Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2013, 09:55 PM

1,956 posts, read 3,635,181 times

Advertisements

For background, I worked in VZW tech support for four years.

It doesn't matter if the phone is CDMA compatible. Verizon's official policy is they don't accept outside devices. While they will make exceptions for business accounts, it involves paperwork and a long delay to get the device's identification number added to Verizon's billing system. Most don't bother unless it's some kind of third-party machine-to-machine telemetry device their businesses needs to function. For regular customers, if you have Verizon service, you have to use the phones they sell. As far as I know, they have never sold a smartwatch.

The problem with smartwatches is the batteries are tiny compared to a cell phone and a cellular antenna sucks up a LOT of juice. That's why the newer smartwatches sync with a smartphone rather than connecting with the cell towers directly. It takes up less juice, but even so the batteries only last a few days at most. The Galaxy Gear can't last longer than a day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2013, 06:40 AM

6,476 posts, read 10,343,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesster View Post
The Galaxy Gear can't last longer than a day.
And sadly, neither will my Samsung Galaxy S4 with frequent usage.

Old 10-18-2013, 08:36 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,689,232 times
This just goes to show you yet again the power of the marketing dollar.
Europe has had these for several years and we just got them?
Sony has had a Smartwatch out for for well over a year already. In fact, they just released the 2nd version of it. $100 cheaper and works with any Android phone.

Sony Smartwatch 2 review: a second screen for your Android phone | Technology | theguardian.com

Old 10-18-2013, 02:14 PM

Don't forget that Europe doesn't have the FCC and the numerous US agencies that regulate such products here. Approval of many electronic devices require intensive and expensive testing here. Just saying.

Old 10-18-2013, 03:40 PM

129 posts, read 516,178 times
Yep basically gonna have to give up on this idea. Bluetooth = over, as soon as everyone in the world was talking really loudly to themselves in lines (2007 or so) wearing sunglass and chatting like a-holes it was done, zombies do exist in real life ...

The tethering thing is the exact opposite of what I want, Instead of one device I don't like now there is a device I don't like, talking to another piece of hardware I do. A simple equation for this: -2 + 2=0

And the battery life issue, my phone does not last for more than a day anyhow, unless it is never turned on, or left in airplane mode constantly, been like that since day one, plus the incredibly annoying Google searching, everytime I go to one location the dumb thing shows me searches from months ago, yes I know how to disable and clear everything, it does not care. Oh do you need that Pizza Hut number again 6 months later? Did you still need to know about chrome valve stem caps at Autozone? Thinking about just switching to a basic flip phone with good signal and a camera. Thanks for the replies everyone!!

Old 10-20-2013, 10:10 AM

1,017 posts, read 1,811,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
And sadly, neither will my Samsung Galaxy S4 with frequent usage.
so true thats why i went to the note 3 nice battery life

Old 10-20-2013, 10:14 AM

i think that apple might come out with the iwatch next year but don't hold it against me. so is sony and qualcomm as well i think

Old 10-21-2013, 08:40 AM

Apple iWatch SPECS REVEALED! - YouTube

Old 10-21-2013, 08:44 AM

8,357 posts, read 25,236,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orrecc View Post
The majority of these devices require SIM activation, I know nothing about using a SIM on Verizon or on any other network, thought only prepaid phones used them. Feel free to correct me on this if I am wrong.
7: Appears the USA general population would rather have the smartphone so you can show each other pictures of cats and so on, plus keep up on twitter.
For the most part, SIM cards = GSM networks, but some CDNA phones have SIM cards. AT&T and T-Mobile here in the States are GSM and use SIM cards. One of the reasons why I stayed with T-Mo for 8 years was because of the beauty of the SIM card...I could remove my card and place it into any GSM phone and it would work as my own.

As for #7...yup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
This just goes to show you yet again the power of the marketing dollar.
Europe has had these for several years and we just got them?
Sony has had a Smartwatch out for for well over a year already. In fact, they just released the 2nd version of it. $100 cheaper and works with any Android phone.

Sony Smartwatch 2 review: a second screen for your Android phone | Technology | theguardian.com
Europe and Asia have a good number of electronic devices we don't have. Yet, we are supposedly #1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
Don't forget that Europe doesn't have the FCC and the numerous US agencies that regulate such products here. Approval of many electronic devices require intensive and expensive testing here. Just saying.
Well, don't forget that Europe is not as sue-happy as the U.S. If a neighbor's smart watch was interfering with a garage door opener, no one would be taken to court. Here, the offended party would not only sue the neighbor, but possibly the manufacturer, too.

Old 10-21-2013, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post

Well, don't forget that Europe is not as sue-happy as the U.S. If a neighbor's smart watch was interfering with a garage door opener, no one would be taken to court. Here, the offended party would not only sue the neighbor, but possibly the manufacturer, too.
You are absolutely correct there. Like the fact that Preparation H has a label saying "Do not take internally". Some idiot did, sued the manufacturer and won.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones