Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 05:28 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,204,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ny1964 View Post
You sir make me sick. You made me throw up in my mouth. I thought it was only the kids now that I am aware many adults do it to I am appalled.
If this is how you respond to his comment then I see why people would be glued to their cell phone when you are around. There are far more troubling things going on in the world then people on their phones and quite frankly there's nothing you can do to change this. So my advice is to get over it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2012, 05:47 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,811,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ny1964 View Post
You sir make me sick. You made me throw up in my mouth. I thought it was only the kids now that I am aware many adults do it to I am appalled.
That was extremely rude and uncalled for. And this is coming from an old curmudgeon who happens to love her iPhone, but keeps it in her purse most of the time.

Old 08-28-2012, 05:51 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,129,823 times
Cell phones and smart phones are an addiction. A teacher I know has all of their cells on the front of the room. Whenever a phone goes off, several students jump and then realize they are not going to be able to feed their addiction.

Even worse, people get killed typing in numbers or texting while driving. Oftentimes, they are sitting at a green light and I have to honk at them. Just a few weeks ago, a lady was texting and drove off the road, rolling twice and killer her.

What I don't get is why it takes so long for cities and towns to ban the use of cells while driving.

A long time ago when I was taking a defensive driving glass, the instructor hammered into us the fact that people are distracted, and that covers a whole bunch of reason that that is the case. It goes from sleeping while driving to cell phone use and everything in between.

Old 08-28-2012, 06:02 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,364,112 times
Since I love to stereotype, there are two groups I've notice that are the worst offenders:
1) Women
2) Italians

It is ILLEGAL to speak into a cell phone when hand held and this law is flouted repeatedly by suburban women in minivans or SUVs. You've all heard the expression "they just can't shut up."

The Italians are obnoxious. Their country is in bad shape, economically. Gas is about $7 a gallon, right now. Yet, somehow, they find the money to buy those phone minutes. They are always talking on their phones.

Old 08-28-2012, 06:27 PM

23,592 posts, read 70,383,686 times
LOL! I was an early adopter of cell phones at the time they were bricks. I elected to have mine as a car phone. Why did I do it? I was on call 24/7 and typcially stuck in traffic on I-95 in Miami, when one of the self-absorbed bozo assistant managers would decide to panic and call my pager with a 911 page, causing me to have to get off the interstate, try to find a pay phone in such lovely spots as Liberty City, only to find out the call was because he ran out of toilet paper. (I am NOT kidding...) The way the company worked, these doofuses could (and did) complain if their pages weren't promptly responded to.

So... for me, a cellphone is a great way for idiots and telemarketers to make your life exciting and miserable. As time went on, and that company was sold, I went with smaller phones, and now have a limited phone that allows ME to call out, yet remains OFF most of the time. Typically, I buy a $10 recharge that lasts 120 days and use about $3 of that amount.

For parents with kids who have wanderlust, cellphones may be great. For those in business who need to make snap decisions, they may be important. For me, not so much. BTDT, like to experience life as it comes.

Old 08-28-2012, 07:01 PM

161 posts, read 304,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes View Post
I don't think that you really mean "cell phone".

I think you mean "smart phone" which is a device that does so many operations that a simple cell phone can't do. That is why these devices are constantly in hands of their owners.

Me? I wouldn't own a smart phone if they gave one of the damn things for free and they have tried. I'll take a simple phone that is only set up to talk on and nothing else.

Thanks, this makes me feel better. I don't want a smartphone and neither do my kids.

Old 08-28-2012, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
If this is how you respond to his comment then I see why people would be glued to their cell phone when you are around. There are far more troubling things going on in the world then people on their phones and quite frankly there's nothing you can do to change this. So my advice is to get over it.
Yes, and when they get into a car accident because of it no remorse.

Old 08-28-2012, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.Pearson View Post
Cell phones and smart phones are an addiction. A teacher I know has all of their cells on the front of the room. Whenever a phone goes off, several students jump and then realize they are not going to be able to feed their addiction.

Even worse, people get killed typing in numbers or texting while driving. Oftentimes, they are sitting at a green light and I have to honk at them. Just a few weeks ago, a lady was texting and drove off the road, rolling twice and killer her.

What I don't get is why it takes so long for cities and towns to ban the use of cells while driving.

A long time ago when I was taking a defensive driving glass, the instructor hammered into us the fact that people are distracted, and that covers a whole bunch of reason that that is the case. It goes from sleeping while driving to cell phone use and everything in between.
Agreed.

Old 08-28-2012, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie2101 View Post
That was extremely rude and uncalled for. And this is coming from an old curmudgeon who happens to love her iPhone, but keeps it in her purse most of the time.
You're even worse than him. You mean to tell me that you care more about today's death technogy then you do growing up as a child. Hm you don't miss the old days now do you. You're just trying to fit in with this younger crowd. I bet you'll call this honest comment rude as well.

Old 08-28-2012, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Since I love to stereotype, there are two groups I've notice that are the worst offenders:
1) Women
2) Italians

It is ILLEGAL to speak into a cell phone when hand held and this law is flouted repeatedly by suburban women in minivans or SUVs. You've all heard the expression "they just can't shut up."

The Italians are obnoxious. Their country is in bad shape, economically. Gas is about $7 a gallon, right now. Yet, somehow, they find the money to buy those phone minutes. They are always talking on their phones.
Ha. This is why I show no remorse when someone is killed when texting and driving. This made me laugh thanks allot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones