Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2015, 01:04 AM

1 posts, read 2,619 times

Advertisements

A number that is similar to mine with one digit off texted me their number. So it appeared twice in text. Its like someone who knows me got a chance to pick the last 4 digits that is the same as mine. For example mine being 222-556-1234 and the impersonator 222-557-1234. Will they use it to fraudulently act as me?

Last edited by I Need Advice; 11-13-2015 at 01:11 AM.. Reason: needed to be more accurate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2015, 09:34 PM

6,474 posts, read 10,341,133 times
See post #3 for a simple explanation of what is happening.

Old 01-29-2016, 12:12 PM

1 posts, read 2,411 times
I'm having this problem but in the opposite. In the past two days I've received phone calls and text messages from people with the same area code & prefix as myself asking why I keep calling them. I've only called my mom & my kids recently. I called AT&T a few minutes ago and they could only tell me to report those people who are getting calls from me, that they are probably phishing. But these people are calling & texting, angry because I "keep calling" them which I'm not. I did finally get them to look over my account to make sure there's nothing strange there. I guess I'm just stuck with the issue which is a major pain because I can't ignore calls since I use it for personal, work and my home business. Best of luck to all of us having issues!

Old 01-29-2016, 07:22 PM

6,474 posts, read 10,341,133 times
Problem is, short of changing your phone # there is nothing At&t can do to help.

Old 03-23-2016, 10:23 AM

1 posts, read 2,262 times
This has been happening to me on a rather routine basis. I get two-three phone calls a week to my cell with the caller id matching the first six digits matching my number (the area code and the exchange).

When I pick up, I get an automated message telling me that I have won three "free" vacations which will only cost me $1000. I just hang. I have called the number and when someone picks up, they tell me that they had not called me.

It appears that I am going to have to put up with this nuisance. It seems more widespread than I would have ever imagined.

Old 04-05-2016, 11:55 AM

1,619 posts, read 1,101,129 times
I got one yesterday. I didn't answer but I was nosy so I called back from a different phone. It didn't even ring or anything, it's like the call doesn't go through. Weird.

Old 04-05-2016, 01:49 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,472,223 times
For Android try an app called 'Mr Number'. It works great and that is what I use to block and identify spam calls. It will simply hang up on them or send them to voicemail if you prefer.

Old 04-05-2016, 06:23 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,770,890 times
It's so easy to spoof phone numbers (fake the caller ID number). And it's very frustrating if someone used your phone number in some sort of phone scam. Some years ago, I received a lot of angry and harassing calls due to this. Thinking back, I'm not sure what the perpetrator was doing spoofing my phone number, but in time I eventually no longer got misdirected phone calls.

Often fraudsters spoof phone numbers that are not valid or disconnected. And often, scammers can also easily acquire a phone number for a scam.

Old 04-05-2016, 07:49 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,832,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southgeorgia
Ive noticed all the telemarketing calls I've received lately are like this to make them appear local.....
We get alot of calls FROM OUR OWN #!!!

I think they may be trying to get into our voicemail (IF THE CALLER ID IS THE SAME # AS YOURS,IT LETS YOU RIGHT IN/NO PASSWORD -- I HAVE DONE IT,IT WORKS!)

Make sure to always set your voicemail TO ALWAYS ASK FOR YOUR PASSWORD EVEN IF THE CALLER ID "APPEARS" TO BE YOU CALLING!!! (You actually checking your voicemail)

Old 03-27-2017, 12:11 PM

1 posts, read 1,687 times
I'm having the exact same issue. I'm receiving 40 calls per day from numbers that match the first six digits of my cell. And now I'm getting texts, too. I just added my number to the national do no call list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones