Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2023, 08:57 AM

2,065 posts, read 1,003,799 times

Advertisements

Whitney Houston was my idol during childhood, I thought she was the prettiest woman in the world. Seeing how much she degraded herself into a literal crack head and dying in a bathtub drugged out of her mind was very upsetting to many, I'm sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2023, 09:20 AM

88,567 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
I haven't read the entire thread, but it was only around a year ago that I realized Whitney Houston died...in 2012. I'm not a newshound and may have heard it mentioned at the time, but never followed up on it. When I came across a Youtube video about her decline and death in a hotel bathtub I burst into tears. She was such a beautiful woman with an amazing voice, what a frickin' shame.

It makes me wonder why someone so privileged and talented would choose to f it up. Money is the root of all evil, etc...
That's funny, because when I read this thread, I thought about Whitney Houston. I liked her music, but I am never a huge fan of any celebrity to the point where I generally cry over them. However, I watched her funeral, particularly interested as she was a Jersey Girl, and at the end, when they said, "And now, The Voice, and started to play "I will always love you" as they wheeled the casket out of the church, I got teary. And then again as the hearse entered the town of Westfield where the cemetery is from the Garden State Parkway and the residents stood along the edges of the streets holding signs and throwing flowers. I thought of Cissy Houston sitting in the black car behind it and seeing all that love for her daughter.

Robin Williams's death saddened me greatly, too.

Old 12-29-2023, 09:20 AM

1,706 posts, read 1,150,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
I haven't read the entire thread, but it was only around a year ago that I realized Whitney Houston died...in 2012. I'm not a newshound and may have heard it mentioned at the time, but never followed up on it. When I came across a Youtube video about her decline and death in a hotel bathtub I burst into tears. She was such a beautiful woman with an amazing voice, what a frickin' shame.

It makes me wonder why someone so privileged and talented would choose to f it up. Money is the root of all evil, etc...
In her case it was her parasitic family members who caused most of her grief.

Sorry to say the knife in your back always comes from your inner circle.

Whitney should have retired early, worked through her issues, and enjoyed life.

Old 12-29-2023, 03:37 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,765,592 times
Don't know if I said this before. But, I felt "weird" when Michael Jackson died. I was never a fan but he was so ubiquitous and a huge part of pop culture when I was growing up that his death stunned me. Ditto George Michael, Prince, Olivia Newton John and David Bowie. I was shocked over Joe Strummer's death.

But, what really sobered me up was the death of Luis and Bob from Sesame Street. That hit me some way and made me feel so very, very old. And vulnerable.

Old 12-29-2023, 05:40 PM

22,844 posts, read 6,435,820 times
Felt sad over some deaths but never cried.

Old 12-29-2023, 06:27 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,315,642 times
I didn't cry, but Kobe Bryant's death really got to me. It was a Sunday and I didn't have much to do, so when the news broke, I was glued to ESPN watching the news and the tributes roll in. I'm not much of a basketball fan, but, as a dad of a pre-teen daughter, all of the talk of him being a proud girl dad and just knowing that he was with one of his daughters when they lost their lives just really conjured up some emotion. A tribute during an interview with Draymond Green (of all people) in the days after it happened was especially poignant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities