Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 09:47 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,602,856 times

Advertisements

Call it the ultimate whodunit twist: Michael Jackson did it.

As famed attorney Mark Geragos told E! News, a Jackson homicide trial in which Dr. Conrad Murray is the defendant may well turn into a forum in which Jackson himself is on trial.

Blame Michael Jackson, Not His Doctors! - E! Online
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2009, 10:04 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,483,331 times
They should both be held responsible. MJ is a grown adult and made his own decisions in life. The doctor/doctors though enabled him and likely provided drugs they were not allowed to access and certainly not allowed to administer in a home setting.

Old 08-19-2009, 10:08 PM

1,222 posts, read 3,831,329 times
Even though MJ was an addict and is responsible for his lifestyle, a doctor should never supply drugs that are not even available outside a hospital, for money. Also, I am sure everyone knows that most good doctors will not and should not prescribe narcotics over and over again, especially to an addict. I can't believe this fool Dr Murray put that lame video on Youtube. What a joke for the profession. He needs to be arrested.

Old 08-19-2009, 10:12 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,440,752 times
I don't care much for who Michael Jackson became but it seems clear that if he was abusing drugs as has been said, he had a chemical dependency problem which this doctor probably exploited for his own personal gain. YES, no one forced the pills down MJs throat however the law and the mental health community both recognize that when a person is in the state MJ seems to have been in, that is called diminished capacity.

I don't believe for one moment that MJ wanted to die, that the overdose was purposeful on his part. When you need medication, you turn to a doctor and hope they give you enough information to NOT end up dead. Apparently not so in this case. Maybe if MJ had not been addicted, he would have seen the medical advice for what it was. The wrong thing for him to do. BUT being chemically dependent coupled with emotional problems and medical problems made him an easy mark for this doctor. At least in my opinion.

This case has been compared to the death of Elvis. The doctor who loaded Elvis up on meds eventually lost his license permanently over shoveling pills into Elvis. A patient might be asking for alot of strong meds but the place of the doctor is FIRST do no harm. NOT be a yes man to someone who is addicted to the medication.

Old 08-19-2009, 10:26 PM

1,507 posts, read 3,133,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
I don't care much for who Michael Jackson became but it seems clear that if he was abusing drugs as has been said, he had a chemical dependency problem which this doctor probably exploited for his own personal gain. YES, no one forced the pills down MJs throat however the law and the mental health community both recognize that when a person is in the state MJ seems to have been in, that is called diminished capacity.

I don't believe for one moment that MJ wanted to die, that the overdose was purposeful on his part. When you need medication, you turn to a doctor and hope they give you enough information to NOT end up dead. Apparently not so in this case. Maybe if MJ had not been addicted, he would have seen the medical advice for what it was. The wrong thing for him to do. BUT being chemically dependent coupled with emotional problems and medical problems made him an easy mark for this doctor. At least in my opinion.

This case has been compared to the death of Elvis. The doctor who loaded Elvis up on meds eventually lost his license permanently over shoveling pills into Elvis. A patient might be asking for alot of strong meds but the place of the doctor is FIRST do no harm. NOT be a yes man to someone who is addicted to the medication.

Old 08-19-2009, 10:37 PM

5,319 posts, read 8,986,362 times
This is no different than doctors who go to jail for illegally prescribing drugs like oxycontin, which end up causing patients to die.

Murray should have been fully aware that the drug he gave MJ was not allowed to be given outside of a hospital.

It doesn't matter that MJ asked for the drug ... as a doctor, Murray should have flat out refused.

And Murray should be held fully accountable for his actions, and should go to jail for 2nd degree manslaughter.

Old 08-20-2009, 11:40 AM

1,914 posts, read 7,149,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post
This is no different than doctors who go to jail for illegally prescribing drugs like oxycontin, which end up causing patients to die.

Murray should have been fully aware that the drug he gave MJ was not allowed to be given outside of a hospital.

It doesn't matter that MJ asked for the drug ... as a doctor, Murray should have flat out refused.

And Murray should be held fully accountable for his actions, and should go to jail for 2nd degree manslaughter.
I agree with you completely. Plus all these "legal" narcotics are so easy to get and get hooked on! I know I was THISCLOSE to getting "dependent" on Vicodin after my last CSection and found it incredibly easy to get a script from dentists, doctors, etc. Granted, I was in pain and techinically I did need it, but looking back I am amazed at how easy it was to obtain.

Old 08-20-2009, 02:47 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,193,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTR36 View Post
I agree with you completely. Plus all these "legal" narcotics are so easy to get and get hooked on! I know I was THISCLOSE to getting "dependent" on Vicodin after my last CSection and found it incredibly easy to get a script from dentists, doctors, etc. Granted, I was in pain and techinically I did need it, but looking back I am amazed at how easy it was to obtain.
I had a pile of Vicodin prescribed to me after some dental surgery a few years ago. IF I hadn't taken the initiative to tell myself I HAD to quit or else I would end up with a problem, it is no telling how long I could've gotten the pills. Doctors really need to be careful because some people don't have a strong will power or the sense to realize they are in trouble.

Drugs given by a doctor are just as serious as when a person buys them off of the street.

(I did want to add that they sure were fun taking until I started feeling guilty. )

Old 08-20-2009, 06:12 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,483,331 times
Yes, all doctors involved in knowingly supplying MJ with illegal drugs or drugs under different names should be tried and convicted. These doctors that get caught up with this famous people are addicted themselves except they are addicted to the fame. They ride their coat tails, take their money, give them whatever they want and hope to have some of that same spill over on themselves.

Old 08-20-2009, 09:54 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,473,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
YES, no one forced the pills down MJs throat however the law and the mental health community both recognize that when a person is in the state MJ seems to have been in, that is called diminished capacity.

BUT being chemically dependent coupled with emotional problems and medical problems made him an easy mark for this doctor.

A patient might be asking for alot of strong meds but the place of the doctor is FIRST do no harm. NOT be a yes man to someone who is addicted to the medication.
Can there be any argument against this? Extremely well put. We are, in fact, our brother's keeper; to care for those who are less than capable.

Doctors should be held to a much higher standard than, let's say, your local street dealer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities