Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2024, 05:34 PM

3,320 posts, read 4,131,452 times

Advertisements

Always got a little snicker off the contrast between his gentle and soft hearted hit single Don't Give Up On Us, and his role in Starsky & Hutch, a show that was a big hit, but became the target of a campaign to reduce violence on TV. Pressure was put on the network to cancel the show, and it was canceled. Wish I could go back in time, hijack the network feed and air some episodes of NYPD Blue, it would have made their heads explode beck then, now that was a show that pushed all the limits, even for the 90's.

I think Mr. Soul did a very good job with this song and video, very touching. He definitely had some talent to pull this off, maybe he could have been another Eric Carmen or Leo Sayer if he had stuck to his music.

RIP David Soul

Don't Give Up On Us

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YY8APrYU2Gs

Last edited by mofford; 01-05-2024 at 05:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2024, 06:47 PM

12,388 posts, read 8,155,775 times
After Hutch I remember David Soul played the leader of a team in a show that was like a cross between CSI and Criminal Minds called Unsub. And the based on real life TV movie series In The Line of Duty when he played one of the bank robbers who killed 2 FBI Agents in 1986 Miami.

Old 01-05-2024, 06:54 PM

8,272 posts, read 8,657,742 times
The domestic violence arrest hurt him career wise.

Old 01-05-2024, 11:09 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,643,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mofford View Post
Always got a little snicker off the contrast between his gentle and soft hearted hit single Don't Give Up On Us, and his role in Starsky & Hutch, a show that was a big hit, but became the target of a campaign to reduce violence on TV. Pressure was put on the network to cancel the show, and it was canceled. Wish I could go back in time, hijack the network feed and air some episodes of NYPD Blue, it would have made their heads explode beck then, now that was a show that pushed all the limits, even for the 90's.

I think Mr. Soul did a very good job with this song and video, very touching. He definitely had some talent to pull this off, maybe he could have been another Eric Carmen or Leo Sayer if he had stuck to his music.

RIP David Soul

Don't Give Up On Us

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YY8APrYU2Gs
He is a good singer.
I enjoyed Starsky & Hutch... Rest In Peace, David.

Old 01-06-2024, 07:44 AM

Never realized Don't Give Up On Us was a #1 song, not only in the US, but Canada and the UK as well. ABC news said this morning he really wanted to play Starsky, but ended up with the character of Hutch. I guess he felt the same way Larry Wilcox did in having to play opposite Eric Estrada in Chips, lol.

Another thing they mentioned which I had forgotten, his first cop role was in the 1973 Dirty Harry movie, Magnum Force. He was in a group of vigilante cops that were executing the cities most wanted criminals, seems like I remember him pulling over a nasty pimp in his fancy cadillac, whom earlier had force fed one of his ho's a bottle of drain cleaner, he blew him away. Harry should have left those guys alone to do their thing, lol. Think I will watch that tonight, one of my favorites from the Dirty Harry series.

Old 01-06-2024, 07:52 AM

11,638 posts, read 12,709,490 times
Before Starsky and Hutch, he was a guest star in a Star Trek episode, The Apple. It was one of the silliest episodes where David had to feed Val. When you are first starting out, you take whatever roles you can get. Lots of girls had crushes on him when he was in Starsky and Hutch. He played the eye candy part. RIP, David.

Old 01-06-2024, 08:18 AM

19,808 posts, read 9,367,244 times
I liked him as a singer and actor. (I won't say more than that.)

Old 01-07-2024, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Never realized Don't Give Up On Us was a #1 song, not only in the US, but Canada and the UK as well. ABC news said this morning he really wanted to play Starsky, but ended up with the character of Hutch. I guess he felt the same way Larry Wilcox did in having to play opposite Eric Estrada in Chips, lol.

Another thing they mentioned which I had forgotten, his first cop role was in the 1973 Dirty Harry movie, Magnum Force. He was in a group of vigilante cops that were executing the cities most wanted criminals, seems like I remember him pulling over a nasty pimp in his fancy cadillac, whom earlier had force fed one of his ho's a bottle of drain cleaner, he blew him away. Harry should have left those guys alone to do their thing, lol. Think I will watch that tonight, one of my favorites from the Dirty Harry series.
I enjoyed watching Magnum Force several times. I was a mechanic in Carmel, CA. I worked on Clint & family vehicles. My wife worked with Dina Ruiz, at KSBW TV channel 8.

Clint bought me a few beers at his Hog's Breath bar & restaurant...

Old 01-07-2024, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
I enjoyed watching Magnum Force several times. I was a mechanic in Carmel, CA. I worked on Clint & family vehicles. My wife worked with Dina Ruiz, at KSBW TV channel 8.

Clint bought me a few beers at his Hog's Breath bar & restaurant...
That must have been pretty awesome to have a few beers with Clint, he is top actor among the living or dead in my book, along with Jack Nicholson, the loss of either will be tragic. I enjoyed watching Magnum Force last night, I was mistaken, Soul did not kill the pimp. He didn't have a lot of lines but some good scenes at the shooting range beating Harry's score, and the motorcycle chase at the end where they are hunting down Harry and Soul takes a dive into the bay. The guy that played Lt. Briggs did a great job in that movie. I think Sudden Impact was probably the best of the Dirty Harry series, followed by Magnum Force. I think it highly improbable the way the rogue cops executed these high profile criminals in broad daylight with traffic going by and all those potential witnesses. A man's got to know his limitations !

Old 01-10-2024, 04:17 AM

Quote:
That must have been pretty awesome to have a few beers with Clint, he is top actor among the living or dead in my book, along with Jack Nicholson, the loss of either will be tragic. I enjoyed watching Magnum Force last night, I was mistaken, Soul did not kill the pimp. He didn't have a lot of lines but some good scenes at the shooting range beating Harry's score, and the motorcycle chase at the end where they are hunting down Harry and Soul takes a dive into the bay. The guy that played Lt. Briggs did a great job in that movie. I think Sudden Impact was probably the best of the Dirty Harry series, followed by Magnum Force. I think it highly improbable the way the rogue cops executed these high profile criminals in broad daylight with traffic going by and all those potential witnesses. A man's got to know his limitations !
Clint, has always been a good down to earth man. Good Times. We were all young back then
I watched Sudden Impact numerous times. Clint & Sondra Locke spent several years together.

The first time i saw Clint he was driving his ol' pickup around Carmel, or carrying his son up on his shoulders, around town. His wife, Maggie drove a caddy...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities