Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 11:15 AM

2,540 posts, read 3,741,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
I fear the movie company is milking Ledger's death.
Which isn’t hard because of our human psychology.
Nowadays it is a given that when a famous musician dies his latest album automatically ends up in the Top of the music charts because of sentimental value instead of the quality of the work.
I guess it is the same for famous actors.
In Holland we have a saying One man's death is another man's bread and it seems that this is doubly so for show business.
I agree. His tragic death makes it so easy for the movie studio to take full advantage of it. I don't believe the hype will be this big if Heath didn't die tragically. Then again, they might just give an Oscar to Heath for sympathy's sake. I didn't mean to imply that he's not good (I haven't watched him afterall), I just find this whole posthumous Oscar thing a bit silly, considering there are many, many, actors in Hollywood who are just as good, if not better, who are still waiting for their chance at the Oscar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2008, 08:07 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,362,758 times
I of course haven't seen his performance, but I doubt Heath will receive an Oscar for his role in The Dark Knight. not saying he couldn't be great in it, but, despite the tragedy attached to it, TDK is still only a comic book action movie, not the type of movie to garner many nominations. seems like the folks over at the Academy prefers high brow movies (look at how many smaller, mostly independent films won last year) over "popcorn movies". Ledger was amazing in Brokeback Mountain and should have won an Oscar for that movie (or maybe he did? I don't really keep track of that stuff). he will however, definitely get some recognition at the ceremony next year

I know it's OT, but I recently finished watching the movie Bully that starred Brad Renfro, and my roommates and I, after looking at this thread, decided that if Heath gets an Oscar for his role in TDK, Brad should have gotten an award for his role in Bully. they died w/in days or weeks of each other, but Heath was the bigger, more "wholesome" celeb

Old 07-02-2008, 12:17 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,248,104 times
Originally Posted by eevee
Quote:
seems like the folks over at the Academy prefers high brow movies (look at how many smaller, mostly independent films won last year) over "popcorn movies".
Didn't Titanic received an Oscar?
If so, what is so high brow about it?
Although to be honest I have never seen Titanic myself.

Old 07-02-2008, 12:53 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,362,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by eeveeDidn't Titanic received an Oscar?
If so, what is so high brow about it?
Although to be honest I have never seen Titanic myself.
maybe "high brow" was a poor choice of words. but action packed summer blockbusters often referred to as "popcorn movies" tend not to get nominated for many awards. now that I think about it, I wonder how many action films and/or comic book films get nominated for any sort of award, even on a technical level like special effects.

Old 07-02-2008, 01:05 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,248,104 times
Originally Posted by eevee
Quote:
but action packed summer blockbusters often referred to as "popcorn movies" tend not to get nominated for many awards.ers
I agree.
If I'm not mistaken Martin Scorsese only received 1 Oscar for The Departed but he has made more movies of the same (if not higher) quality.

Old 07-02-2008, 01:47 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,263,295 times
i've heard the same thing

regardless if whether the movie industry is "milking" Ledger's death, no doubt the man was a great actor and died too young.

it'll be interseting to see if he wins ... i've heard nothing but great things about his performance

Old 07-02-2008, 02:07 PM

2,080 posts, read 6,949,363 times
Default Gladiator

Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
maybe "high brow" was a poor choice of words. but action packed summer blockbusters often referred to as "popcorn movies" tend not to get nominated for many awards. now that I think about it, I wonder how many action films and/or comic book films get nominated for any sort of award, even on a technical level like special effects.
Wasn't Gladiator concidered action/drama. Had all the technical levels of special effects and was concidered a "popcorn movie" b/c of the late spring-early summer relase of 2000. Didn't that movie garnered some 5 Oscars including Best Picture and Best Actor (don't get me started on that BA win).

So, with the right screen play, action movies can be recognised for awards. Look at Sigourney Weaver in Aliens. She got the Oscar nom. for her performance and that was action packed!

So, Heath may have a chance!

Old 07-02-2008, 02:12 PM

2,080 posts, read 6,949,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foma View Post

regardless if whether the movie industry is "milking" Ledger's death, no doubt the man was a great actor and died too young.

it'll be interseting to see if he wins ... i've heard nothing but great things about his performance
Phewwww. I thought i was the only one!

Here's the CNN story. Kind of long....

Could Heath Ledger really win an Oscar? - CNN.com (http://www.cnn.com/2008/SHOWBIZ/Movies/07/02/film.ledger.oscarbuzz.ap/index.html - broken link)

Last edited by brikag; 07-02-2008 at 02:32 PM..

Old 07-02-2008, 02:36 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,060,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foma View Post

Exactly.
Quote:
I saw another trailer yesterday. It looks like a good movie, including Heath's portrayal of the Joker.
Ledger is beyond caring about this sort of thing, if he ever did.
I know that Oscars are given for all sorts of reasons, and sometimes an actor or director will even win for a certain movie when he/she is considered overdue or whatever.
But I agree with grace that there other other actors doing good work who deserve recognition.
Of course, as the trite saying goes, it's an honor just to be nominated...

Old 07-04-2008, 03:41 AM

7,731 posts, read 13,440,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
Yes! Researched a little bit.

We'll see I guess.
Peter Finch - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities