Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 10:01 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times

Advertisements

I'll try to make this as concise as possible.

I'm a Sprint subscriber with an Android phone. HATE Sprint. HATE my phone. My contract expires in 2 months.

Earlier this week, some scrote pushed a heavy glass door into me. I had my phone in my coat pocket at the time. The door handle banged my pocket hard. When I took my phone out of my pocket, the screen was cracked. Deeply. So deeply that little shards of plastic/glass are constantly falling out and some features of the phone no longer work because it thinks the screen is being touched/pressed, I suppose due to increased pressure on the surface of the screen from the crack.

I do have equipment protection coverage with Sprint, but the deductible is $100. Coincidentally, that is the exact same amount that I would pay to terminate my contract early.

Since my phone is impaired and I fear it will not last 2 more months, I'm anxious to get a new one.

I pay over $100 with Sprint every month for their "unlimited" plan. It's a total joke. Their 4G coverage is nonexistant. It makes no sense to have "unlimited" data when your ability to do anything on the phone is so severely throttled by the network speed that you just give up and put it back in your pocket. I have used less than 300 MB this month on 3G and 4G combined.

Before all of this happened, I had been planning to ditch Sprint and go with Verizon or T-Mobile and the iPhone. (I don't wish to engage in a debate about the relative merits of the iPhone.) I know Sprint has iPhones, but their network sucks and so does their customer service. I don't want to get service with AT&T because...well...I hate them. The iPhone drops at T-Mobile stores next week, apparently, and I've already priced a plan with Verizon where I'd pay the same amount of money per month with almost ten times the data capacity that I use on average (their 2GB plan).

In a nutshell....

I don't want to pay the early termination fee at Sprint. I also do not want to pay a $100 deductible to fix a phone that is almost 2 years old when I've been paying for the insurance at $8 a month for almost 2 years. That's ridiculous.

What would you do if you were me?
  • Cancel Sprint and go with a different provider and eat the $100?
  • Ask Sprint to waive the deductible, get my phone fixed, and wait for my contract to expire?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2013, 10:11 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,700,286 times
Sounds to me that what you really hate is the deal you agreed to. I find that it is generally not good for my health to look at things that way. I recognize that at the time I make a deal I have the opportunity to walk away if I don't have enough information, insight, or confidence in the value proposition, so whatever happens after that, other than explicit fraud on someone else's part, is my responsibility. Another aspect of keeping healthy is refraining from second-guessing myself or otherwise hating on myself for a decision I made in the past.

How that could be applied in your situation is this: Since there was no fraud involved, everything that happened in the past is irrelevant. All that matters is how much each of your going-forward options is going to cost you, and what each of those options are worth to you. While asking Sprint to waive the deductible is a good thing - it can't hurt - based on what I've outlined above, I wouldn't expect them to, and I'd be prepared to move forward with whatever approach I would want to take in the case that they choose not to waive the deductible.

I cannot provide a clearer answer about how I would go without knowing what the early termination fee is. Some of what you wrote implies that the fee is $100, but that's also the deductible on the telephone repair, so I'm not sure we have both numbers to work with here. If the early termination fee really is just $100 then that would probably be my suggestion.

Old 04-05-2013, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Sounds to me that what you really hate is the deal you agreed to. I find that it is generally not good for my health to look at things that way. I recognize that at the time I make a deal I have the opportunity to walk away if I don't have enough information, insight, or confidence in the value proposition, so whatever happens after that, other than explicit fraud on someone else's part, is my responsibility. Another aspect of keeping healthy is refraining from second-guessing myself or otherwise hating on myself for a decision I made in the past.

How that could be applied in your situation is this: Since there was no fraud involved, everything that happened in the past is irrelevant. All that matters is how much each of your going-forward options is going to cost you, and what each of those options are worth to you. While asking Sprint to waive the deductible is a good thing - it can't hurt - based on what I've outlined above, I wouldn't expect them to, and I'd be prepared to move forward with whatever approach I would want to take in the case that they choose not to waive the deductible.

I cannot provide a clearer answer about how I would go without knowing what the early termination fee is. Some of what you wrote implies that the fee is $100, but that's also the deductible on the telephone repair, so I'm not sure we have both numbers to work with here. If the early termination fee really is just $100 then that would probably be my suggestion.
I realize that I signed a contract; I get that. However, I did not know at the time just how crappy Sprint's coverage/service was. I had an entire week last month where I couldn't even dial out on my phone due to network problems. Other subscribers in my area have experienced similar difficulties.

I have already verified that the deductible is $100, and the early termination fee is also $100. However, sometimes people in the stores will waive the equiment protection deductible in order to 'make nice'.

Here's how I see it; the worst they could do is say no. I'm prepared to walk and pay the early termination fee if they do. I hate Sprint that much.

Old 04-05-2013, 10:21 AM

6,470 posts, read 10,332,410 times
Keep in mind that if you go to another carrier, you could port your existing mobile # and not need a brand new one. From what you have already mentioned, just bite the bullet and move on. No need to stay with a company you are not satisfied with. Best of luck and let us know what happens.

Old 04-05-2013, 10:31 AM
bUU

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I realize that I signed a contract; I get that. However, I did not know at the time just how crappy Sprint's coverage/service was.
That's the kind of second-guessing that I mentioned that I don't engage in (and recommend others don't either). I generally weigh my lack of information, insight, or confidence in the value proposition against just how much I want whatever it is - but if I decide to go ahead anyway, that's on me - no one else. It's the main reason why I still don't have a tablet: I just don't have access to enough insight into how good or bad access would be, in all the circumstances I would want to use it, to spend that money now, so I'll stick with a laptop until I have more confidence, or until my desire gets sufficiently higher to waive my need for confidence.

Quote:
I have already verified that the deductible is $100, and the early termination fee is also $100.
That sounds great. I'd go for the early termination. And again, I recommend that you make sure before you spend a penny with your next service provider that you are completely happy with what is being offered and promised. I bet it would suck to go through this same frustration again with another company.

Old 04-05-2013, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
That's the kind of second-guessing that I mentioned that I don't engage in (and recommend others don't either). I generally weigh my lack of information, insight, or confidence in the value proposition against just how much I want whatever it is - but if I decide to go ahead anyway, that's on me - no one else. It's the main reason why I still don't have a tablet: I just don't have access to enough insight into how good or bad access would be, in all the circumstances I would want to use it, to spend that money now, so I'll stick with a laptop until I have more confidence, or until my desire gets sufficiently higher to waive my need for confidence.

That sounds great. I'd go for the early termination. And again, I recommend that you make sure before you spend a penny with your next service provider that you are completely happy with what is being offered and promised. I bet it would suck to go through this same frustration again with another company.
Well there is no way for me to know for sure how good/bad the service is until I actually get to use it.

I thought I was happy with what was being offered with Sprint. I'm not an idiot.

Old 04-05-2013, 10:42 AM

43,266 posts, read 77,063,738 times
Another approach:
Pay $100 for the new phone. If it is through Asurion, you will have it tomorrow. It will probably be a refurb, but it may be an entirely new phone, with charger and battery.

Finish the contract while you shop other providers at your leisure over the next 60 days.
Sell the replacement phone on Craigslist for most of that $100 you just paid for it to someone who doesn't have credit to get a subsidized phone, and not enough cash to buy a $500 phone outright.

Old 04-05-2013, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Another approach:
Pay $100 for the new phone. If it is through Asurion, you will have it tomorrow. It will probably be a refurb, but it may be an entirely new phone, with charger and battery.

Finish the contract while you shop other providers at your leisure over the next 60 days.
Sell the replacement phone on Craigslist for most of that $100 you just paid for it to someone who doesn't have credit to get a subsidized phone, and not enough cash to buy a $500 phone outright.
I've heard that Sprint sometimes locks you into another 2 years if you use equipment protection, or at least they try to. I sure wouldn't sign a thing with them, don't want to get trapped into another 2 years. I wouldn't put it past them to try to trick me into it.

Aren't these phones usually locked to Sprint's network? Would it have any value anyway?

Old 04-05-2013, 11:17 AM
bUU

Quote:
Well there is no way for me to know for sure how good/bad the service is until I actually get to use it.
And that is the case for us quite often. We should take personal responsibility for agreeing to the deal anyway.

Quote:
I've heard that Sprint sometimes locks you into another 2 years if you use equipment protection, or at least they try to. I sure wouldn't sign a thing with them, don't want to get trapped into another 2 years. I wouldn't put it past them to try to trick me into it.
It probably is a good idea not to grant them anything further, or at the very least, ask the question (ensuring that your current agreement doesn't have provisions to that effect, which you're unaware of) and get the answer in writing before you give the go-ahead.

Old 04-05-2013, 11:19 AM

3,734 posts, read 5,766,785 times
Ran across this just last night. If it's true (and I'm not prone to believing the New York Times), then this is really great news. http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/04/te...=general&_r=1&
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones