Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 01:20 PM

7 posts, read 21,443 times

Advertisements

I am a loyal Verizon customer. Due to our family all having Verizon I will not be switching. My current phone is dying. Battery life is getting shorter and shorter, end button doesn't always work etc. I keep hearing Verizon is getting the iPhone in June/July.???? If that is the case I will wait it out so I can get the iPhone. Otherwise I am going in and picking up a Crackberry. Does anyone know if the rumors are true?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2010, 07:11 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,146,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernKD View Post
I am a loyal Verizon customer. Due to our family all having Verizon I will not be switching. My current phone is dying. Battery life is getting shorter and shorter, end button doesn't always work etc. I keep hearing Verizon is getting the iPhone in June/July.???? If that is the case I will wait it out so I can get the iPhone. Otherwise I am going in and picking up a Crackberry. Does anyone know if the rumors are true?
Lots of rumors flying around but none confirmed yet. Make sure you go into a store to check all the phones. They have the Android's, Palm's, and Blackberry's. New phones come out all the time so play around with them before making a decision. If you decide on something, my suggestion is to go the www.verizonwireless.com online site to make the purchase. You get the rebates immediately this way. If you purchase in store, alot of times you have to mail the card to receive the rebate (refund).

Old 03-23-2010, 04:52 AM

7 posts, read 21,443 times
Still nothing confirmed....that is what I thought. I had heard they thought when Apple released the news about the iPad they would announce a Verizon union but that didn't happen. Now I am wondering if that is even a possibility. You know once I get something they are going to release the iPhone there. 30 days after I pick up something else!

Old 03-31-2010, 10:38 AM

It was announced on the news today that Verizon and Apple have come to terms. No release date set yet though.

Old 03-31-2010, 12:31 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,889,276 times
The "rumor" (currently) is that production of a Verizon-compatible iPhone will be around September of this year. However, last I heard, AT&T exclusive agreement lasted through the end of the year, so it would be Jan 1, 2011 before anything would officially be sold by Verizon if all of this is true. The new iPhone you heard rumored for this Summer is an update of the current one and will be sold through AT&T.

Old 03-31-2010, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
The "rumor" (currently) is that production of a Verizon-compatible iPhone will be around September of this year. However, last I heard, AT&T exclusive agreement lasted through the end of the year, so it would be Jan 1, 2011 before anything would officially be sold by Verizon if all of this is true. The new iPhone you heard rumored for this Summer is an update of the current one and will be sold through AT&T.
Apple has an opt-out clause. The IPhone would be on the CDMA network as opposed to the GSM so it could work with Verizon. My guess considering I just heard it early this morning, i'd expect something by around June 1 (this is my estimate, I haven't heard a specific date yet).

Old 03-31-2010, 04:13 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,683,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernKD View Post
Not in 2010 it won''t be, sorry.

AppleInsider | Verizon iPhone seen as 'unlikely' from Apple in 2010

Old 03-31-2010, 04:34 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,053,483 times
I went to the Apple store a few weeks ago, and my iPhone 3G-S has been giving me some trouble lately, so I wanted to replace it. He told me that I could use my upgrade right now and waste it, or I can wait until June for the new iPhone to come out. He said that they're making it for AT&T.

I think possibility for Verizon getting the iPhone is very high actually, it's 80-90 million people that Apple can attract in Verizon. But I don't think it's happening for a while now. At least not in 2010.

AT&T added the clause with Apple that they can renew their contract when it ends to the highest payer, and AT&T will go lengths to pay for the iPhone, because they haven't signed with an Android phone to state their loyalty to Apple. However, in recent talks I have heard that they will be getting their first Android phone soon. AT&T can also negotiate with Apple and Verizon to let both carriers have the iPhone, seeing how Verizon is CDMA and AT&T is GSM and are on different frequencies.

It's looking pretty good for AT&T, Verizon, and Apple. It'll just take some a while longer.

Old 03-31-2010, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
I went to the Apple store a few weeks ago, and my iPhone 3G-S has been giving me some trouble lately, so I wanted to replace it. He told me that I could use my upgrade right now and waste it, or I can wait until June for the new iPhone to come out. He said that they're making it for AT&T.

I think possibility for Verizon getting the iPhone is very high actually, it's 80-90 million people that Apple can attract in Verizon. But I don't think it's happening for a while now. At least not in 2010.

AT&T added the clause with Apple that they can renew their contract when it ends to the highest payer, and AT&T will go lengths to pay for the iPhone, because they haven't signed with an Android phone to state their loyalty to Apple. However, in recent talks I have heard that they will be getting their first Android phone soon. AT&T can also negotiate with Apple and Verizon to let both carriers have the iPhone, seeing how Verizon is CDMA and AT&T is GSM and are on different frequencies.

It's looking pretty good for AT&T, Verizon, and Apple. It'll just take some a while longer.
It just makes it better for the consumer. The more companies that have the same phone, means the lower the price when people comparison shop. AT&T is in trouble though. The IPhone was their bread and butter,now what? Their network doesn't compare and they're charging the same rates as Verizon.

Old 04-01-2010, 12:36 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,053,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
It just makes it better for the consumer. The more companies that have the same phone, means the lower the price when people comparison shop. AT&T is in trouble though. The IPhone was their bread and butter,now what? Their network doesn't compare and they're charging the same rates as Verizon.
Yes, initially what Apple and AT&T wanted was to monopolize the company, and it was well over working wonders for them, but there came a HUGE set back 14 months after the iPhone's release. They NEVER anticipated Google to join the race. Google saw that Apple was exclusively with only AT&T and cut a vast majority of the people off from getting "a very modern and trendy phone that BBM and Windows Mobile couldn't make at that time".

So Android (Google) came out for T-Mobile to compete with Apple and AT&T, and they took their opportunity to get more costumers by going to Sprint (Hero- 2nd Android phone released even before MyTouch) and then Verizon. Meaning AT&T would be the only one left out.

AT&T saw that, and made a deal with Android, and there will be Android phones coming out for AT&T really soon. Apple also saw this as an opportunity to expand it's base, so it will for sure 100% be staying with AT&T (to convert more T-Mobile costumers from GSM) and also is heavily negotiating with Verizon (To heavily convert Sprint costumer base for CDMA's).

It's going to get interesting now!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones