Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2015, 09:28 AM

3,307 posts, read 9,383,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeusAV View Post
I'm sure there are people out there who prefer to use their walkmans and cassette players over MP3 players as well. I suppose in the end the walkman is still a portable music player, just far less efficient.
And if message boards like this existed in the 80's, there would have been someone complaining about Walkmen too- "everyone's always listening to headphones instead of interacting with the real world", "vinyl sounds better", etc.

Technology marches on...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2015, 06:32 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,769,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
OK all you smartphone owners, you've got me convinced. I too want 'infinite knowledge' at my finger tips. I'm running out tomorrow at 9 AM to buy one. Maybe two so I can be like my neighbors. They track each others movements with the GPS function. While talking to my neighbor in his driveway, it was 5:07 and he was wondering were his wife was picking up the kids. He whipped out his toy, showed me on an aerial view, tracking his wifes car on the street and parked in a driveway. 'There she is'. I told him I didn't like that function of his toy. He then told that his wife asked him why his car was parked so long at a bar after his softball game. I told him I REALLY don't like that function. Maybe I'll just buy one phone.
Are smartphones actually used to make a call to actually talk to other people or just an expensive toy to 'scan bar codes' to compare prices at Amazon. I'm old fashion. I still use my computer and view a 19" screen.
You CAN turn the GPS off if you would like.

Today I used my iPhone to live map where I walked my 6.6 miles with my dog. It recorded how fast I walked, where I went, and how many calories I burned. It also recorded the altitude of the terrain I was walking. I also used the calendar on it. As I was walking, my phone rang, and at first, I ignored it, because I did not recognize the number. A message was left, so I listened. Turns out it was someone I knew, but I just did not have their cell phone number in my phone. So I added their new phone number to my contacts, which keeps all my phone numbers and addresses right at my fingertips. Then I returned his call. The person on the other end wanted to know if a certain date and time worked for something on my schedule. Since I keep my calendar on my phone, it took only a few seconds to access it and determine if date and time worked. All done while walking! Then my son texted me from the library at his college with a quick question while I was walking. I used Siri to reply to him (meaning I could speak the text and say 'send" all without looking at the phone - still walking). I have a heart rate monitor app on it, so as I got my walking up to speed, I could check my heart rate. Let's see....the pedometer app counts all my steps during the day. The weather app told me those dark clouds that popped up were NOT rain/snow clouds as I was at the farthest point from home. Yeah, I love my iPhone!

Old 02-08-2015, 12:03 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times
Smart phones allow people the luxury of being a hermit in the middle of a crowd. Shy? Introverted? Socially inept? No need to worry about interacting with others when you can hide in your fantasy Smart Phone world.

Old 02-08-2015, 02:25 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,189,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Smart phones allow people the luxury of being a hermit in the middle of a crowd. Shy? Introverted? Socially inept? No need to worry about interacting with others when you can hide in your fantasy Smart Phone world.
But with the username, "Tek-Freek..."

Anyway, using one's computer to post here, for example, makes us hermits. Don't you think so? While I am not into surfing the net and all of that stuff with my smartphone, the device is in fact much like the computers you and I are using to post in this forum. My laptop has calculators, calendars, email applications, maps, and just about anything a smartphone has. The only difference is that a smartphone is a lot more portable, and includes cellular data for voice communication on the go. Otherwise both are the same. The bottomline is that everything you said above applies not only to cellphone users, but to computer users as well. There is not a difference at all.

Old 02-08-2015, 06:46 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times
I don't carry my tablet or laptop when I go out. And when I am out I'm not on my cell phone unless it's absolutely necessary. Your assumption is wrong and your logic is flawed.

Yes, Tek_Freek. You read more into that user name based on your bias than reality warrants.

Old 02-09-2015, 10:03 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,703,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
While talking to my neighbor in his driveway, it was 5:07 and he was wondering were his wife was picking up the kids. He whipped out his toy, showed me on an aerial view, tracking his wifes car on the street and parked in a driveway. 'There she is'.
I was SO thankful to have this feature when my wife was pregnant. In Cleveland. Over the Winter. It was nice never having to worry about her being stuck on the side of the road.
And the one time she called me, totally lost and freaking out because she took a wrong turn, it was SO nice to be able to pull her up on the computer and tell her "OK, just get off at Crocker Road, and I can get you there from there..."
We turned off that feature after the baby came. But even if we hadn't, if my wife gave me a hard time because I was at the bar longer then she thought I should be.... well I'm not sure she'd be my wife for long. Our marriage doesn't work like that.

Not to EVEN mention one of our regular posters that will hopefully come by soon to tell you the story about how a Smartphone SAVED HIS WIFE'S LIFE. No kidding.

EIther way, you are just WAY to judgmental Mr. d4g4... just because it's not for you, just because you see no value, doesn't make the rest of us soulless zombies carrying around soul sucking smartphones that is totally making us disconnect from the real world and turning us into automatons....

Old 02-09-2015, 02:00 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,978,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
If you don't like that function then turn it off. Phones have options.
This ^

The phone can ONLY be tracked if the GPS setting is on, without it on you cannot track someone's movements. Even with the GPS setting on you can't track just anyone, you likely have to have an app with shared pairing between the phones where both users consent. People who are afraid of technology because they don't fully understand its uses and functions are the worst...luckily they are not the younger generations. Smartphones have revolutionized a lot of things in this world, but you're only able to see a very narrow minded view of the potential "evil" it can be used for.

Old 02-09-2015, 03:07 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,549,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post

Not to EVEN mention one of our regular posters that will hopefully come by soon to tell you the story about how a Smartphone SAVED HIS WIFE'S LIFE. No kidding.

That would be me, I believe. But truth be told, we just both happened to have iPhones at the time. To put it more accurately, Mrs5150 is alive today because she had her phone handy.

//www.city-data.com/forum/cell-...ll-always.html

A luddite friend of mine got herself a phone a week later.

Old 02-09-2015, 09:07 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,189,297 times
Quote:
I don't carry my tablet or laptop when I go out. And when I am out I'm not on my cell phone unless it's absolutely necessary. Your assumption is wrong and your logic is flawed.

Yes, Tek_Freek. You read more into that user name based on your bias than reality warrants.
I was not talking about you specifically. But in reality any time we spend on the computer, cell phone, or just playing a game (online or at home), is a time we aren't interacting with others face to face. Besides that, lost of people have their own reasons for being online using their computers, or on the phones, and the reasons many.

And I was responding to this post of yours:
Quote:
All it means that such is the way you view others, and as such you are putting yourself in a pedestal while demeaning others in this forum.

Last edited by RayinAK; 02-09-2015 at 09:35 PM..

Old 02-09-2015, 10:43 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,978,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
I was not talking about you specifically. But in reality any time we spend on the computer, cell phone, or just playing a game (online or at home), is a time we aren't interacting with others face to face. Besides that, lost of people have their own reasons for being online using their computers, or on the phones, and the reasons many.

And I was responding to this post of yours:

All it means that such is the way you view others, and as such you are putting yourself in a pedestal while demeaning others in this forum.
Unless you are using Skype or Face Time, then you are interacting with others face to face, but non-smart phone users likely wouldn't know much about that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones