Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2021, 06:58 PM

2,158 posts, read 3,594,283 times

Advertisements

I ride bikes with a couple friends. They are avid fans of group text technology. So one posts "Are we riding tomorrow?" I reply I can't. Their conversation takes off as to where the other two will meet etc. and my phone constantly makes noises to notify me I have text messages. None of these messages are relevant to me, it is where they will meet, will they stop for coffee afterwards, etc.. There were even texts between them "What is the matter with Don? Does his phone not support group texts?" I have to confess that was mildly amusing.

I suggested to J why don't you text me "Can you ride tomorrow?" and then simply forward that text to G after he told me it was too much trouble to type something twice. No he has group text ability and so he is going to use it by god.

One day I was out walking the dog and my phone started alerting me constantly. Evidently I was included in some huge group text which had taken off with all sorts of back and forth -- between names and numbers I did not even recognize! Topics of conversation that meant nothing to me. Texts coming from all different numbers so blocking numbers was of limited use. I would have had my phone off but my wife is susceptible to a fall or other health emergency. Perhaps I missed an easy solution to spare myself, but should I have to come up with one when I am trying to enjoy nice weather and a relaxing walk in our rural neighborhood?

I think there is a problem with laziness and addiction to technology that causes people to respond automatically without thinking who they are responding to and whether it is appropriate. In fact,I know this to be true. My auto repair business has voice mail which I am very responsive to after hours. I call somebody back on my cell phone. If I block my caller ID transmission not one out of a 100 will answer -- can't say I blame them. But if I leave it on in the hope that they will pick up but it goes to their voice mail and I say "This is Don at Don's Automotive. I have some ideas as to what is wrong with your car but I need to know what make and model it is. Please call me back at 447-**** (shop #) with that information and also let me know when would be a good time to reach you." Cell phone rings: "Did you get my message?" "Oh, I didn't listen to it. I just hit auto-respond."

I am sure there can be legitimate uses for group text technology but people should engage the brain before engaging group text.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2021, 08:00 AM

16,551 posts, read 19,703,819 times
You sound like a fun guy. OMG How awful to have friends...

Old 01-02-2021, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
You sound like a fun guy. OMG How awful to have friends...

I have disagreement with friends, but am happy to report I don't receive gratuitous insults from them.

Old 01-02-2021, 10:15 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,785,719 times
Yes, group texts can be a special hell. However, they are also handy at certain times. Worst case, turn off notifications for that specific text and go on with my day.

Old 01-02-2021, 10:38 AM

Good idea. Looks like my phone won't disable notifications, but will allow a custom notification.

Old 01-02-2021, 11:37 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,023,763 times
I frickin hate most group texts, or perhaps I should say the way too many people 'use' group texts poorly.

Adding people to the group who I don't know or care about...

Turning a once-useful conversation into a free for all chat unrelated to the original reason for the text...

And so on.

I can't always tailor my notifications to weed out these group chats...plus, the Android vs. iPhone MMS SMS thing restricts my ability to leave a group text when it becomes a PITA.

Old 01-02-2021, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KemBro71 View Post
I frickin hate most group texts, or perhaps I should say the way too many people 'use' group texts poorly.

Adding people to the group who I don't know or care about....

Or they are texting about things you don't care about.

Quote:
Turning a once-useful conversation into a free for all chat unrelated to the original reason for the text...

And so on.

I can't always tailor my notifications to weed out these group chats...plus, the Android vs. iPhone MMS SMS thing restricts my ability to leave a group text when it becomes a PITA.

Old 01-02-2021, 08:56 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,023,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don in Austin View Post
Or they are texting about things you don't care about.
Absolutely. Like when I'm trying to work (where I use my phone a lot) and there's the ding ding ding from people I might not even know blabbing on about whatever. My in-laws are the worst perpetrators.

Old 01-03-2021, 08:54 PM

5,424 posts, read 3,494,854 times
OP, Can't you turn off the notification sound for texts and only leave the sound on for calls?

Old 01-03-2021, 08:57 PM

5,424 posts, read 3,494,854 times
Quote:
What is meant by the bolded above? Everyone in my family except me has the iPhone. On a group text of four that we have going 1 or 2 members sometimes don't get their texts for hours and they blame my Android for this. Is this the issue? Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones