Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 11:37 AM

161 posts, read 304,742 times

Advertisements

It's unbelievable. Wherever I go people always have them shoved in their faces. I go out to dinner with my family the next family over has their cell phones out and are looking into them. And every other commercial I see is a cell phone commercial. I see people texting and driving which is totally unacceptable because you're risking your life doing that. Cell phones are fine when you need them to talk. I don't understand why you need to text, go on the internet, use games on it when you're out doing things. Not sure the answers I am going to get because I am asking this in the technology section. Why are people so addicted? Why don't they understand they have a problem? Btw I am not hating on cell phones. I just want to know why people use them as much as they do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2012, 11:44 AM

6,491 posts, read 10,375,377 times
I just can't understand why they have those big metal birds that fly, my mistake I meant to say "airplanes". How about that new-fangled thing called "Electricity" ?

My point is even if you think that cell phones are silly, the rest of the world feels differently. You need to pick and choose your battles more carefully. Cell phones are the latest, greatest thing that most people crave and want.

Old 08-28-2012, 11:48 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,212,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ny1964 View Post
It's unbelievable. Wherever I go people always have them shoved in their faces. I go out to dinner with my family the next family over has their cell phones out and are looking into them. And every other commercial I see is a cell phone commercial. I see people texting and driving which is totally unacceptable because you're risking your life doing that. Cell phones are fine when you need them to talk. I don't understand why you need to text, go on the internet, use games on it when you're out doing things. Not sure the answers I am going to get because I am asking this in the technology section. Why are people so addicted? Why don't they understand they have a problem? Btw I am not hating on cell phones. I just want to know why people use them as much as they do.
Most people are driven nuts by the sound of their own wheels. Cell phones jam that noise.

Old 08-28-2012, 11:49 AM

@dontaskwhy. I never have doubted how great cell phones are. Just want to know why people are so addicted to them. You haven't noticed that? There turning people into robots.

Old 08-28-2012, 11:51 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,296,816 times
Instant gratification and entertainment while around other humans that you do not want to interact with.

Old 08-28-2012, 11:53 AM

6,491 posts, read 10,375,377 times
Quote:
@dontaskwhy. I never have doubted how great cell phones are. Just want to know why people are so addicted to them. You haven't noticed that? There turning people into robots.
To each their own. Just because someone may not care for something, it doesn't make it necessarily right or wrong. I do agree that cell phones or becoming a larger part of many people's lives and that it is getting harder to separate from them in today's society.

Old 08-28-2012, 11:58 AM

5,333 posts, read 8,555,056 times
Most people cannot tolerate feelings of boredom, restlessness, loneliness, etc, even in very small doses. When they feel these things, there is an urge to somehow get rid of the feeling. If you think about it, a smart phone appears to be a perfect solution - it allows a person to be distracted from any negative feelings (games, surf the net, etc) and also allows them to feel like they are connected to other people - read/post on Facebook, text, email, or actually speak on the phone. So it helps a person escape from a broad range of subtle unpleasant emotions. They can carry it with them at all times, so "relief" is available at any moment.

In addition, there are all of the fun things about a cel phone - humans like to laugh, play games, and communicate with each other, and they can do all of those things with this very small device.

When you look at it from this angle, it isn't any mystery as to why so many people appear addicted to their cel/smart phones.

Old 08-28-2012, 03:46 PM

3,004 posts, read 6,280,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
Most people cannot tolerate feelings of boredom, restlessness, loneliness, etc, even in very small doses. When they feel these things, there is an urge to somehow get rid of the feeling. If you think about it, a smart phone appears to be a perfect solution - it allows a person to be distracted from any negative feelings (games, surf the net, etc) and also allows them to feel like they are connected to other people - read/post on Facebook, text, email, or actually speak on the phone. So it helps a person escape from a broad range of subtle unpleasant emotions. They can carry it with them at all times, so "relief" is available at any moment.

In addition, there are all of the fun things about a cel phone - humans like to laugh, play games, and communicate with each other, and they can do all of those things with this very small device.

When you look at it from this angle, it isn't any mystery as to why so many people appear addicted to their cel/smart phones.

Cell phones (even more now with the extension of social media) are just byproducts of our social connectivity.

Girls (teens) always talked on the phone; the picture of them laying down on their beds, twirling their hair and gabbing away on non-sense. Well when you grow up it doesn't change women and men still gossip, and when the phone is right there, all of the time, it's no wonder.

I'm a man, yet use the phone to look up stuff, to read texts and facebook, instagram (out of boredom) and especially look up things on the internet. I'm addicted to learning and my phone provides me with contemporary knowledge. To not be connected doesn't scare me, but it makes finding information so much more easy.

I'm sure it's been said before but cell phones kinda took place of cigarettes for a lot of people, making it normal to look down at a phone instead of in a book or lost in your own thoughts.

Scrolling on Facebook is like taking a drag.

Old 08-28-2012, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harhar View Post
Cell phones (even more now with the extension of social media) are just byproducts of our social connectivity.

Girls (teens) always talked on the phone; the picture of them laying down on their beds, twirling their hair and gabbing away on non-sense. Well when you grow up it doesn't change women and men still gossip, and when the phone is right there, all of the time, it's no wonder.

I'm a man, yet use the phone to look up stuff, to read texts and facebook, instagram (out of boredom) and especially look up things on the internet. I'm addicted to learning and my phone provides me with contemporary knowledge. To not be connected doesn't scare me, but it makes finding information so much more easy.

I'm sure it's been said before but cell phones kinda took place of cigarettes for a lot of people, making it normal to look down at a phone instead of in a book or lost in your own thoughts.

Scrolling on Facebook is like taking a drag.
You sir make me sick. You made me throw up in my mouth. I thought it was only the kids now that I am aware many adults do it to I am appalled.

Old 08-28-2012, 04:49 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,695,144 times
Quote:
I don't think that you really mean "cell phone".

I think you mean "smart phone" which is a device that does so many operations that a simple cell phone can't do. That is why these devices are constantly in hands of their owners.

Me? I wouldn't own a smart phone if they gave one of the damn things for free and they have tried. I'll take a simple phone that is only set up to talk on and nothing else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones