Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2016, 06:46 PM

783 posts, read 695,595 times

Advertisements

If you could trade in your keys and wallet for you cell phone would you?

What I mean is imagine if you could unlock your car with your phone, pay digitally, and even show basic ID using your cell phone. Would you want that? Or would the fear of losing your phone and everything be too overwhelming? Money has already seemed to go digital by large in most large cities. However if we could go outside with only our phone and be secure, would you do it?

Do you think that we could ever make our phones secure enough to try? Just a thought.

Opinions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2016, 07:59 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,546,803 times
My phone is not a replacement for cash money or my house and car keys. Nice concept, but ask the waitress at Grounds if she'd rather have a $10 bill or a credit on her iTunes acct for a tip. Same for my mechanic. As it is many businesses give a discount for cash.

You lose your phone and you are fked. No taxi or Uber for you! Walk home. Always good to have a back up! Cash or plastic.

OP, your question is like saying if you are taking a weekend trip would you be OK not packing a spare shirt or pants.

Old 04-24-2016, 08:20 PM

8,299 posts, read 3,812,442 times
We already use our phones to pay for most things. It doesn't unlock my car however, and it generally cannot be used for ID (yet).

I don't generally carry cash, but always have Amex as a backup.

Old 04-24-2016, 09:05 PM

783 posts, read 695,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
My phone is not a replacement for cash money or my house and car keys. Nice concept, but ask the waitress at Grounds if she'd rather have a $10 bill or a credit on her iTunes acct for a tip. Same for my mechanic. As it is many businesses give a discount for cash.

You lose your phone and you are fked. No taxi or Uber for you! Walk home. Always good to have a back up! Cash or plastic.

OP, your question is like saying if you are taking a weekend trip would you be OK not packing a spare shirt or pants.
I'm not saying that it should be illegal to carry cash. And yes on a weekend trip, or anywhere far away it probably is still smart to bring cash. However plenty of people already go outside their house with only plastic to pay for whatever they have. Sure businesses and everything hasn't migrated over to plastic, but people prefer this at most places. (grocery stores, starbucks etc.) You don't have to get rid of cash completely to make it functionally obsolete. Many people don't carry around change already because it's just annoying walking around with stuff jingling in your pockets. If you could theoretically do the same with cash, it would be a major improvement to carry one item instead of three.

Of course security is the main issue with this since you could lose your phone and everything with it. So there is a trade-off. But what decision isn't?

Old 04-25-2016, 07:15 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,856,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logicist027 View Post
If you could trade in your keys and wallet for you cell phone would you?

What I mean is imagine if you could unlock your car with your phone, pay digitally, and even show basic ID using your cell phone. Would you want that? Or would the fear of losing your phone and everything be too overwhelming? Money has already seemed to go digital by large in most large cities. However if we could go outside with only our phone and be secure, would you do it?

Do you think that we could ever make our phones secure enough to try? Just a thought.

Opinions?
Car keys -- Some car models only need the key *in the vicinity* of the car, so *on you*.
So if you made some kind of a holster that holds your phone and your car key, your *problem* would be solved.
I always wear a belt. The clasp actually is my car key ...
2016 New Fashion Men Women Unisex Belts Car Key Design Alloy Buckle Waistband Waist Belt For Boy Casual Men'S Accessories Fan Belt Custom Belt Buckles From Top777, $10.36| Dhgate.Com

House keys -- There are locks that only need a code to unlock, no *key* required.
Just google for those yourself !

Basic ID -- That same holster (holding your phone) could contain your drivers licence.
My phone sits in a plastic *holder*. My drivers License and one credit card are *mounted* inside that holder see pic attached.

So now you only wonder if you need some real cash ...
In most places where you would like to leave some real money as a tip for services rendered, pay the bill with your phone, or credit card, but add cash back and give that to the person who deserved it.
I do that all the time.
Any change (coins) goes in a small container in my car, which is usually *raided* by my wife ...

So ... , basically I am already doing what you would like to do ?

Loosing my phone ?
Oh well, nothing is perfect !
My phone holder is clipped on my pants pocket.
I NEVER put my phone on some table when I am NOT using it.
Attached Thumbnails
Would you throw away your wallet & keys?-20160425_070459_008_tn.jpg  

Old 04-25-2016, 07:29 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times
Sort of. However, I don't need it all on my phone. As irman pointed out, I already have keyless entry on my house. Enter a code. This might be the single biggest life enhancing technology I've ever done.
We came home from a Mexcio trip one year and our keys were no longer in the suitcase where we always store them. It's February. We had to wait outside 40 minutes for a friend to bring a spare key.
Well no more.
I can already pay for some things with my phone. And it's saved my butt a time or two. Like the time I went to take my son to McDonalds for lunch. Pick him up from school. He's pumped. Yea dad! We pull into McD's and realize I don't have my wallet.
Digging in the center console looking for enough change to at least get him something when it hit me: McD's takes Android Pay. Hell yea.
As to the car: That would be cool. My car IS keyless, also, as someone pointed out, but it's NOT that cool for me. I have to have the fob with me, fine if you're a woman and carry a purse. I often leave the fob in the cup holder. Anyone can just walk up and drive my car away. It would be better on the phone.

Bottom Line: Instead of? No. In addition to? Yes.

Old 04-25-2016, 07:31 AM

15 posts, read 29,075 times
I think this technology would be handy and unhandy in the same time. Of course, we all would like to have all our tools in one gadget. But imagine that you lost this super-powerful smartphone. You can't enter your home, can't call anyone, can't pay for a service. And recovery will take time. We can't afford ourselves to be dependant on one thing only

Old 04-25-2016, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuliaStein86 View Post
I think this technology would be handy and unhandy in the same time. Of course, we all would like to have all our tools in one gadget. But imagine that you lost this super-powerful smartphone. You can't enter your home, can't call anyone, can't pay for a service. And recovery will take time. We can't afford ourselves to be dependant on one thing only
OK ... , Do you then have everything you need in two places *on you* all the time ?

I really do not have just ONE gadget, as I have stated above.
I just have those things *on me* all the time, and not in some bulky wallet, or key ring with umpteen keys on it.

Old 04-25-2016, 07:59 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
One of the issues is it may not be worth it for the merchant, my friend owns a small hardware store. He has a huge selection of bolts and nuts of all different sizes, you can buy one that might cost as little as 10 cents. He had a customer come in and the purchase price was 50 cents, they wanted to pay with a card. He'd lose money on this sale....

Old 04-25-2016, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
As to the car: That would be cool. My car IS keyless, also, as someone pointed out, but it's NOT that cool for me. I have to have the fob with me, fine if you're a woman and carry a purse. I often leave the fob in the cup holder. Anyone can just walk up and drive my car away. It would be better on the phone.

Bottom Line: Instead of? No. In addition to? Yes.
Not if the key is always part of what you are wearing, such as my *Belt buckle* that has been modified *the American way*, to hold a car key ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones