Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2018, 07:27 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,122,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
Despite those sausage fingers, the man could play anything with strings.

Yep. He was very talented.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2018, 10:01 AM

2,015 posts, read 1,647,276 times
Amazing guitar player.

Old 11-27-2018, 05:24 PM

9,727 posts, read 9,724,250 times
Eddie Van Halen and Jimmy Hendrix were both asked if THEY were the greatest guitar players. Both said it was "Roy Clark".

Old 12-04-2018, 05:01 PM

29,212 posts, read 22,344,773 times
Although the banjo was Roy's second instrument, he was so good on it that he won several player's polls in the 1980s over Earl Scruggs.

Those were all banjo player's polls. Beating Earl showed just how popular Roy was at his height.

Old 12-04-2018, 05:11 PM

1,376 posts, read 1,365,874 times
I can tell you how good Roy is. He was playing a song when a string broke. IIRC it was the G string that broke and he did not miss a beat. He just played around it but he had to work hard on it that he broke out in a sweat but he did it and smoothly at that.

Old 12-06-2018, 08:58 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,257,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
Eddie Van Halen and Jimmy Hendrix were both asked if THEY were the greatest guitar players. Both said it was "Roy Clark".
Source?

There's an oft-repeated and usually untrue quote that routinely makes its rounds in the music world that goes something like this:

Guitarist X was asked, "What's it like to be the greatest guitarist in the world?" Guitarist X replied, "I don't know, why don't you ask Guitarist Y?"

I've been a huge fan of both Hendrix and Van Halen since I was a teenager, and have devoured every scrap of biographical information about both guitarists I can find and have never heard that quote attributed to either one of them with regard to Roy Clark. I've seen unsourced quotes from Hendrix saying that about Rory Gallagher whose name could possibly be misheard as Roy Clark. But Eddie has a bit of an ego so I really can't see him saying that about anyone. The only guitarist I've ever heard him speak of with any reverence was Alan Holdsworth.

Not to take anything away from Roy Clark, whose talent as a guitarist is sometimes overlooked.

Old 12-06-2018, 12:16 PM

1,376 posts, read 1,365,874 times
There cannot be a best guitarist. Each and every guitarist are unique. You either like them or not.

I have two favorite guitarists that I never tire of. That's Mark Farner of Grand Funk Railroad and Buck Dharma of Blue Oyster Cult.

There's many others I really like like John Foggerty, Tony Iommi, Richie Blackmore, The guitarist of Oz Knozz (don't know his name), J Giels and many more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities