Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2018, 04:55 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,257,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
fastninja500 cremebrulee, have you checked whether you inadvertently "blocked" your son's phone number on your phone? If you've checked that, then forget this post.
yes, thank you I have....

Quote:
I've done this before - accidentally blocked a friend's number because I didn't recognize it. I thought it was spam cause it called me a few times. Turns out, it was my friends new number and he was calling me to add to my contacts. He finally texted me on Viber. Which didn't block his number.
I must have called 4 times before I got this woman, who is an AT&T IS support rep. She has been awesome. She called again last night, and is now also working with my son, and is the first IS support rep, I can understand, and is extremely do-diligent. Plus she is nice...caring, and loves this challenge. She said, she has in her 17 years of experience, never seen this before, so she has pushed it up to a higher level of Tech support people who she feels will not only be working on it from the back end, but also will find a solution.

I sure hope so and that they let me know what the problem is.

To anyone who needs Tech support, if you don't get any satisfaction, please continue to call back until you get someone who will help you.

Also wish to thank everyone here for your suggestions, and will let you know when I find out what the problem is.

It could be a tower, b/c I know one was down in my area, and I read somewhere when a tower goes down, you are automatically re-routed to another tower which may be farther away, but if that were the problem, you would think others would have a problem reaching me....it's just my son? Crazy isn't it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2018, 07:29 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,679,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastninja500 View Post
Peregrine/Tek_Freek - your BFF oelyvier left. LLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLL ......
I was waiting which one of "you all" would explode. Admirably, you both dealt with that very ... diplomatically. She'll probably be back. Maybe tone it down a bit. CD is kind of addicting when things aren't busy at work.
Yea, I'm not counting her out yet.

Thanks for the update CB. Do let us know.

Old 03-28-2018, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Yea, I'm not counting her out yet.

Thanks for the update CB. Do let us know.
I will, thank you....

Old 04-11-2018, 04:55 AM

I am bringing this thread back up, b/c the AT&T IS people have still not been able to fix my phone.

They have been trouble shooting it now for over a month...and I find this rather odd....

To refresh you on the problem, I bought a new S-8 phone, AT&T provider, and whenever my son calls me, he gets nothing but a fast busy signal, and he cannot get thru...it never rings on my end either.

Anyone else can call me and get thru?

Now, he can text me, and ask me to call him, and his texts do come thru....?????

Does anyone have any ideas?

Side note, and please, nor arguing with each other if you disagree, we must be open to all and every solution effectively....

Thanks...

Old 04-11-2018, 07:00 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,679,952 times
There will be no arguing as Mrs. Know-it-all does seem to have actually left.

and... I'm pretty much out of ideas at this point.

Old 04-11-2018, 11:16 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,682,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Hi,
Recently I bought an Android, Galaxy S-8. All was fine until about two or three weeks in. All of a sudden, when my son tried to phone me, (he lives in another state) he kept getting a busy signal. But he was able to text and email me.?

So, making a long story short, I sat on the phone with a gal from Tech support, (and by the way, my son and I both have the same provider) and she ran an update and something else, do not know what? Then she had me ask my son to call me and it worked, all of about 2 days, and reverted right back to the way it was before.

So, she called me to see how things were going and I told her, it was happening again, when he calls, he cannot get thru, he gets a busy signal and it really upsets him, so he has to text me and ask me to call him.

So, she tried to get into my phone again and every time she tried, it flashed, like crazy and she said, "I'm sending you a new phone". So, they sent me a new phone, and guess what, it's doing it again???? Very frustrating.

Oh and she had suggested it might be my internet provider, but we were all using the internet when the kids were home so it's not that....

My son if very frustrated, and btw, it's only him, everyone else can get thru, is that crazy?

Any suggestions.?
An obvious observation - It's not your phone, probably. Did they clone the old phone to the new one for you?

Try crazy things. If you have WiFi turned on, turn it off and have him call.

The first part of this doesn't apply, but the roaming portion might.
Quote:
Although it's unlikely, there's always the possibility that cycling your phone's power by removing the battery for three seconds while it's on will allow you to connect when you power back up. A fast busy signal could also indicate that the PRL (Preferred Roaming List) of your phone's software needs to be updated. If you use Verizon you can do this by dialing *228, pressing "Send" and choosing option 2 to install the update when you're prompted by the operator. If you have another carrier, call them for instructions.

Old 04-11-2018, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
An obvious observation - It's not your phone, probably. Did they clone the old phone to the new one for you?

Try crazy things. If you have WiFi turned on, turn it off and have him call.

The first part of this doesn't apply, but the roaming portion might.
Hi, thank you for taking the time to comment, yes, we tried to turn the WiFi off and on, didn't work. but your 2nd paragraph I'm going to copy for them, for when they call me again, thanks so much....
My case has now been elevated to a higher IS group, the woman who has been working with me, thinks it's something With AT&T.

And yes, they copied all the info from my phone into the new phone...and then they sent me another new phone and did the same thing?

I don't have Verizon, it's AT&T

Old 04-11-2018, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastninja500 View Post
cremebrulee, have you checked whether you inadvertently "blocked" your son's phone number on your phone? If you've checked that, then forget this post.

I've done this before - accidentally blocked a friend's number because I didn't recognize it. I thought it was spam cause it called me a few times. Turns out, it was my friends new number and he was calling me to add to my contacts. He finally texted me on Viber. Which didn't block his number.
yes, I did check, thank you, he is not blocked....

thank you

believe me, we've been working on this a month now and everyone says, they never heard of a phone blocking one number....and especially a family member? Strange isn't it?

My son can text me, and ask me to call him, he just cannot get thru when he calls, he gets a very fast busy signal.

Old 04-11-2018, 12:29 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,682,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Hi, thank you for taking the time to comment, yes, we tried to turn the WiFi off and on, didn't work. but your 2nd paragraph I'm going to copy for them, for when they call me again, thanks so much....
My case has now been elevated to a higher IS group, the woman who has been working with me, thinks it's something With AT&T.

And yes, they copied all the info from my phone into the new phone...and then they sent me another new phone and did the same thing?

I don't have Verizon, it's AT&T
If the problem lies with a setting in your phone the troubleshooting is null and void because it's still there. The comment that the new phone worked for two days is an argument against that statement, but since no one knows what's causing the problem I still would not rule out your phone.

Have your son delete your contact info and recreate it from scratch.

Yeah, Verizon/AT&T. That's why the Verizon portion wasn't bold in my last post.

A long, long, long shot. Do you have Do Not Disturb set up on your phone with him not in the exceptions list?

Old 04-11-2018, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
If the problem lies with a setting in your phone the troubleshooting is null and void because it's still there. The comment that the new phone worked for two days is an argument against that statement, but since no one knows what's causing the problem I still would not rule out your phone.

Have your son delete your contact info and recreate it from scratch.

Yeah, Verizon/AT&T. That's why the Verizon portion wasn't bold in my last post.

A long, long, long shot. Do you have Do Not Disturb set up on your phone with him not in the exceptions list?
you know what, I'm going to check that, but do not disturb only comes on at 7 p.m. until 4 a.m.? I had it on, but allowed "all" contacts to phone me during that time...but took it off, we'll see if that works...

I'm also going to delete him from my contact list and reinstate him see what happens.

I'll let you know, can't call him now, he's at work.......

if you think of anything else, please, it's worth trying.....

My guess would be, if they copied everything of mine over from the 1st phone that it started on, it also copied over the problem. She keeps saying no, she thinks its in AT&T's end?

Last edited by cremebrulee; 04-11-2018 at 01:13 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones