Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 12:51 PM

4,477 posts, read 3,847,143 times

Advertisements

So I am perplexed.

Up until 2011, everything I ever owned was a Dell or Samsung and ran Windows. Then I used an iPad for the first time and was blown away by the Apple OS. So I went out and bought an iPad, Iphone and MacBook. All of these items are at least 2 years old and have had zero problems and even though they are 2 years old, they are AMAZING pieces of technology.

Now people are acting as though the iPhone 5 is a failure b/c it wasn't "wow-y" enough. It seems to me, that most of the devices out there now, from the Samsung Note to the Lumia, to the iPhone, are all pretty FREAKING AMAZING, and any new improvments will just be minor at this point. I guess people are expecting Apple (or Samsung or Google, etc.) to come out with a device that actually reaches up and gives you a massage, picks up your dry cleaning and settles your lawsuits for you?

What more can we expect? We are already blessed with amazing technology coming from every nook and cranny of the planet.

Why bash Apple because its new phone won't give you a **** job??????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2012, 01:09 PM

6,474 posts, read 10,343,886 times
People like to complain even if there is no real reason. Sad, but true. We live in a "microwave generation". I want it now and faster than yesterday.

Old 09-14-2012, 04:29 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,273,323 times
I don't think the phone is a failure, I just think its not a win, or a slam dunk for Apple like it used to be.

It is just a phone. It is a good phone, and it works well. And for some people that's a failure.

You can say that about many other "creative" things, if boundaries aren't being pushed, then what's the point?

I cannot believe some of the things my phone can do; however, we do tend to take things like this for granted.

But when you are into something you tend to magnify the details and have a certain level of expectations, and when they aren't met, then it's no surprise disappointment follows.

That being said, it looks as though the iPhone is still selling and (for whatever reason) will continue to sell like hotcakes. So really OP you're lashing out at a minority.

Old 09-14-2012, 05:33 PM

485 posts, read 1,011,881 times
I don't think it's a minority. Most of the major media, like NYT, WSJ, Wash Post etc. are calling it "dull", "boring", "disappointing". And most of the people on the Internet boards are like, "ho hum".

The iPhone 5 is Boring and Amazing | Gadget Lab | Wired.com

People really need to re-asses their expectations. Like OP said, short of having a device that can feed your cat for you, there's only so much they can do to improve ANY smartphone.

Old 09-14-2012, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by planedition View Post
I don't think it's a minority. Most of the major media, like NYT, WSJ, Wash Post etc. are calling it "dull", "boring", "disappointing". And most of the people on the Internet boards are like, "ho hum".

The iPhone 5 is Boring and Amazing | Gadget Lab | Wired.com

People really need to re-asses their expectations. Like OP said, short of having a device that can feed your cat for you, there's only so much they can do to improve ANY smartphone.
But even though there are a few outlets (a vocal minority) and people saying its boring (which I'd agree with) a lot more people will still buy it. Heck even those that say its boring might buy it... because it works.

Joe schmoes, the ones buying iPhones, buy them because they are relatively simple and their friends and family have them.

Techonerds like us (the ones that are vocal on forums and writing reviews) are the minority.

Old 09-14-2012, 11:36 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
I think Apple is just trying to catch up with Samsung with this phone. Cathing up is not what people expect from a new IPhone. They expect pulling ahead. I do not see any pulling ahead with this phone and in some ways they did not even catch up. When you are expecting soemthing amazing and you get something common, it is disappointing.

Old 09-15-2012, 08:31 AM

4,477 posts, read 3,847,143 times
How much more amazing can a smartphone possibly get? This is a serious question. People are freaking NUTS if they think a smartphone can get any more amazing than it already is. I am referring to Samsung, iPhone, basically any of the hi-level smartphones out there.

I want someone to tell me what "amazing" feature they could possibly invent that would make a smartphone "amazing". Wireless charging? You still need to plug the thing in. And that is not really an "amazing" feature.

Again, when they invent a smartphone that can give me a pedicure, you let me know. Now THAT would be an amazing feature.

Old 09-15-2012, 09:25 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,273,184 times
Apple is riding the wave and there is nothing wrong with it.

The buyers they are catering to now are the ones that were unable to get in before (cost, technology type and other factors) and legacy owners that are renewing contracts from the 4.
Are there going to be defectors? Of course there are, but the dent in overall sales will not be seen now. Actually htis will probably be the best selling iPhone yet.
However if Apple continues this trend for the next 3-5 years, it could be more noticeable and IMHO the cut will be deep because now they have set precedent. This is a competitive market and a billion dollar market. You can bet that millions of dollars are being poured into grabbing that mind share and data.

I think what we are going to see is that its ok to not want to have the latest iPhone and I think Apple is wise to their levels of success and maturity.
I fear that the pace of competitive innovation might lap them, but am sure they have something in their back pocket. This is just what happens when you are at the top and everyone is trying to dethrone you.

Old 09-15-2012, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
How much more amazing can a smartphone possibly get? This is a serious question. People are freaking NUTS if they think a smartphone can get any more amazing than it already is. I am referring to Samsung, iPhone, basically any of the hi-level smartphones out there.

I want someone to tell me what "amazing" feature they could possibly invent that would make a smartphone "amazing". Wireless charging? You still need to plug the thing in. And that is not really an "amazing" feature.

Again, when they invent a smartphone that can give me a pedicure, you let me know. Now THAT would be an amazing feature.
Smartphones are amazing but they still can be novel and exciting or include features that are novel and exciting. I refuse to believe that "everything" has been done. Sure, there are limits to technology, but I think the "tweaks" have to be sold the right way.

Jobs could package something like Siri and make it seem like the second coming.

Apple has set themselves up as the bringers of innovation (in the realm of the iPhone) and when they tweak a design it isn't as exciting as when they re-design or come out with something completely new.

Old 09-15-2012, 03:12 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,420,628 times
I don't call a phone that sells out in one hour and back order weeks out a disappointment or failure.

I bought a EVO LTE a few months ago. It's a amazing phone but Sprint data is so slow I can no longer keep them. Yesterday morning, I called
All 3 carriers to find out that I would be waiting the 2nd shipping round for a iPhone 5 so I decided to wait. Now they are back order 3 weeks out for October 5 today.

If you call that a failure, I would love to see what you consider a winner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones