Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2021, 08:58 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,469,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJ99 View Post
That may been true at one time. Anymore many will not let you just "skip" setting up or logging into a Google account. There are some workarounds for some phones, look on Youtube, but not for feint of heart. Also unfortunately some of newer Android phones will not let you sideload an app. "For your security.." of course. In other words they want more control.

Also some phones you can root them and delete the built in apps. Oh yes you can buy a factory unlocked phone which also lets you delete any app, and you wont regret buying such, but they are far rarer on used market and usually lot more expensive on new retail market.

Oh and on used phones, just cause its GSM unlocked, doesnt mean all options are unlocked. My Sonim XP5 was a former ATT phone. Yes you can make phone calls and texts on it on any GSM network you have SIM for, but the hotspot and usb tethering functions are still locked to ATT, try to use them and you get popup to call ATT even though not using ATT. I had to sideload an open source app called AziLink to do an end run to tether my computer. Its open source and free, originally meant for the very early Android phones that didnt come with native tethering app, though there are some easier to set up tethering apps that do same thing, most $5 to $10. I am so used to AziLink at this point, no point in paying somebody. It is old and has couple quirks but I am very familiar with them. You need openvpn and Android adb on your computer, its available for windows, linux, and mac.
The "skip" part, I don't know for sure, I have not set up any new phones lately or have I needed or wanted to skip. I knew it was possible at one time.

The sideload part is false, you can sideload anything by enabling developer options and setting "unknown sources" to ON. The developer options may not be necessary, it depends on what phone or OS. That option is sometimes located under settings, security.

The key to the unlocked part is to get unlocked and UNBRANDED. They sell them at Best Buy and Amazon for sure. Ebay mostly sells branded phones, I have one. Never been a problem either, not for me. I just disable bloatware or ignore it. Obviously former ATT is BRANDED. You want to avoid that to avoid the bloatware.

Here is an example of an unbranded and unlocked phone. I just ordered one for my wife, will get it tomorrow. I will see if there is a "skip" option. I think it will be Android 10.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B086H4C8CX/

Last edited by gguerra; 01-13-2021 at 09:07 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2021, 09:48 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,310,989 times
I guess burner phones would meet the criterion? Any bodega (or whatever they have in your area) sells these.

Old 01-13-2021, 10:06 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,676,557 times
You can absolutely still skip the Google account piece, maybe not on a Pixel, but any other device you can. Maybe you are thinking of when you reset a phone, if you don't remove the account, you can't activate the phone without using a Google account?

As for backing up contacts and stuff, any email you use if setup properly will back that up.

The FDroid store I linked to is safe and secure and has been around a very long time. I'm surprised GG isn't a fan.
Amazon also has its own store. Samsung does if you buy a Samsung.
APK Mirror is also absolutely safe: https://www.apkmirror.com/

Old 01-13-2021, 10:06 AM

3,560 posts, read 1,651,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
The "skip" part, I don't know for sure, I have not set up any new phones lately or have I needed or wanted to skip. I knew it was possible at one time.

The sideload part is false, you can sideload anything by enabling developer options and setting "unknown sources" to ON. The developer options may not be necessary, it depends on what phone or OS. That option is sometimes located under settings, security.

The key to the unlocked part is to get unlocked and UNBRANDED. They sell them at Best Buy and Amazon for sure. Ebay mostly sells branded phones, I have one. Never been a problem either, not for me. I just disable bloatware or ignore it. Obviously former ATT is BRANDED. You want to avoid that to avoid the bloatware.

Here is an example of an unbranded and unlocked phone. I just ordered one for my wife, will get it tomorrow. I will see if there is a "skip" option. I think it will be Android 10.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B086H4C8CX/

A factory unlocked phone is different. Branded phones use their own customized version of Android with restrictions. Most people will have a branded phone. Not having root access really limits what you can do. A rooted phone really best. But look I use a relatively old feature phone without lot of current nonsense so if you want more complexity I am not person to ask. I only know what I read when I was looking for options. I too wanted modern since 3G going, going, gone. But try finding a cheap unbranded 4G LTE smartphone that you control apps installed... And as I say my feature phone had native Android tethering blocked, cause when it was an ATT phone, they wanted more money to tether. My MVNO doesnt care if I tether or not and doesnt charge extra to tether. But I have to figure it out myself. I did.

I dont know if all Android now block sideloads or only some branded phones. I did read where this is now done. I think likely its the branded phones to prevent rooting and workaround apps to tether without paying extra. Rooted Android isnt going to block sideloads and neither will factory unlocked. Though be interesting how you root an Android branded phone that has sideloads blocked.

Old 01-13-2021, 10:27 AM

7,326 posts, read 12,327,602 times
Also, Verizon and soon AT&T only activate devices that are certified to work on their network, which excludes a lot of older devices, as well as a lot of devices from Europe/Asia. While T-Mobile does not have an official whitelist system, they cannot activate devices they cannot provision VoLTE on their network, so that excludes any device without LTE.

Old 01-13-2021, 10:48 AM

2,518 posts, read 2,056,026 times
Its a thorny problem, that in the end, will require you to be quite the hacker.

Do you want to use Android, but merely minimize the presence of Google-provided apps and services?
https://www.zdnet.com/article/goodby...-your-privacy/
https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...oogle-or-apple

The easiest method here is to steamroller over the Google provided OS and Carrier Bloatware with Lineage OS. Can you wrap head around NOT using the Google Play Store? But again, you have to be quite the hacker.

Do you trust Chinese over Google: (barely suppressed giggles)
https://www.theverge.com/2020/3/25/2...ry-p40-preview

Finally, are you willing to go completely outside the Android ecosystem, and use an alternative phone O/S entirely, made of 90% USA sourced parts? Try Librem

https://puri.sm/products/librem-5-usa/

Old 01-13-2021, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
You can absolutely still skip the Google account piece, maybe not on a Pixel, but any other device you can. Maybe you are thinking of when you reset a phone, if you don't remove the account, you can't activate the phone without using a Google account?

As for backing up contacts and stuff, any email you use if setup properly will back that up.

The FDroid store I linked to is safe and secure and has been around a very long time. I'm surprised GG isn't a fan.
Amazon also has its own store. Samsung does if you buy a Samsung.
APK Mirror is also absolutely safe: https://www.apkmirror.com/
The skip part I will find out tomorrow on a very new phone but it doesn't make sense. You should be able to skip. It's your phone and you should not be forced to do anything. You could always go back to settings, account and delete the google account. I know for sure you can do that.

If you want to automatically back up contacts and photos etc through google, it requires a google account. Makes sense? It does not have to be gmail though, that is a myth. I use a hotmail account (my email) as my google account. There are many other ways to backup your stuff besides google. I would rather not hassle with it if I don't need to so, I like automatic.

Amazon app store I use but is limited when compared to play store. As for Samsung I don't have a Samsung phone and I don't need more crap.

Not familiar with FDroid, I'll give that a look but don't really need it. APK Mirror is not an app store, it is web site where you can download and install APKs which I do on occasion. It is useful for older versions of apps if you need them and yes they are safe. I assume they verify and check their APKs. When I say it's not an app store, I mean it is not fully integrated with the apps on your phone. There is no "service" as there is with the play store. They do offer an installer app. It is available directly from them and ironically on the play store. That may offer integration, would not know since I don't use it. If I want to install something from there, I open it up in a browser or push a link to my phone.
https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/apkmir...ller-official/

Old 01-13-2021, 01:02 PM

16,544 posts, read 19,676,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
If you want to automatically back up contacts and photos etc through google, it requires a google account. Makes sense?
Make sense? Really?
You absolutely do not need to use a Google account. You can use any email account that works through the cloud. You can use Yahoo, the Yahoo app and Yahoo will synch your contacts to Yahoo.com. You can use Outlook and Hotmail and synch your contacts and calendar to Hotmail. Nice and safe in any provider you choose to use.
Quote:
Amazon app store I use but is limited when compared to play store. As for Samsung I don't have a Samsung phone and I don't need more crap.
I was trying to help OP, not you.

Quote:
Not familiar with FDroid, I'll give that a look but don't really need it.
That was for OP, not you.

Quote:
APK Mirror is not an app store, it is web site where you can download and install APKs which I do on occasion.
And which OP might be interested in.

I'd like to know why SupBUD thinks you need to be quite the hacker. I I don't think OP is up for rooting and ROM'ing. None of which needs done.

Old 01-13-2021, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Make sense? Really?
You absolutely do not need to use a Google account. You can use any email account that works through the cloud. You can use Yahoo, the Yahoo app and Yahoo will synch your contacts to Yahoo.com. You can use Outlook and Hotmail and synch your contacts and calendar to Hotmail. Nice and safe in any provider you choose to use.

I was trying to help OP, not you.
Contacts is the least of the problems. I also mentioned photos. The OP did not even mention backing up, I did. So it's pretty obvious why you mentioned it.

Can you backup photos with Yahoo?
Can you backup app data using Yahoo?

Quote:
The FDroid store I linked to is safe and secure and has been around a very long time. I'm surprised GG isn't a fan
This ring a bell?

Old 01-13-2021, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJ99 View Post
I dont know if all Android now block sideloads or only some branded phones. I did read where this is now done. I think likely its the branded phones to prevent rooting and workaround apps to tether without paying extra. Rooted Android isnt going to block sideloads and neither will factory unlocked. Though be interesting how you root an Android branded phone that has sideloads blocked.
You can sideload on ANY device and root ANY device. Guaranteed.

They can't block anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones