Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2010, 09:04 AM

1,150 posts, read 2,699,806 times

Advertisements

Just curious. Do most smartphone users have a broadband connection?

Do smartphone users shop retail online with their smartphone?

Wouldn't it suck browsing the net with such a teeny tiny screen to look at?

Am I missing something? I have no interest in smartphones and intend to avoid 'em like a plague!

Thanks in advance for any responses posted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2010, 01:28 PM

939 posts, read 3,386,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by POhdNcrzy View Post
Just curious. Do most smartphone users have a broadband connection?
I'd say most do. I just did this speedtest on my phone:

It's fast enough for me.

Quote:
Do smartphone users shop retail online with their smartphone?
I'd say most don't shop online with their smartphone. At least I don't.

Quote:
Wouldn't it suck browsing the net with such a teeny tiny screen to look at?
I used to think the same thing till I first played around with someone elses phone. Many websites have mobile versions of their site which makes it a much more pleasant experience for those with smartphones. I bought mine because having immediate email access is helpful for my business. It also gives me something to do when I'm on the train and don't have a book with me.

Quote:
Am I missing something? I have no interest in smartphones and intend to avoid 'em like a plague!

Thanks in advance for any responses posted.
I feel the same way about Facebook and Twitter and avoid them like the plague too. But most everyone I know has a FB page including my 94 yo great grandmother.

Smartphones aren't for everyone.

Old 10-27-2010, 08:20 PM

1,150 posts, read 2,699,806 times
GVillager, thanks so much! Your info really was helpful to me. BTW, I checked my own speed on that website and it was 17mb down, 9mb up, wow, I didn't know my speed was so darn fast, that's cool, I have cable internet. I went down to the local library and their broadband connection does about 2.75mb down, 1.5mb up. I'm curious, is your mobile phone connection speed on the slowish end, middle-of-the-road, or on the faster end compared to most mobile phone/palm device users? I'm guessing your speed is in the middle of the range that most of those users get. Anyone else wanna chime in please do. I know, I know, not the most exciting topic, lol.

Old 10-28-2010, 08:15 PM

Quote:
GVillager, thanks so much! Your info really was helpful to me. BTW, I checked my own speed on that website and it was 17mb down, 9mb up, wow, I didn't know my speed was so darn fast, that's cool, I have cable internet. I went down to the local library and their broadband connection does about 2.75mb down, 1.5mb up. I'm curious, is your mobile phone connection speed on the slowish end, middle-of-the-road, or on the faster end compared to most mobile phone/palm device users? I'm guessing your speed is in the middle of the range that most of those users get. Anyone else wanna chime in please do. I know, I know, not the most exciting topic, lol.
My speeds are generally in the low to mid range when it comes to mobile broadband. However, we are moving into the next generation (4G) of mobile speeds. Sprint is using a technology called Wimax which provides average speeds between 3-6mb. Starting next month Verizon is launching their 4G network that will use Long Term Evolution (LTE) that will reportedly provide speeds of 5-12mb. 17mb is pretty decent for a cable modem and more than 1,000 times faster then the dialup modems we were using 15 years ago.

Old 10-28-2010, 08:37 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times
Wow. Remember dial-up? That "noise" at start up....who could stand dial up now...

Old 10-28-2010, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Wow. Remember dial-up? That "noise" at start up....who could stand dial up now...

Wow, it's been years since I heard that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones