she turned it down.
Not sure about this, but I know the creators of The Golden Girls intended for Dorothy to be a Bea Arthur-type character. They finally decided to just go after Bea Arthur, and they got her.

I can't imagine Dorothy played by anyone else but I have no idea who Lee Grant even is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities