Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2022, 03:34 PM

17,567 posts, read 15,226,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
Really. All Jada did was roll her eyes.

Yeah, it wasn't a great joke or anything.. An eye roll was probably the max level reaction to it. It wasn't insulting.

It was.. Probably better than the "Uma.. Oprah.. Oprah.. Uma.. Oprah, Uma, Have you kids met Keanu?" that Letterman told. Not really funny.. but, you see the observation he was making. It was a legit attempt at a joke.. Fell flat.. But, there was a joke there. Same with Rock's joke.. Meh. Not all that great, but props for coming up with it and referencing a (bad) 25 year old movie to do it.

Another eye-roller that apparently started a feud between Letterman and Oprah that lasted 10+ years.

FWIW.. I'll bet money that Chris Rock gets far, far, FAR more mileage out of this. He's probably writing an entire routine about this right now that will be gold. He'll likely be on SNL this weekend making fun of it in some way.

Old 03-28-2022, 03:38 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,466,846 times
Chris was the one who got hit, but Will is the one everyone is comforting. How twisted is that?

Chris brought humor to the Oscars.
Will brought street violence.

Old 03-28-2022, 03:42 PM

9,436 posts, read 5,197,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
Assault??? Rock got slapped not punched and it was only once. Rock could have punched Will back. These were two men. It was a fair fight.

If Will didn't do anything the media and people would be all over him. Push-over, Rock insults Jada and Will does nothing, etc. It is a double edge sword for Will.
Uh....that slap was 'battery.'

Old 03-28-2022, 03:43 PM

6,786 posts, read 4,224,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Yeah, it wasn't a great joke or anything.. An eye roll was probably the max level reaction to it. It wasn't insulting.

It was.. Probably better than the "Uma.. Oprah.. Oprah.. Uma.. Oprah, Uma, Have you kids met Keanu?" that Letterman told. Not really funny.. but, you see the observation he was making. It was a legit attempt at a joke.. Fell flat.. But, there was a joke there. Same with Rock's joke.. Meh. Not all that great, but props for coming up with it and referencing a (bad) 25 year old movie to do it.

Another eye-roller that apparently started a feud between Letterman and Oprah that lasted 10+ years.

The irony is that if they do a gig like the Oscars, a comedian will by default tone down their act to fit the generally requested 'all in good fun' vibe of such an event. I bet you Chris Rock could do much heavier damage if he wanted to, but told that joke because he thought it's the kind of fairly mild ribbing that you can do in this type of situation without inviting negativity.

Of course another irony is that they basically need a comedian to host the Oscars in order to keep the show from being the dullest, most tedious exercise in self-congratulation and smug lecturing in the world. People loved it when Billy Crystal hosted it, and his jokes were often at about the same level of mockery as what Chris Rock did i.e. there's enough spice to it to keep it a little interesting but not enough to actually cause annoyance/anger.

Chris Rock's bad luck might have been that he walked right into the middle of a kinda effed up marriage between Will Smith and Jada Pinkett Smith.

Old 03-28-2022, 03:44 PM

8,935 posts, read 4,759,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post

FWIW.. I'll bet money that Chris Rock gets far, far, FAR more mileage out of this. He's probably writing an entire routine about this right now that will be gold. He'll likely be on SNL this weekend making fun of it in some way.
Oh, you know that's coming. Will put Chris Rock (whose star was kind of fading as his was rapidly rising) back into the fray. Use it to your advantage, Rock! You know a meme is coming. Never act thin-skinned, stupid in front of a comedian. They'll make mince pie out of you.

When a comedian (I forget who and what award show though I think it was the Oscars!) made a pot shot at JLo, she just made a confused face and Affleck just rolled his eyes and shrugged his shoulders. That's how you handle comedians. Not acting all ape s*** crazy.

Will, you blew it. Showed your true colors there, buddy.

Pity because he could've saved it by owning up to it (instead of playing the martyr) by admitting that he kind of lost it. Then people would've forgiven him. We're not perfect (we've all been there) and we would've had more respect for him. But that would require humility, which is something Will (and Jada) don't have.

Last edited by Aeran; 03-28-2022 at 03:53 PM..

Old 03-28-2022, 03:52 PM

1,937 posts, read 700,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
Oh, you know that's coming. Will put Chris Rock (whose star was kind of fading as his was rapidly rising) back into the fray. Use it to your advantage, Rock! You know a meme is coming. Never act thin-skinned, stupid in front of a comedian. They'll make mince pie out of you.

When a comedian (I forget who and what award show though I think it was the Oscars!) made a pot shot at JLo I recall JLo just making a face and Affleck just rolling his eyes and shrugging his shoulders. That's how you handle comedians. Not acting all ape s*** crazy.

Will, you blew it. Showed your true colors there, buddy.

Imagine if Chris Rock used some of his "Nat X" dialogue? Analyzing Will Smith's performance in King Richard - "I've seen better actin' from tough actin' Tinactin."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities