Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2014, 11:36 AM

50,344 posts, read 63,928,555 times

Advertisements

Kathy Griffin was on the Today show this morning telling stories about Joan. She said Joan was good friends with Prince Charles and Camila, and that she painted with Charles. I know she said some scathingly wicked things about Camilla, so she seemed to be close friends with many people she joked about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2014, 11:58 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,544,608 times
I grew up watching her on the red carpet and used to watch her on tv shows- LOVED her!! She was funny and honest I liked that she wasn't so uptight or followed the rules. She had a great spirit! RIP Joan!

Old 09-05-2014, 03:52 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,251,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I'm counting Lauren Bacall
And on her Twitter account, Joan expressed sadness at the death of both Robin Williams and Lauren Bacall, not knowing she would be #3.

Old 09-05-2014, 05:12 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,341,957 times
Debra Norville was just interviewed and she was at the clinic when Joan was there. Apparently, Joan was not in for surgery but just an exam to see what was causing her throat problem. According to another site, Joan had to be sitting up and even though under some type of anesthesia, she had to be able to swallow when told to do so, so that the doctors could see any obstruction. I see a major lawsuit in the works.

Last edited by SXMGirl; 09-05-2014 at 05:20 PM..

Old 09-05-2014, 06:13 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,251,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SXMGirl View Post
Debra Norville was just interviewed and she was at the clinic when Joan was there. Apparently, Joan was not in for surgery but just an exam to see what was causing her throat problem. According to another site, Joan had to be sitting up and even though under some type of anesthesia, she had to be able to swallow when told to do so, so that the doctors could see any obstruction. I see a major lawsuit in the works.
That sounds to me like a laryngoscopy, where they just spray a local anesthetic in your nose/throat and wait a few minutes for it to take effect, then they look in your nose/throat with a fiberoptic laryngoscope. I have had several laryngoscopies done and they are no big deal.

BUT, it could have caused laryngospasm and that could have caused her to stop breathing. It seems like they would have/should have known that laryngoscopy could cause laryngospasm and had appropriate personnel/medication/equipment at home in case that happened, especially in an 81 year old.

I don't know if Joan normally drove herself around New York, but if she did and she drove herself to the clinic that day, that would indicate that she just getting local anesthetic. But she probably had a driver either way.

If the doctors did something wrong, I hope it is discovered and they are held accountable. If it was just her time, then I hope that is discovered too. I'm sure the doctors are beside themselves right now, whether they did something wrong or not. Sometimes there's a mistake and sometimes things just happen and there's nothing you can do. I just hope it is clear which it is.

From her comments on stage, in her books, and on film about death, it makes me think that she knew her health was precarious. It seemed like she was trying to prepare Melissa for her death. She talked about death a LOT, even the night before she died. Maybe she knew she didn't have long.

In that video I posted before where she was talking to Melissa before she went in for a cosmetic procedure, she was saying if something happened...and was basically reassuring Melissa that she would be okay if she (Joan) were to die.

Last edited by luzianne; 09-05-2014 at 06:41 PM..

Old 09-05-2014, 06:52 PM

50,344 posts, read 63,928,555 times
Quote:
I just had an upper GI scope, and they usually knock you out with propofol, which is commonly used for colonoscopies also, and it is a great drug when used properly. It knocks you out and as soon as they stop administering it, you wake up. We don't know if this is what they used on Joan Rivers though.

Old 09-05-2014, 07:17 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,341,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I just had an upper GI scope, and they usually knock you out with propofol, which is commonly used for colonoscopies also, and it is a great drug when used properly. It knocks you out and as soon as they stop administering it, you wake up. We don't know if this is what they used on Joan Rivers though.
I think that I heard somewhere today that they did use propofol, which I guess that I had when I had my colonoscopy. Her friend, who is also some type of doctor, said that she had to be awake for part of the procedure so that she could swallow and the doctors could see any obstructions.

Since the news is saying that she had a heart attack, it might just have been her time. She seemed so full of life that it is hard to believe that she is gone, but we never know when our time is up. I hope that is just what they find from the autopsy and there was no medical malpractice involved.

Old 09-05-2014, 07:43 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,725,723 times
Quote:
I think that I heard somewhere today that they did use propofol, which I guess that I had when I had my colonoscopy. Her friend, who is also some type of doctor, said that she had to be awake for part of the procedure so that she could swallow and the doctors could see any obstructions.

Since the news is saying that she had a heart attack, it might just have been her time. She seemed so full of life that it is hard to believe that she is gone, but we never know when our time is up. I hope that is just what they find from the autopsy and there was no medical malpractice involved.

I totally agree. I just hope that it's something that would have happened whether she was having the procedure done or not.

I love Joan Rivers and I will miss her so much!

I hope Melissa and Cooper are OK as well as all her friends/staff.

Old 09-05-2014, 08:00 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,038,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
That sounds to me like a laryngoscopy, where they just spray a local anesthetic in your nose/throat and wait a few minutes for it to take effect, then they look in your nose/throat with a fiberoptic laryngoscope. I have had several laryngoscopies done and they are no big deal.

BUT, it could have caused laryngospasm and that could have caused her to stop breathing. It seems like they would have/should have known that laryngoscopy could cause laryngospasm and had appropriate personnel/medication/equipment at home in case that happened, especially in an 81 year old.

I don't know if Joan normally drove herself around New York, but if she did and she drove herself to the clinic that day, that would indicate that she just getting local anesthetic. But she probably had a driver either way.

If the doctors did something wrong, I hope it is discovered and they are held accountable. If it was just her time, then I hope that is discovered too. I'm sure the doctors are beside themselves right now, whether they did something wrong or not. Sometimes there's a mistake and sometimes things just happen and there's nothing you can do. I just hope it is clear which it is.

From her comments on stage, in her books, and on film about death, it makes me think that she knew her health was precarious. It seemed like she was trying to prepare Melissa for her death. She talked about death a LOT, even the night before she died. Maybe she knew she didn't have long.

In that video I posted before where she was talking to Melissa before she went in for a cosmetic procedure, she was saying if something happened...and was basically reassuring Melissa that she would be okay if she (Joan) were to die.
I don't agree with this at all.

All reports say she was healthy and if her health was precarious, why would a doctor allow that procedure to be done on an outpatient basis? That would most definitely be malpractice.

She talked about her age and death because she was old and it provided good fodder for comedic material. I don't read anything more into it than that.

Old 09-05-2014, 09:54 PM

15,145 posts, read 14,325,824 times
RIP. A Piece of Work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fnojZw54ls

This documentary will be an eye opener for many who did not know her. She was a woman not to be taken lightly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities