Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2013, 07:48 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times

Advertisements

I have an android (Samsung Galaxy Note) with google navigation (AT&T, 4G LTE) and I drive home from work on the 405 south from John Wayne Airport (SNA) in Orange County, CA

For some reason, my android ALWAYS shows gray (not green or yellow or red) on the section of the 405 from about where I get on to about Sand Canyon about five miles south. Gray as in no traffic data.

The traffic information is there on google maps and sigalert (which by the way just came out with a nice android application) but not on Google Navigation.

There is no reason I can think of why that stretch of freeway is always gray.

Anyone else notice this or something similar?

Weird.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2013, 08:36 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,276,114 times
Charles,

Its a numbers game in how the data is collected generally speaking. Navigation is exclusive to Android users. I can't specifically to that area you are having issues, but Maps and Navigation use different methods of capturing the crowd sourced GPS data.

If Google doesn't have enough data and to meet itrs quota to give info, you will get that gray area on the navi app.

I can't remember if there are dead spots or freeway split offs in that area. But my guess is that there is topographical interference with GPS satellites.
Have you traveled this freeway during non work hours when its less congested? Network congestion or towers serving the area could also impact it.

Old 04-12-2013, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoov_groovzsd View Post
Charles,

Its a numbers game in how the data is collected generally speaking. Navigation is exclusive to Android users. I can't specifically to that area you are having issues, but Maps and Navigation use different methods of capturing the crowd sourced GPS data.

If Google doesn't have enough data and to meet itrs quota to give info, you will get that gray area on the navi app.

I can't remember if there are dead spots or freeway split offs in that area. But my guess is that there is topographical interference with GPS satellites.
Have you traveled this freeway during non work hours when its less congested? Network congestion or towers serving the area could also impact it.
Didn't know that google and navigation would get their data from different sources - I would think it would be the same??? They're both google, right?

Yes, this morning (at 630 AM), I checked again heading to work. The same area is gray so it just isn't PM. The area is wide open and there is no topographic or traffic density reason why that area is gray. I just now checked it too, 1PM local time on a Friday. Still gray. It's constant. The same exact area every time. Very, very strange.

Try it yourself, try navigating from wherever you are now to the south side of SNA (or to SNA if you are south of SNA). Here is the stretch I am writing about:

John Wayne Airport Thomas F. Riley Terminal to I-405 S - Google Maps

Old 04-12-2013, 04:50 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,276,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Didn't know that google and navigation would get their data from different sources - I would think it would be the same??? They're both google, right?

Yes, this morning (at 630 AM), I checked again heading to work. The same area is gray so it just isn't PM. The area is wide open and there is no topographic or traffic density reason why that area is gray. I just now checked it too, 1PM local time on a Friday. Still gray. It's constant. The same exact area every time. Very, very strange.

Try it yourself, try navigating from wherever you are now to the south side of SNA (or to SNA if you are south of SNA). Here is the stretch I am writing about:

John Wayne Airport Thomas F. Riley Terminal to I-405 S - Google Maps
Ok so I am confused. You said google maps was working but the navigation app was not for that area correct? Or are you talking about the web version of Google Maps from your PC or the app on your phone?

Yes in some instances they will pull from different sources. A lot of it is techno babel on the back end of which I wont get into. Long story short, iPhone users and Android users have access to Google Maps and the data is given is only from people that have GPS on (called crowd sharing) its actually in the terms and conditions for the app.

Navigation does use resources that Maps does for certain things but not all. It is peculiar that only that area is grey.

You wouldnt happen to have your Navigation app 'offline' by any chance?

Old 04-12-2013, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoov_groovzsd View Post
Ok so I am confused. You said google maps was working but the navigation app was not for that area correct? Or are you talking about the web version of Google Maps from your PC or the app on your phone?

Yes in some instances they will pull from different sources. A lot of it is techno babel on the back end of which I wont get into. Long story short, iPhone users and Android users have access to Google Maps and the data is given is only from people that have GPS on (called crowd sharing) its actually in the terms and conditions for the app.

Navigation does use resources that Maps does for certain things but not all. It is peculiar that only that area is grey.

You wouldnt happen to have your Navigation app 'offline' by any chance?
The google maps app on the phone - not on the PC

I just checked it again using my wife's phone and my phone. This time there is a lot less grey using google navigation, only the area near SNA is grey but both phones (Androids) show grey and to reiterate, both phones' google maps with the traffic layer enabled have 100% data coverage.

You're in San Diego. Try it. Use google navigation to go to SNA (John Wayne Airport). It's only showing grey for about 1/4 mile stretch - big improvement over the five mile stretch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones