Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2010, 10:48 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,519,931 times

Advertisements

YouTube - Is Tom Hanks Unhinged?
At least that's how he makes it sound for both WW2 and the current war. Japan attacking Pearl Harbor as Japanese diplomats engage the US in peace negotiations had nothing to do with WW2. Only that America was racist.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2010, 11:04 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,901,626 times
Where to even begin.

1. "Very few people watch 'left-wing media outlets'. Does Bill O'Reilly actually think his viewership believes that other channels exist, and are financed by advertisers who just broadcast to the empty airwaves? Seriously? That is surely an insult to the intelligence and logic of conservatives.

2. Does Bill O'Reilly think that his viewership don't know how to use the internet? Because the alleged quote from Tom Hanks is easily searchable, since BO has so conveniently offered up his source. The entire article is available here

3. Even if you only read the very narrow portion that BO quoted, Tom Hanks didn't call americans racist nor claim that the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor because America was racist. At best, he calls both sides racist and says that both sides wanted to attack each other because the other was different:

Quote:
And he is pleased that The Pacific has fulfilled an obligation to our World War II vets. He doesn't see the series as simply eye-opening history. He hopes it offers Americans a chance to ponder the sacrifices of our current soldiers in Iraq and Afghanistan. "From the outset, we wanted to make people wonder how our troops can re-enter society in the first place," Hanks says. "How could they just pick up their lives and get on with the rest of us? Back in World War II, we viewed the Japanese as 'yellow, slant-eyed dogs' that believed in different gods. They were out to kill us because our way of living was different. We, in turn, wanted to annihilate them because they were different. Does that sound familiar, by any chance, to what's going on today?"

There's no such thing as a definitive history. But what was once a passing interest for Hanks has become an obsession. He's a man on a mission to make our back pages come alive, to keep overhauling the history we know and, in the process, get us to understand not just the past but the choices we make today.
4. And finally, if you actually take the time to read the entire article, you will see that what Hanks is talking about is the mentality of war and how different it is from the mentality of peacetime, or even the mentality stateside when a war is going on abroad. And advocating for better understanding, sympathy, and treatment of Post-traumatic stress disorder.

Old 03-17-2010, 07:01 AM

10,793 posts, read 13,540,977 times
TO WORDS. BATAAN DEATH MARCH. Look it up.....

Hanks is a liberal idiot!!

Was it racism that made us re-build their country after we gave them the Atomic smack down?? We didn't have to!

Was it racism that made the Japanese soldiers rape and pillage the islands they occupied?? Whare they cut off the ears of women???

Was it racism that had us friends and allies with China (oh my!! Other Asian people) against the Japanese!!????

In every army there are all kinds of people! Some good and some bad. We had white soldiers calling my kin folk ni**ers! We had separate blak tank brigades et etc etc.....

But to blankedly categorized our country's motivation with this cloud of "racism" is dishonest revisionist history!

SNEAK ATTACK (another two words to look at) ........don't judge our grandparents for what they were put through. This was new to them and they made the tuff choice for the internment camps. I think they did the right thing for that time. Would we have won the war if we didn't? Who knows?? Everybody's a Monday morning Quarterback.

Old 03-17-2010, 09:28 AM

4,796 posts, read 22,901,626 times
Quote:
don't judge our grandparents for what they were put through.
That is exactly TH's point. If you bother to read it.

Old 03-17-2010, 01:42 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,217,194 times
yeah - reading is difficult - thank god there is a bill o'reilly out there to do it for me..............

He's talking about how it must be challenging to re-enter society, shifting that mindset from war to peace

this is something that is a very serious issue right now

and yes - there are/were racial undertones on both sides ..... there was no shortage of slurs, etc

I can't imagine how difficult it is to line up and go out and kill people - i imagine there are quite a few who can help justify it by focusing on the differences between you and your enemy - i know many soldiers who get real contemplative and quiet when they discuss the similarities (fighting men serving their countries with families, kids, etc at home)

it was part of our history and part of the times - internment camps and things of that nature were very real and definitely racially driven

by accepting this as part of the history it doesn't mean you are condemning - it's just giving a full picture

and with all history it's interesting to compare it to modern times

Old 03-17-2010, 05:28 PM

10,028 posts, read 9,502,237 times
Why in hell does anyone give a cr@p what Hanks opinion is? He is just one person of 300 million in America. I mean really, because he makes films makes his opinion any more important than anyone elses?

Last edited by VLWH; 03-17-2010 at 05:40 PM..

Old 03-19-2010, 09:20 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,168,388 times
He is one of my favorite actors.....but I think when it comes to some of his political views....he spent way too much time alone on that island talking to a basketball.

Old 03-20-2010, 07:05 AM

18,287 posts, read 23,182,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
He is one of my favorite actors.....but I think when it comes to some of his political views....he spent way too much time alone on that island talking to a basketball.
Psssst it was a volleyball.

I don't fall for the "I'm famous in acting so I know all and see all" I do my own reading & deciding.

Old 03-21-2010, 04:04 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,013,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
Where to even begin.

The entire article is available here

4. And finally, if you actually take the time to read the entire article, you will see that what Hanks is talking about is the mentality of war and how different it is from the mentality of peacetime, or even the mentality stateside when a war is going on abroad.
YES.
READ THE ARTICLE, PEOPLE.

I have now lost the few last grudging crumbs of respect I once had for Bill O' Reilly.
He took it *so* out of context!
I suppose he is trolling Hanks, needling him, trying to get the guy to come on his show. Perhaps BO is the one coming unhinged.

Old 03-23-2010, 01:23 PM

8,176 posts, read 18,532,809 times
Don't care...he's just an actor.
Someone who's paid to entertain me.

I don't have to like his political views. Good think I don't care what they are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities