Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 10:03 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,465,766 times

Advertisements

Seems like I remember the iPhone not having the ability to tether. Maybe this was true for the earlier models, has this changed with the recent iPhone?

I had a situation last night where both my wireless router and my access point died (yes, they were old!) I couldn't get either one working again and needed to get online. SO, I tethered my galaxy s3 to my laptop to use the 4G.

Since I've been having some weird issues with my S3 (which I realize is ancient now), I might be interested in a new smart phone. I've been sort of interested in the new iPhone, but I'm worried that if I went with Apple, I'd lose the ability to tether. Is this still an issue with Apple?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2016, 10:20 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,685,380 times
Do you mean tethering via USB?
If you mean using as a WiFi hospot: iPhones all do Hotspotting (for an added fee from your carrier).

Old 02-04-2016, 11:48 AM

2,563 posts, read 3,681,887 times
I have an IPhone, and I'm paying for two others. All can be used as a hotspot, at least on Verizon (that I know of), although be aware, the cost can add up fast. So in a pinch, great. You're all set. Play around all month on the internet that way and you're in for a surprise.

Old 02-04-2016, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine
If you mean using as a WiFi hospot: iPhones all do Hotspotting (for an added fee from your carrier).
Yeah, via USB. I can do it with my S3, but I didn't think it was possible with the iPhone. It's good to know that I can use the iPhone as a hotspot if need be. Seems like the hotspot option for my S3 is included, because I don't see any extra charges on my bill for the service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John7777
I have an IPhone, and I'm paying for two others. All can be used as a hotspot, at least on Verizon (that I know of), although be aware, the cost can add up fast. So in a pinch, great. You're all set. Play around all month on the internet that way and you're in for a surprise.
I'm just talking about in a pinch where I have to do computer work and need internet access. Not anything close to using it all month long.

Old 02-04-2016, 12:31 PM

15,430 posts, read 25,804,859 times
An iPhone can tether via USB, or by becoming a Personal Hotspot through wifi. When try to turn on hotspot with wifi and bluetooth off, it asks me if I want to do it through USB only. It works great.

Old 02-04-2016, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
An iPhone can tether via USB, or by becoming a Personal Hotspot through wifi. When try to turn on hotspot with wifi and bluetooth off, it asks me if I want to do it through USB only. It works great.
This is any iPhone version?

Old 02-04-2016, 03:58 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,542,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Depend on the carrier. With ATT and Verizon, no extra charge. And for the third time the iPhone does tethering. Been the case for years and is real easy to do.

Old 02-05-2016, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Depend on the carrier. With ATT and Verizon, no extra charge. And for the third time the iPhone does tethering. Been the case for years and is real easy to do.
It's definitely easy to do with the Android phone. I just seem to remember something (and I admit, this has been years ago now) where there was some big to do over tethering, and it seemed to have something specifically to do with the iPhone, but I don't remember all the details.

I guess my whole point in the thread was just to confirm that I could use an iPhone as a tethered hotspot if I needed internet access and I was away from any other source of wireless.

Old 02-05-2016, 08:12 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,685,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Since when? Recently, I assume. Big Red has always charged an extra $25/mo for that.

Old 02-05-2016, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Since when? Recently, I assume. Big Red has always charged an extra $25/mo for that.
Nope.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones