Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2017, 08:29 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,828,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I saw the incident when it happened, and it was horrid. John Denver wasn't in attendance, but had a prepared acceptance speech videotaped and it was playing on the screen when Charlie Rich lit up the envelope.

There's no point in arguing this. Maybe you should read Take Me Home. In his own words, John Denver does reveal his feeling of being snubbed by the industry, even though in his heyday he was a very popular musician. He had, and still has, a very very loyal fan base that John Denver was grateful for and actually a little mystified by their adoration.

Of course you're right. It was well-known at the time that JD was hurt by that We Are the World snub. He called Geldof personally to inquire about it, and was told that a number of performers threatened to bolt if JD appeared. They considered him to be "too pop." And, c'mon...hokey, too. What a joke. Anyway, Geldof decided to nix JD in favor of the big egos---the hypocrites soooo interested in global welfare they snubbed an artist who was advocating those things before it was fashionable.

JD said that after he hung up, it stung--but only a little because he considered the benefit of the big picture. Bob Geldof, to his credit, remembered seeing JD say that (on Larry King, I think) and had nothing but nice things to say about how he accepted being overlooked. Which, he said, was in direct contrast to Joan Baez (nixed because she hadn't "charted" in years), who was irate and, according to him, never missed an opportunity to tell him so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2017, 08:43 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

35,631 posts, read 17,968,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Of course you're right. It was well-known at the time that JD was hurt by that We Are the World snub. He called Geldof personally to inquire about it, and was told that a number of performers threatened to bolt if JD appeared. They considered him to be "too pop." And, c'mon...hokey, too. What a joke. Anyway, Geldof decided to nix JD in favor of the big egos---the hypocrites soooo interested in global welfare they snubbed an artist who was advocating those things before it was fashionable.

JD said that after he hung up, it stung--but only a little because he considered the benefit of the big picture. Bob Geldof, to his credit, remembered seeing JD say that (on Larry King, I think) and had nothing but nice things to say about how he accepted being overlooked. Which, he said, was in direct contrast to Joan Baez (nixed because she hadn't "charted" in years), who was irate and, according to him, never missed an opportunity to tell him so.
Um hm. He fell into a category of musicians who I think were labeled "bubblegum". David Cassidy, Donny Osmond, Barry Manilow, Sean Cassidy, Bobby Sherman, the Carpenters, Paul Anka. Excellent musicians, all of them, but they didn't garner a lot of respect from other musicians. It's sad. I think if a musician has a largely female audience, they kind of get sidelined. Elvis Presley being the exception.

One of the funniest stories John Denver told in his memoir was trying out for a spot on The Monkees TV show and band. Those casting the show said John Denver wasn't "goofy enough", something he found very funny and ironic.

Anyway, RIP John. You are missed.

Old 08-03-2017, 08:55 PM

876 posts, read 813,512 times
Folk > Country

Old 08-04-2017, 02:03 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,663,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by picklejuice View Post
Okay, folks. Please, let's not bicker.

To borrow from ( another much beloved & gone too soon) Michael Landon' s sentiment and last wishes..."Remember me with smiles and laughter..."
While others obviously won't I will honor your request.

Old 08-04-2017, 09:32 AM

20,048 posts, read 18,307,736 times
Okay, here's the Truth:

It wasnt at all about being pop or bubble gum. It was about his anti-war stance. That is what really ticked off that community of artists. He was viewed a male Jane Fonda. He was labeled as just another dirty hippie. That's the truth. He was anti nuke. He was anti war. He adopted two non Caucasian children. He was a environmentalist.

And for all those things, I am the most proud of him!

Old 08-04-2017, 02:30 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,663,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by picklejuice View Post
Okay, here's the Truth:

It wasnt at all about being pop or bubble gum. It was about his anti-war stance. That is what really ticked off that community of artists. He was viewed a male Jane Fonda. He was labeled as just another dirty hippie. That's the truth. He was anti nuke. He was anti war. He adopted two non Caucasian children. He was a environmentalist.

And for all those things, I am the most proud of him!
No one is going to get me to say anything bad about JD,sorry not happening.Maybe John felt slighted but that was his own opinion not the truth and pickel I respect you but your wrong also.Springsteen had performed at the "No Nuke " concert ,Springsteen and Dylan tell me they weren't anti War???Go back and look at the amount of artist that were not in it,it is astounding.Everyone could not be in it someone was going to have their feelings hurt ...evident JD thought himself above his peers according to some of the people posting here.No bigger activest than Dan Fogelberg and where was he?
Neil Young,Steven Stills,James Taylor,Carole King, Peter ,Paul and Mary....,the list of people not on it goes on and on.

Last edited by G1..; 08-04-2017 at 02:40 PM..

Old 08-04-2017, 03:21 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvEvdpdcHwc

Old 08-04-2017, 03:22 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHwf2iJLFic

Old 08-04-2017, 03:23 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpO0lsTQSs0

Old 08-04-2017, 03:28 PM

Listen to all of the videos in total, including this one.

Let John's own words speak the/his TRUTH....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKc0wEmwmYc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities